canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Zipperfish wrote:
Translation: Zipperfish is right and I was a fool to ever argue with him. I tip my hat to his insightful and inciteful repartee, and readily, once again, admit defeat at the hands of a superior opponent.

We were arguing? Repartee? No. I would have had to partee for you to repartee. Your haphazard, anti-economist slag doesn't qualify. :P

Zipperfish wrote:
I was just "taking the piss", as the Brits say, with the original comment Lemmy. Sorry if that didn't come across. [B-o]

One must exercise care when pissing to avoid splash-back. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Lemmy wrote:
We were arguing? Repartee? No. I would have had to partee for you to repartee.

hey I'm always up for a par-tay!

Lemmy wrote:
Your haphazard, anti-economist slag doesn't qualify. :P

Well, if it's any consolation, you are slowly curing me of my anti-economist impulses. Seriously I don't even know where they even came from. I think they came from a grad prof of mine--an economist who didn't like economics and spent most of his time launching scuds at the pillars of neoclassical economic theory.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Zipperfish wrote:
Well, if it's any consolation, you are slowly curing me of my anti-economist impulses.

You started out pissing on me and now you're hitting on me?

Zipperfish wrote:
Seriously I don't even know where they even came from. I think they came from a grad prof of mine--an economist who didn't like economics and spent most of his time launching scuds at the pillars of neoclassical economic theory.

That's what we do, even those of us that like economics. Dismal science? Nah, we're the self-deprecating science. [B-o]

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:42 pm

OnTheIce wrote:
So the Liberals and NDP signed off on the stimulus package although they wanted it higher. So your argument that they signed off on a lower package is mute as they in fact, wanted more to be spent.

They wanted more to be spent but they had no say in where or how it was spent...they wanted more spent and in different areas...and no, I am not referring to the con ridings, I am referring to areas in a non-geographical sense.

andyt wrote:
smorgdonkey wrote:

The GST cut was the most ridiculous move I've seen by a supposedly 'brilliant' politician. The GST is a consumption tax. It should have been left alone...BUT...it gives RICH people a tax break when they buy big things. They should have cut the lowest bracket of income taxes...but no, that won't help the rich. EVERY single thing that he has done has helped the rich...and here come the corporate tax breaks.

It was brilliant politically because the non-rich don't see it your way. And since it's a regressive tax, I do have some difficulty in following along how it's supposedly a tax on the rich. Sure they buy more, but as a proportion of their income they buy less, invest more.

You ARE RIGHT. It was brilliant politically, because the people who don't see it, don't understand that 2% of SFA is SFA...but they do think "he helped us".

I didn't say that it was necessarily a 'tax on the rich'. It does happen to be an efficient tax now that it has been in place for 20 something years (or forever). A tax on the rich? Yes. There should be...but there won't be.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:02 am

smorgdonkey wrote:

A tax on the rich? Yes. There should be...but there won't be.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:24 am

Ah the good old 'Harper put us in the reccesion' BS.

No he did not. Not with a minority government. That budget WAS signed off by both the Libs and the Bloc (I am unsure about the NDP).

Lefties always seem to forget this little tidbit.

NOTHING has happened inside parliment without Lib or PQ support. That is why it is called a MINORITY government.

So if you have problems with the budget, blame the appropriate government...all of them!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:30 am

I don't blame any of them. Spending during the recession was necessary. I do blame the Cons for how the money was spent, that was under their control.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:38 am

andyt,

Everything and anything the cons did while under minority could have been stopped by the opposition.

They did nothing. Knowing that something is wrong and doing nothing is just as bad as participating.

As for spending during a recession...the only people that should have been spending are the people. They should have cut income tax to the low and middle class and upped the GST to 10%. Would have been far more effective than anything the government did.

As a side note, in construction, we refer to the government's spending programs as "The Gravy Trains". That should tell you everything you need to know about the effectiveness of government spending programs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:41 am

I don't think the opposition is in a position to determine how the money gets spent - that's not debated in parliament. As you say the CPC gravytrains. If it makes you feel better, I doubt the Libs would have done better. Well at least with Paul Martin gone.

The best return for the govt buck, so the economists said, would have been putting money into EI and as you say, cut taxes. But I think our infrastructure in Canada is in bad shape, and it's going to take govt money to fix it. Instead of building playgrounds and such, that should have been addressed more.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:42 am

Wow. You two discussing economics is, well, like...

...midget wrestling.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:03 am

And posting pics is as useful as federal fiscal policies...what is your point?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:16 am

Lemmy wrote:

...midget wrestling.

Are you saying that EI doesn't have one of the largest multiplier effects for govt spending? Are you saying that our infrastructure is in great shape, or that improving it during a recession isn't a good use of the money?

I guess you like to bully the midgets. What's the matter, none of the big economists want to play with you, so you have to come to the little sandbox and throw your weight around? How about when you make your pronouncements of economic truth you at least acknowledge that for every one of them, another economist likely says the exact opposite? Doesn't get kinda weird for you dispensing your wisdom here when you could be writing in a journal or such where your peer will comment on it?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:24 am

Peck. Regarding the gravy train, I have not doubt about it. I used to work in construction, and worked on some cost plus jobs - holy shit. But what's your solution to building public works? That's going to be public money in one form or another. And P3's have proven themselves to be as much or more of a boondoggle as when the govt uses it's own money.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:29 am

Lemmy wrote:

...midget wrestling.

Heh, the dude handing out the full nelson looks like King Kong Bundy's mini-me :lol:

Last edited by PublicAnimalNo9 on Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:30 am

peck420 wrote:
And posting pics is as useful as federal fiscal policies...what is your point?

My point is that if you believe
Quote:
As for spending during a recession...the only people that should have been spending are the people. They should have cut income tax to the low and middle class and upped the GST to 10%. Would have been far more effective than anything the government did. As a side note, in construction, we refer to the government's spending programs as "The Gravy Trains". That should tell you everything you need to know about the effectiveness of government spending programs.
would be taken as a meaningful comment on the recession stimulus by anyone with even a 1st year understanding of economics, you're very much mistaken.

And andy, you're not even astute enough to realize when someone's agreeing with you.