Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:44 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I'm not seeing any media agenda, other than the desire to stir up crap.

Really?

http://www.hilltimes.com/news/politics/ ... 1000/30063

This is the CBC's 31,000 complaints?

The CBC is balanced by the National Post and their newspapers, in my opinion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 am

Really Zip? The National Post is owned by the Liberal stalwarts, the Aspers. In case you haven't read it for a while, its hardly a CPC supporter these days.

I'm not just referring to the political bias, there's the whole lying/missing facts/adding in a narrative to the media that seems to now be the norm.

My routine dealings with our media have been very revealing. Things are not what they seem.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:29 am

That is something I'm also finding way too much of lately in the Canadian media.
It seems that more and more journalists are under the impression we're the least bit interested in their editorializing.
Just gimmie the news and fuck off with your impressions of it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:49 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Really Zip? The National Post is owned by the Liberal stalwarts, the Aspers.

How often are you going to repeat this bullshit - the Aspers haven't owned the Post or any other newspaper for years.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:50 am

raydan raydan:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
raydan raydan:
Nobody's interested in honest politicians and they don't sell newspapers or air time.

From the media angle, I think there is more to it than that.

Hidden agenda. The media have become the unelected and unofficial opposition party.

I can't really say I see it, but them again, maybe I'm not looking for it.
Could it be that the media just likes to attack the governing party, independent of who's running the show?

You're just not looking hard enough. It's a vast left-wing cornspiracy we got going here.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:59 am

A good test of political sophistication is to look at attitudes to the media. The absurd accusations of the political leanings of the CBC: that the media is biased to the left. That is somehow anti-Tory.

These are the stuff of prejudice or naivete.

The function of the media is to hold government to account. It is not there just to deliver news. The origins of the concept of Freedom of Speech lie in the gradual recognition of the Right to a Free Press. That is what Freedom of Speech originally was to be. Many journalists suffered to establish that: a freedom that has, legally, morphed into your Right to say what you will on these forums.

The Canadian Media, the newspaper element is, by and large, Right Wing in its sympathies. It did not go as far as the States when the Right deliberately set out to gain financial control of the media in the 1970s, but it went far enough. Far enough that there is not a single Left Wing outlet of any consequence left in Canada.

The Aspers are Liberals in name only. They are libertarians in principle and supporters of whatever government favours their interest. There is little criticism of this government to be heard from any Asper outlet.

At no time in history before now could any government have got away with the attacks on democracy that this government has perpetrated. The Prorogations would have brought down any government within weeks had there not been a compliant media. The G20 affair; the in-and-out scandal. The ongoing assault on unions - has anyone in any element of the media noted that one German said, "First they came for the Unions?"

And a hundred other acts that are not even mentioned in the media.

The media was called the Fourth Estate to be an "unofficial" opposition. The justification for its existence is the holding of government to account.

In Canada as well as in the USA it is in grave dereliction of that duty.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 am

andyt andyt:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

How often are you going to repeat this bullshit - the Aspers haven't owned the Post or any other newspaper for years.

It appears so... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le1424971/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:56 am

andyt andyt:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

2010 is when the son of Izzy left his post at the Post. It's not that long ago.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:57 am

eureka eureka:
The function of the media is to hold government to account. It is not there just to deliver news.

I don't agree at all.

The media is there to deliver the news and allow the viewer to decide on how to make the government accountable. I don't watch news to hear the opinion of the program director or some other staffer at the station.

We don't need the media telling us HOW to think about a certain issue, let us make up our minds.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 am

The NP was actually more right under the Aspers than it is now. Seems to have moderated quite a bit. If somebody thought the NP was not right enough under the Aspers, then they're sitting pretty far right on the spectrum.

Same is true of the Vancouver Sun - it was never as right as the NP, but it seems to have also moderated quite a bit.

Newspapers will go after the govt of the day - and I'm glad they do.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:51 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Really Zip? The National Post is owned by the Liberal stalwarts, the Aspers. In case you haven't read it for a while, its hardly a CPC supporter these days.

I'm not just referring to the political bias, there's the whole lying/missing facts/adding in a narrative to the media that seems to now be the norm.

My routine dealings with our media have been very revealing. Things are not what they seem.

News reporting has become overly editorialized in my opinion. It use to be that the news media reported but made time for editorial type opinion pieces be it either via a column in the paper or dedicated time on air to commentators but now the two seem to be one in the same.

I'll admit that there all ways has been bias to some degree in reporting. I've watched old news programs and I would say there has all ways been an element of that but no where to the degree we see today. I think there has been a steady erosion of what is considered news and what is considered opinion to the point where there is no differentiation between the two.

Not to get on the CBC thing again but one thing I will say is that from my perspective its one thing to be a private media outlet and to have a bias but for a publicly funded national media organization to have one to the degree that the CBC does? I think that’s completely unacceptable. I al ready know I'll have the regular "the CBC isn't bias!" group jumping on this post by you would have to be blind not to see it. Christ, the CBC had pretty much convicted the conservatives of wrong doing the first day this story ran without one piece of credible evidence.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:35 pm

andyt andyt:

It's an old chestnut but the truth of it still applies, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Who holds the media accountable? The one thing about this Robocalls "scandal" that bothered me is how the CBC was eager to declare that 31,000 people complained to Elections Canada. Then lo and behold these "complaints" end up being mostly form letters forwarded by an advocacy group headed by the likes of Judy Rebnick and other cohorts. Then they try to make the rather--paltry protests that broke out in Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax et. al look like a grassroots campaign for democracy. Their jumps in logic give me reason to believe that the CBC is engaging in yellow journalism in a way that would make William Randolph Hearst proud.

However, since I have no real evidence to confirm this sentiment, I will refrain from making a conclusion. I am content to sit back and let Elections Canada to their job. If the Conservatives prove uncooperative-- they could just get a court order, right?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:12 pm

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
andyt andyt:

It's an old chestnut but the truth of it still applies, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Who holds the media accountable? The one thing about this Robocalls "scandal" that bothered me is how the CBC was eager to declare that 31,000 people complained to Elections Canada. Then lo and behold these "complaints" end up being mostly form letters forwarded by an advocacy group headed by the likes of Judy Rebnick and other cohorts. Then they try to make the rather--paltry protests that broke out in Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax et. al look like a grassroots campaign for democracy. Their jumps in logic give me reason to believe that the CBC is engaging in yellow journalism in a way that would make William Randolph Hearst proud.

However, since I have no real evidence to confirm this sentiment, I will refrain from making a conclusion. I am content to sit back and let Elections Canada to their job. If the Conservatives prove uncooperative-- they could just get a court order, right?

This whole thing will backfire on Rae. I think your observations on the media are very astute.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:43 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

This whole thing will backfire on Rae. I think your observations on the media are very astute.

Bob Rae has become very skilled at deflecting backfires. When it does, the CBC will do their damnedest to support him.
Whilst the CBC is not as bad as some say, they definitely err on the yellow side.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:47 pm

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
andyt andyt:

You deserve a +5 for that statement.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next