CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:37 am
 


The Sun is the paper that first linked the conservatives with the robocalls stuff. It's the paper one that's been going after that staffer who resigned, even tho the record shows that he did not access the voters list. So if he was involved, at least one other conservative functionary in Guelph was too - one of the 15 people who did access that list. This poor guy is being hung out to dry by his own people.

Since the National Post is too far left for Brock, I don't understand how the tightie righties get their story out at all.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 21444
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:38 am
 


Zipperfish wrote:
The CBC is balanced by the National Post and their newspapers, in my opinion.


Methinks you are thinking of Sun Media - the most right wing group of media in this country.

http://www.canoe.ca/SunMedia/

EyeBrock wrote:
Really Zip? The National Post is owned by the Liberal stalwarts, the Aspers. In case you haven't read it for a while, its hardly a CPC supporter these days.


I'd say you're incorrect too - most of the Canwest Media papers try to be bi-partisan, publishing both righties like Lorne Gunter and lefties like Graham Thomson with regularity, although I'd argue that the National Post falls to the right of the Globe and Mail.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:43 am
 


THERE HAVEN'T BEEN ANY FUCKING CANWEST PAPERS FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4247
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 am
 


andyt wrote:
The Sun is the paper that first linked the conservatives with the robocalls stuff. It's the paper one that's been going after that staffer who resigned, even tho the record shows that he did not access the voters list. So if he was involved, at least one other conservative functionary in Guelph was too - one of the 15 people who did access that list. This poor guy is being hung out to dry by his own people.

Since the National Post is too far left for Brock, I don't understand how the tightie righties get their story out at all.


I don't think so Andy but I could be wrong. I remember the exact day the story broke on the CBC. The big story for most other organizations was the Jessie Sansone story. The only organization that didn’t cover that story was the CBC because they were leading with the robocall scandal. I don't think the Sun even picked up the Robocall scandal until a few days later. Michael Sona didn’t resign until a day or two after the story broke if my memory serves me right.

*I'm positive that the first Robocall report by the CBC was on Feb 24th. It was a Friday and I was watching the National and I was wondering why they didn't cover Jessie Sansone's story.


Last edited by dino_bobba_renno on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15681
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 am
 


Oh I think the NP is right of the G+M Boots. The Globe is increasingly left leaning.

I stopped getting the NP when it stopped being a reporter of news and became another narrative.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:54 am
 


dino_bobba_renno wrote:
andyt wrote:
The Sun is the paper that first linked the conservatives with the robocalls stuff. It's the paper one that's been going after that staffer who resigned, even tho the record shows that he did not access the voters list. So if he was involved, at least one other conservative functionary in Guelph was too - one of the 15 people who did access that list. This poor guy is being hung out to dry by his own people.

Since the National Post is too far left for Brock, I don't understand how the tightie righties get their story out at all.


I don't think so Andy but I could be wrong. I remember the exact day the story broke on the CBC. The big story for most other organizations was the Jessie Sansone story. The only organization that didn’t cover that story was the CBC because they were leading with the robocall scandal. I don't think the Sun even picked up the Robocall scandal until a few days later. Michael Sona didn’t resign until a day or two after the story broke if my memory serves me right.


I don't read the Sun. But McLeans, run by the former editor of the NP (under Conrad, when it was a fair and balanced paper) has told me it is the Sun who is pushing the idea that Sona must be the guilty one, based on unnamed conservative sources. AFAIK, it's the investigation by the National Post that broke this story - and are you seriously saying the media is biased because they broke this story? The charge against the CBC is reporting that 30,000 complaints have been lodged. Well that certainly didn't happen til the story had some legs, and again, you're saying they shouldn't report this?

Face it. There was certainly some shit that happened in Guelph. All indicators are it's the conservatives, and more than just one bad apple, and if Harper doesn't manage to shut down the investigation, that will come out in the fullness of time. And for the other ridings, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some fire behind the smoke there too. Since elections Canada moves so slowly, it will be a long time before we hear anything concrete. Which is what happened with the in and out scandal.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4247
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:01 am
 


andyt wrote:
dino_bobba_renno wrote:
andyt wrote:
The Sun is the paper that first linked the conservatives with the robocalls stuff. It's the paper one that's been going after that staffer who resigned, even tho the record shows that he did not access the voters list. So if he was involved, at least one other conservative functionary in Guelph was too - one of the 15 people who did access that list. This poor guy is being hung out to dry by his own people.

Since the National Post is too far left for Brock, I don't understand how the tightie righties get their story out at all.


I don't think so Andy but I could be wrong. I remember the exact day the story broke on the CBC. The big story for most other organizations was the Jessie Sansone story. The only organization that didn’t cover that story was the CBC because they were leading with the robocall scandal. I don't think the Sun even picked up the Robocall scandal until a few days later. Michael Sona didn’t resign until a day or two after the story broke if my memory serves me right.


I don't read the Sun. But McLeans, run by the former editor of the NP (under Conrad, when it was a fair and balanced paper) has told me it is the Sun who is pushing the idea that Sona must be the guilty one, based on unnamed conservative sources. AFAIK, it's the investigation by the National Post that broke this story - and are you seriously saying the media is biased because they broke this story? The charge against the CBC is reporting that 30,000 complaints have been lodged. Well that certainly didn't happen til the story had some legs, and again, you're saying they shouldn't report this?

Face it. There was certainly some shit that happened in Guelph. All indicators are it's the conservatives, and more than just one bad apple, and if Harper doesn't manage to shut down the investigation, that will come out in the fullness of time. And for the other ridings, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some fire behind the smoke there too. Since elections Canada moves so slowly, it will be a long time before we hear anything concrete. Which is what happened with the in and out scandal.


