bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:49 pm

Bodah Bodah:
I liked how Duceppe tried to corner Layton into throwing his support behind bill 101 in Québec.

Watching Layton squirm his way out of that one was priceless.

just like he was squirming on the gun registry.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Had to work but I see I didn't miss a dam thing.

Harper was a robot.

Iggy was a wooden fool.

Layton was a clown.

The only cool guy was the guy who had nothing to lose and should have never been there to begin with.

No big surprises, no gaffs, no pulse. Iggy didn't lose but he had to win. Now it's a ground game up to the local candidates because the leaders are useless and no one has a platform that isn't recycled garbage. Harper won't get his majority and that will keep Iggy around. Maybe when Jack steps down in two years for the next pointless election we will have a break in the numbers.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:00 pm

I only watched a portion of the debate. I grew tired of the other three party leaders ganging up on Harper. I commend Harper for his coolheaded responses and replies. He didn't resort to trying to defame the other parties, and instead simply promoted his own party and their ideals.

Layton also performed very well in my opinion, and I applauded a little when he actually irked Harper in regards to the healthcare issue and the privatization.

Duceppe annoyed me. Most of his comments, rebuttals or questions directed at the other leaders revolved around how they would benefit quebec. In regards to bill 101 and his 'cornering' of Layton, I couldn't help but balk a little. I understand Quebec's desire to be their own culture, but Duceppe made it sound like Quebec wants to not accept any immigrants. However, I may have misheard.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Proculation Proculation:
Curtman Curtman:
I loved the "What corporate tax cuts?" response from Harper.

Corporate tax cuts needed: Harper
$1:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper is dismissing demands from opposition parties to cancel planned corporate tax cuts ahead of his government's tabling of the budget.

You can't tax yourself into prosperity.

You can certainly untax yourself into poverty. Our friends down south - perfect example.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:59 am

My take on the debate:

Jack Layton:

Usually the one who makes the clearest points and has some great one-liners. He did well, but with the NDP being almost always irrelevant, I doubt his strong performance will help him. He always does well, yet it doesn't turn into support.

Stephen Harper:

Robotic as usual, didn't crack under the attacks which was what he had to do. His responses were very bland and boring but I think he made his points when necessary.

Michael Ignatieff

I have to admit, I expected him to come out hard. Being the smart guy that he is, I was surprised when he started to show his nerves and his speech was indicitive of that. He was all over the place, tripping over his own words. Unpolished.

I think Layton won the debate, as I have thought that for the past few debates. I think his line to Ignatieff regarding his absense was a knock-out blow that left Iffy speachless.

When posed the same questions after the debate, Ignatieff refused to answer and walked away.

$1:
"If you want to be prime minister, you'd better learn how to be a member of Parliament first," Layton said.

"You know, most Canadians, if they don't show up for work, they don't get a promotion. You missed 70 per cent of the votes."

Ignatieff sputtered that he had no lessons to learn about democracy from Layton but he didn't directly refute the claim. No doubt, that's because Ignatieff's voting record is, on its face, dismal.

According to howdtheyvote.ca, Ignatieff missed 135 votes in the final session of the last Parliament — the worst record of any MP. By contrast, Prime Minister Stephen Harper missed 82 and Layton only 20.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/layton-charges ... 3-554.html

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 am

I don't know how people watch these debates. They are one liners, accusations and theatrical. I can't quite follow all their spending promises in the newspaper and I certainly would expect them to clear anything up in the debates. Mud.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:46 am

We had a lot of spin yesterday instead of direct answer to question. I know that in the american media you guy's are accustomed to this kind of dishonest diversion But I doubt that this will work in the french debate.

People will automatically notice and goes WTF is that the case.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:47 am

I didn't watch it, I played hockey last night..........it was better for my health.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:51 am

Well, guys were feeling nervous. I was expecting more from Harper.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:00 am

Elvis Elvis:
We had a lot of spin yesterday instead of direct answer to question. I know that in the american media you guy's are accustomed to this kind of dishonest diversion But I doubt that this will work in the french debate.

You mean all eight people who watch the french debate?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:06 am

sept! Lucien 'e gots to go to the doctor for 'is colon checks up.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 am

QBC QBC:
Elvis Elvis:

1.4 million people tuned into the French-language leaders' debate in 2008.

So i guess more than 8 people will watch.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:21 am

Elvis Elvis:
QBC QBC:
Elvis Elvis:

1.4 million people tuned into the French-language leaders' debate in 2008.

So i guess more than 8 people will watch.

That was joke, don't take it serious :) Or have you been one of theese 8? :D

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:23 am

With the Habs playing?....you'll be luck to get eight people watching the ever so exciting and meaningful debate... :lol:

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:24 am

QBC QBC:
With the Habs playing?....you'll be luck to get eight people watching the ever so exciting and meaningful debate... :lol:

My thinking exactly!