Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:44 pm

Concur.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:59 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
That was exactly how the book was written. Gay, check. Master race, check. Unnecessary violence, check.

It doesn't hold up over time very well IMO. Maybe the 80's or 90's were better for that sort of vibe but today it's just annoying. "What if Lestat had a Tik-Tok account at his disposal" ends up with the same results as "what if Hitler had the technology of television to reach a wider audience". Should have written them all as some tribe of disgusting child-raping futanari* to fit in much better with today's total social & cultural idiocy.

* and I'm disgusted with myself for spending so much time on the internet that I even know what some of these idiot words mean, instead of doing much better and purposeful things with my life over the last twenty years

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:53 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Not much to watch right now. Just Andor and the remnants of The Walking Dead.

Try one of these if you missed them.

Werewolf by Night - A Disney + TV special from the eponymous Marvel Comic character. Done so good you'll quickly forget it's in black and white. I could give you a plot spoilers but surprises help make it work.

The Imperfects - "premiered on Netflix on September 8, 2022. Promoted as a "coming of rage" story, it follows three young adults pursuing the mad scientist who tampered with their DNA, resulting in disruptive superpowers."

Locke and Key - A 5 season series that came to an end in 2022. You can get by with the final season and the finale is decent. Wraps everything up. But the whole run is worth it.

Warrior Nun - You've no doubt heard of it but if you rejected it because it sounded dumb you cheated yourself. Start from the first season.

Wednesday - Speaking of sounds dumb you could say that about the updating of Wednesday Addams from the Addams family to a CW-ish teen in a school for outcast supernaturals. You wouldn't be wrong. Reminds me of Sabrina, if you saw that. But what makes it work or at least almost work is the performance of the lead, Jenna Ortega. I'll show you what I mean.

I'm starting The Peripheral next. Supposed to be some sort of dimensions hopping thing.

Waiting for Yellowstone: 1923, just for the cast mostly - Harrison Ford and Hellen Mirren.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:34 pm

Great show, amazed they made it considering just how badly they squandered the rest of star wars.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:36 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:26 am

Smeghead!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:51 am

The Peripheral is good.

Like real good.

Well it is if you can get into the harder sci fi where varying challenging concepts are flooding your conscious.

I found it to be one of those where you turn it on...then it's over. And you're thinking what happened? Where did the rest of it go? That's how you know you found a good one.

You'd pretty much have to start this one in Season One. If you wait for season two it will be too late.

You won't have a clue what's going on.

It's probably not for all tastes. I wouldn't recommend it for the type who say thought the last retconned version of Doctor Who was worth one shit much less two and still think they're a fan of actual Doctor Who.

But if you can get into The Peripheral, it's great.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:02 pm

Soon.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:48 am

Willow on Disney is turning out to be surprisingly good. Between the production values (of which Disney can never be accused of shortchanging) and that they've made all the characters interesting from the get-go its actually been a lot of fun so far. A nice bit of whimsy overall mixed together with some real grimdark on the part of the bad guys. This is what The Witcher and The Wheel of Time could have been like if the producers had bothered to make the characters into people the viewer could care about. For all their many flaws, both corporate and in terms of conception (i.e. the Star Wars sequels) when Disney puts the effort in to do something right they typically quite convincingly succeed. Def looking forward to more Willow IMO.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:33 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:56 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:07 pm

Letterman being relevant in over a decade... surreal.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:59 pm

I quite liked his series 'My Next Guest'. I didn't know some of them, and I very much enjoyed the conversations.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:44 am

SAS Rogue Heroes (Prime) was a blast - watched it over the last few nights.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:23 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Willow on Disney is turning out to be surprisingly good. Between the production values (of which Disney can never be accused of shortchanging) and that they've made all the characters interesting from the get-go its actually been a lot of fun so far. A nice bit of whimsy overall mixed together with some real grimdark on the part of the bad guys. This is what The Witcher and The Wheel of Time could have been like if the producers had bothered to make the characters into people the viewer could care about.

Different strokes, I guess.

My rating for Willow would be, Blechhh...

However...I'm still watching it. Can't seem to stop. It was the same way with She Hulk and Ms Marvel. I could tell they were junk but couldn't stop watching.

As to the rest, my rating would go more like this:

Witcher Season 1: ***
Wheel of time: **
Witcher Season 2: 1*1/2
Willow: 1*1/2

I would save the single star rating for something truly unwatchable by anybody who wasn't just faking it like say...that last Chris Chipnall woke version of Doctor Who or Batwoman.

Last edited by N_Fiddledog on Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1979 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 121  122  123  124  125  126  127 ... 132  Next