canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:21 am

he needs to pull a reverse Stronach and go over to the Conservatives.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:36 am

I’m pretty shocked by the results for the Liberals. I don’t think Iggy ran that bad of a campaign and I’m at a loss as to why the Liberals did so poorly. I don’t think he was that bad of a guy and he deserves a pat on the back for everything he has done to date. It’s kind of a sad ending for him though and I have a feeling he will be blamed for the poor results which I don’t feel is entirely fair. I wish him well in whatever he chooses to do in the future.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:15 am

SteveK SteveK:

Personally, I see it as a sad reflection of the political culture recently growing here. When campaigns start becoming based on fear and attacks, something is very wrong.

This culture isn't recent, it's been going on for a long time. The CPC just happens to be better at it at the present time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:16 am

Well he said people had a choice between a blue door and a red door and he ended up being shown the door.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:21 am

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
I’m pretty shocked by the results for the Liberals. I don’t think Iggy ran that bad of a campaign and I’m at a loss as to why the Liberals did so poorly. I don’t think he was that bad of a guy and he deserves a pat on the back for everything he has done to date. It’s kind of a sad ending for him though and I have a feeling he will be blamed for the poor results which I don’t feel is entirely fair. I wish him well in whatever he chooses to do in the future.

It was pretty shocking. I expected a loss but not this bad. The NDP momentum and subsequent vote split handed a lot of ridings to the CPC. Iggy wasn't totally to blame but then neither was Dion. Layton picked up a great deal of support based entirely on his fighting the good fight attitude and the fact that he has been around so long people became accustomed to him. I thought we should have stuck with Dion. He should have taken his licks and gone right back to work. The irony is he is one of the 34 remaining Libs to win a seat. Harper lost his first time out also.

Great for the NDP but as the ADQ found out, success in Quebec is precarious to say the least. Layton might well have won a Pyrrhic victory since he can no longer play the supporting role in exchange for platform planks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:06 am

Not a big shock, should have done it last night though.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:10 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

Well when you had your ass kicked like he had last night it might take a little while before you can compose yourself enough to do the right thing.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 am

He had no alternative. Iggy singlehandedly ruined the Liberal party. Even though Ive been Conservative for a while, I had a level of respect for Paul Martin back in the day. Stephane Dion didn't bother me, because the man was real and not an arrogant fool.

Iggy came in thinking his party was 'the only logical party to govern Canada.'
When you start telling people wo they should vote for, chances are your going to get creamed sooner or later.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:17 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
He had no alternative. Iggy singlehandedly ruined the Liberal party.

-J.

I wouldn't put the blame on Ignatieff. The LPC made two big errors in a row, first Dion and then Ignatieff.

The Liberal Party membership are the ones responsible for putting these two men at the helm of the party.

They have to pick a new leader that can connect with voters and I hope it's not Bob Rae or Justin Trudeau...new blood, new vision, new direction.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:18 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

He did. Todays announcement was just a formality.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:19 am

Yogi Yogi:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

He did. Todays announcement was just a formality.

He didn't officially resign as Duceppe did...he just rambled on for 20 minutes and didn't do what everyone was waiting for him to do.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:24 am

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:

True, the smear campaign was quite nasty. He is a decient guy, something rare for political officials these days. While it is nice to see the Bloc get reduced to being slightly more relevant to Canadian Politics than the Green party (more mickey mouse) it's a bit sad to see what happened to Iggy. All may not be lost to him however he can come down here and pretend to be an American and possibly rejoin the liberals to run for a seat the next time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:40 am

Title: Ignatieff says he'll step down as federal Liberal leader after historic defeat
Category: Political
Posted By: QBall
Date: 2011-05-03 07:36:31
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:40 am

That's what he should have done last night along with Gilles.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:08 am

martin14 martin14:
Bye Bye Iggy, go back to the States and vote there you useless fuck.

That's an intelligent contribution, especially from an ex-pat. :roll: