bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Dragon-Dancer Dragon-Dancer:
What if you can't afford that education? Do you realize how much education costs these days and how little you can manage to get out of student loans given some social backgrounds? Case in point I have a very good friend who was trying to do just what you suggest. She's been living on minimum or near minimum wage jobs since she got out of high school. Her parents never made enough to be able to help her get higher education so when she got into a course she tried to secure a student loan. Since she never made enough to develop much credit history most places refused her outright and the rest would hardly give her enough to pay her tuition much less pay for a place to life and or food. That basically has left higher education completely out of reach for her.

Just saying to someone they needs to better themselves to archive isn't enough. Some need a leg up to get over that basic hurdle to start with.

First off, your friend is a "she" which means she already is pre-qualified for a ton of bursaries, scholarships, grants .....etc. All she has to do look into it and apply and I'll guarantee she will get some form of assistance.

Secondly, unless the woman has some sort of nightmare credit rating which you have already indicated she doesn't, she will qualify for federal and provincial student loans.

Thirdly, there are a ton of people who are probably worse off than her that have managed to go to school. It sounds like your more interested in making excuses for your friend than you are in helping her do some ground work and getting her the information she needs to get her act together enough to get an education.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:11 pm

No doubt. Unless someone really tanked out on their grades in high school because they were too busy partying or clowning around, student loans at all levels have always been relatively easy to get approval for. With the intensity of social program assistance that saturates Canada from coast-to-coast these days it's hard to imaging that there's anyone out there at all anymore who isn't elligible for some kind of funding if they truly require it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:14 pm

Hell even if she tanked in high school EI will not only pay for her to retake the courses she needs they will also allow her to collect EI while going to school.

The only reason to not get a higher education in this country is a lack of willingness.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Most universities have contingency budgets for students in need. Many individual faculties within universities also have contingency budgets (our's does). If a student can get in, he/she can stay in.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Dragon-Dancer Dragon-Dancer:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Learn to speak English well enough to communicate in a broader array of Canadian workplaces.

That makes a pretty broad assumption.

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Go to school and enhance your qualifications so that you are a viable prospect to compete for a better paying job and therefore ensuring you have a more fiscally secure retirement.

What if you can't afford that education? Do you realize how much education costs these days and how little you can manage to get out of student loans given some social backgrounds? Case in point I have a very good friend who was trying to do just what you suggest. She's been living on minimum or near minimum wage jobs since she got out of high school. Her parents never made enough to be able to help her get higher education so when she got into a course she tried to secure a student loan. Since she never made enough to develop much credit history most places refused her outright and the rest would hardly give her enough to pay her tuition much less pay for a place to life and or food. That basically has left higher education completely out of reach for her.

Just saying to someone they needs to better themselves to archive isn't enough. Some need a leg up to get over that basic hurdle to start with.

I wasn't in a position to take the path I first wanted and as Gunny suggested, the military is a choice I took. We all have choices, we can take the tough ones like join up, emigrate, go back to school or we can just make excuses why we can't get this or that.

I made some tough choices and it's not been easy but I'm happy that I gave things my best shot. Just moaning about things isn't the way I do business.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:17 am

:rock: :D

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:21 am

Sorry, I am new to this site. Like to say hello to everyone, I have folowed these threads for a while and am familiar with most of you. Eyebrock, I agree with you, I also made some hard choices, puled myself up, and became a respected member of the military.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 am

$1:

Ambition is all they need.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:42 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
bootlegga bootlegga:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
man, listening to some forums, and some FB comments, no wonder the Liberals got turfed. The losers are all bitching about how the people who voted for a conservative majority are stupid and not aware of the real issues. What a contemptuous and contemptible lot. Like most self declared 'progressives' they are paternalistic and undemocratic.

Yeah, it could be worse - they could have been conservatives visiting Conservative-run social media sites where commenting was disabled...after all, you can't let the little people dissent or talk about anything other than the party line!

I think you missed the point. There's a bunch of sore losers out there being whiney bitches.

Not at all - but my point that the Conservatives don't like discussion on social media sites is also relevant in this case. Had Harper suffered a loss like the Liberals, Conservatives couldn't comment on it at all (or in this case - comment on their victory).

That says something about the difference between the two sides - one sees social media as one-way street and a tool to push out its platform and the other sees it as a two-way street and a tool for open discussion. I don't know about you, but I know which I prefer.

Besides, sore losers being whiney bitches is nothing new - go back to the days after any election in Canadian history and the losing side always has its share of them - no matter which side of the political spectrum they sit on.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:08 pm

this makes me sad:
"Meanwhile, it’s not entirely clear that political parties can talk about values of any kind anymore, at least in the traditional sense. What’s far more popular is value — as in, value for the dollar. In recent years, the Conservatives and the New Democrats have radically reframed their platforms to be consumer-friendly, telling voters that their main electoral choices revolved around their wallets. The Liberals, meanwhile, almost quaintly continued to believe that voters wanted to keep hearing about large, overarching Canadian values — the social safety net, tolerance, democracy. Monday night’s results would appear to indicate that voters would rather hear about value singular."

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Hm, where did you get that snippet from?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:19 pm

I think what happened to the liberals they were to close to the centre political left and The conservatives are trying hard to become more centric it worked, squeezing out the liberals leaving the left with one choice the NDP. Seen as a truely left party.

The conservatives are a right wing party but slightly right of centre and a lot of their support comes from social conservatives. I for one think they will not and better not touch issues like abortion, gay marriage I.E. And even disagree with them on some policies like getting automatic jail time and a record for a couple of pot plants.

Don't worry about the doom and gloom that people are preaching out there because he has a majority. If anything my unwaivering support has turned to don't fuck this up attitude because I'd vote against them in a second if they fucked up. He survived a minority government for years, I'm hedging my bets he won't be doing anything crazy for the next 4 years.

I have respect for the Liberal party but I think they need to reorganize and come up with a clear identity with a clear set of values that wil set them apart from the rest. And they also need a good leader.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:23 pm

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
Hm, where did you get that snippet from?

Is the party over?
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/poli ... party-over

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:42 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:

Ambition is all they need.

Ambition only gets you so far.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:22 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Speaking of liberals, is Kenmore still alive? Both the Bloc and the Libs were decimated, that's gotta sting.

Haven't seen him here since before the election. Perhaps he's regrouping.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 21  22  23  24  25  Next