You took all of that out of that one post. Holy shit buddy. I was trying to say that I thought the CBC broke the story and I even pointed out that I might be mistaken on that. Maybe take a scroll up to where I said that I think that the CBC was right to report on the robocall scandal but disagree with how they went about it.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:08 am
 


I don't watch the CBC either, so can't comment on just how much lefty propaganda they spewed. Mostly I get my info from the Globe and Mail and the Vancouver Sun. Sure there's been some speculation in it that the conservatives are behind this. Speculation that seems merited to me. I think the conservatives are in defensive mode here - if this was a Liberal scandal they'd be cheering on the media, and the media would be doing exactly what it's doing now.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4247
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 am
 


andyt wrote:
I don't watch the CBC either, so can't comment on just how much lefty propaganda they spewed. Mostly I get my info from the Globe and Mail and the Vancouver Sun. Sure there's been some speculation in it that the conservatives are behind this. Speculation that seems merited to me. I think the conservatives are in defensive mode here - if this was a Liberal scandal they'd be cheering on the media, and the media would be doing exactly what it's doing now.


I think everyone is pretty clear on the fact that some Conservatives are behind this Andy. What’s in question is to what degree, how high up it went, how prevalent these robocalls were in the last election and if they had any impact on the election results. Also in question is if other parties engaged in the same type of actions.

To date there has been no conclusive proof to suggest that that this was a wide spread conspiracy by the Conservatives to defraud the Canadian public and influence the election results. All we have so are a few isolated and random cases of some over zealous party members (and maybe MP’s) who did this on their own but that isn’t how the CBC covered it. They made it out to be like 31,000 were robbed of their vote and that the Conservative Party led Harper orchestrated a large scale election fraud.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:25 am
 


And are you saying the CBC or other media outright stated this went to the highest reaches of the CPC, or that they supressed that the Libs made robocalls too or that they didn't do analysis of possible impact on election results?

Can you give me a link where the CBC said 31,000 were robbed of their vote and that Harper orchestrated it. (Maybe a lot to ask, but I'm skeptical here.)


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1261
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:28 am
 


Obviously, you guys are not that familiar with the bias amongst the media in Quebec, especially SRC (the French CBC) and TVA.

A good comparison for journalism in Quebec would be that of the tabloid TV. Here journalists are mostly pro-left, pro-union, pro-environment, pro-artists, pro-nationalist, pro-sovereignty.

Often when there is a protest, no matter if there are 10 or 1,000 people, they send a journalist to report and support their cause, for we all know that the majority of the time, protesters are leftists anyways. In this province, there are several polls published every other day. Many of which are very easy to manipulate, as Leger himself is a closet nationalist/separatist.

Another example is how else can you explain the separatist movement in the province ! The media constantly keeps bringing it up and with very favourable acclamation. Also they continuously bash the Federal Govt, often distorting facts and only presenting one side of the issue.

So yes, there is very much bias in the media, more so in some provinces, even if some ’’sheeple’’ pretend not to notice it. Also the media can purposely create a ''wave'' as they like to call it and incite people to vote for a particular political party without even presenting the political platform, a good example of that is the NDP in Quebec. The media can also very easily change the outcome of any election as they can make or break a politician. That often can be done by either them choosing to over publicize a particular story or have it purposely ignored altogether. They have that kind of power. But now thanks to the internet, more people can now be informed properly without the need of biased TV journalists.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4247
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 am
 


andyt wrote:
And are you saying the CBC or other media outright stated this went to the highest reaches of the CPC, or that they supressed that the Libs made robocalls too or that they didn't do analysis of possible impact on election results?

Can you give me a link where the CBC said 31,000 were robbed of their vote and that Harper orchestrated it. (Maybe a lot to ask, but I'm skeptical here.)


Andy, I'll try to dig you up something tonight. But keep in mins that sometimes you don't have to come straight out and say something for it to be accusatory. Even by saying that there were over 31000 complaints the CBC is insinuating that this was much more wide spread and well organized than what the facts support. That is false and misleading.

I’ll try and find a few vids of Mansbridge on the National on this. That is were I’m getting my largest impression of bias. It was during one of the panel talks. Funny thing was that I believe both Andrew Coyne and Chantal Hebert pointed out during that panel talk that the media was over reacting and over reporting on this issue.

Just curious, since you claim that you don’t even watch the CBC how do you find yourself in a position defending them?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:44 am
 


Last point of yours is a fair one. But I used to watch them, still listen to a bit of radio, and I think the right wing attack on the CBC is over the top.

Every medium I consumed reported on the 31,000 complaints. They'd be remiss not to.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1244
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am
 


I think, dino, that you read into this what you want to see. I have not seen a single report on CBC that does not emphasise that there is no evidence anywhere yet. And that the 31,000 is just complaints received without any attribution.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4247
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 am
 


eureka wrote:
I think, dino, that you read into this what you want to see. I have not seen a single report on CBC that does not emphasise that there is no evidence anywhere yet. And that the 31,000 is just complaints received without any attribution.


Absolutely Eureka. But the discussion on the CBC being bias isn't a new one nor is it unique to me and a handful of other forum members.

As I stated before, you don't have to come straight out and say something, you can make an insinuations just by the tone of your voice, in what light you report it, by leaving out facts, and not presenting opposing view points. Mansbridge eluded a number of times to how this seemed to be more than just an isolated case. What does that insinuate?


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.