Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:20 am

I am not looking forward to voting federally again. I however would love to get rid of the Libs.

Could we not have then the Conservative, the NDP and Le Bloc!!! form a coalition government and free us from the Libs at last??? Each party has something to prove on this and I have no doubt that together they would do a better job than the Libs. Say the proposed coalition lasts over one or two years, the electorate could then vote on their record at pulling their socks.

Please give it some serious thoughts before dumping on this odd idea. Think about the alternative of going back to the boot and reelecting a minority Lib government. What a scary thought...

Our parliamentary system can provide for this scheme (I hope). Make Canada work including Le Bloc!!! They have got it much too easy IMHO.

I have blitz'd the Net on this with the forums on Rabble, ViveLeCanada, Politiquebec, Free Dominion and Amérique Francaise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:31 am

There’s no way a coalition would work between the NPD (left wing), Conservatives (right wing) and the Bloc (left wing… but only defending Quebec interest). That’s my personal opinion.
If Canadians want to reelect the Liberals it’s up to them, I’m backing the Bloc all the way and I gave up on other federal parties a while ago (voted for the Liberals up to 97). If Canadians think that the Liberals have done enough to earn their trust well… I think that’s just goes to show how lame Federal politics are. I mean come on, firearm registration fiasco, sponsorship scandal, circus of the Gomery commission, corruption, etc… and people still give them their vote, why? Because there is no other alternative for them and I don’t think the solution relies in a last minute coalition between 3 parties that share different visions of Canada.
I understand your desperation, I’m quite disappointed when I check the polls and see the Libs ahead…
Viva Canada! Banana Republika! (I know, it’s harsh, but it’s the only I found to vent my frustration towards the Liberals… (for Seinfeld fans, it’s my equivalent of Serenity now!!! Outchie Mamaaaa!!!)

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:16 am

I am with Mr. Layton all the way.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:31 am

Jean_Cretin Jean_Cretin:
There’s no way a coalition would work between the NPD (left wing), Conservatives (right wing) and the Bloc (left wing… but only defending Quebec interest). That’s my personal opinion.

I disagree then. There are commonalities between the parties that they could work on. The Liberals and the NDP see eye to eye on some thing, as do the Cons and Liberals on others. Even the Cons and NDP have similar views on things like the Criminal code and sentencing reforms.

The thing is, they don't want to work together, when the people of Canada have elected a minority government to tell them to compromise. What they should do is put aside ther differences, and work together on the common ground that each party platform offers.

The alternative is for Canadians to vote for parties that would work for Canadians, even in a minority situation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:12 am

IceOwl IceOwl:
Jean_Cretin Jean_Cretin:

Then we'll have another election. And another, and another, and another, until the parties realize they need to wake up and do something instead of squabbling.

Here Here!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:15 pm

hmm... I like the idea of a coalition government formed by the three opposition parties. Right now they are cooperating quite nicely (Layton, Duceppe and Harper to meet in a couple of days) but could they make a coalition governmet work for any meaningful length of time? No.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:29 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
IceOwl IceOwl:
Jean_Cretin Jean_Cretin:

Then we'll have another election. And another, and another, and another, until the parties realize they need to wake up and do something instead of squabbling.

Here Here!

I agree, but do you really think, in the actual political context this will happen? Layton just got out of bed with the Libs and no political party will trust him. The Bloc is just there waiting for the next referendum, so they’ll keep backing projects that are important to them but won’t play a big role. The situation in Quebec is different (yes, I know, as usual…), the Blocs votes are secure and they will come in strong at the next elections. The PQ should easily remove Jean Charest and the Liberals and then a referendum will take place. To be quite honest this is what keeps me running, I would be quite disappointed if all I had to look for was 4 more years of Liberal shenanigans.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:32 pm

Streaker Streaker:
hmm... I like the idea of a coalition government formed by the three opposition parties. Right now they are cooperating quite nicely (Layton, Duceppe and Harper to meet in a couple of days) but could they make a coalition governmet work for any meaningful length of time? No.

And let the electorate decide on the basis of who is screwing it up next time we go back voting. I can ensure you that Quebecois will make the Bloc pay at the poll if they are not doing the work they are asked to do. I hope the ROC would similarly do that at their end. The People have to take control of this farce.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:53 pm

gaulois gaulois:
Streaker Streaker:
hmm... I like the idea of a coalition government formed by the three opposition parties. Right now they are cooperating quite nicely (Layton, Duceppe and Harper to meet in a couple of days) but could they make a coalition government work for any meaningful length of time? No.

And let the electorate decide on the basis of who is screwing it up next time we go back voting. I can ensure you that Quebecois will make the Bloc pay at the poll if they are not doing the work they are asked to do. I hope the ROC would similarly do that at their end. The People have to take control of this farce.

Keep one thing in mind, in Quebec Conservatives and NPD ads up to 0. It’s between the Libs and the Bloc and after what the Libs did (provincial and federal) they will need a miracle to keep the seats they currently have. The Bloc doesn’t need to revamp or prove anything, just hold on and wait for the elections.

This is a site I check for polls and tendencies: http://www.nodice.ca/elections/canada/polls.php

You guys have sites I could check for more info?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:02 pm

gaulois gaulois:
Streaker Streaker:

I completely agree but I'm having a hard time seeing Layton or Duceppe cooperating with Harper. The ideological gulf seems too great to bridge. If the three could cooperate they would show themselves to be statesmen rather than petty politicians but only Layton has shown traces of this statesmanship recently.

A big grassroots groundswell of public support might provide the necessary motivation.

It'll be interesting to see what these three guys cook up when they get together in a couple of days.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:05 pm

$1:
Layton has shown traces of this statesmanship recently

Attachments:
jack11.jpg
jack11.jpg [ 153.96 KiB | Viewed 91 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:06 pm

PDT_Armataz_01_02

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:28 pm

Dumping the Libs: it can be done!!!

Yep sure can. It was so sad today in QP when some of the Liberals were saying their goodbyes; I had a tear in my eye. Tears of joy.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:57 pm

Go Conservatives!