CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:59 am

Robert Silver, December 6, 2008 at 6:23 PM EST

To any and all Liberal MPs - leadership candidate or otherwise - I have the following questions for you:

1. A week ago Thursday, the fiscal update was presented. To a man (and woman), every single one of you said "we must oppose it." What form did you want that opposition to take? An election? A coalition? Loud rhetoric, but a bunch of you sick on voting day? I presume a coalition is the answer - but maybe not. I didn't hear any Liberal MPs calling for a new election or another abstention when push came to shove - but things were moving so quickly, I may have missed it.

2. The following Monday (i.e. five days ago, but these are dog days so it feels like six months), the coalition "deal" was presented to caucus. There was, by public accounts of the meeting, a unanimous standing ovation given to those presenting the deal to caucus. If any of you were opposed to it, did you speak out at caucus? Did you speak out in public? Again - I may have missed ANY dissent, but it sure seemed like caucus was united behind the deal five days ago.

3. At that same meeting, the issue of whether Stephane Dion should remain as leader of the coalition until May was, by public accounts of the meeting, raised. Again, based on what has been told to the media, not a single caucus member spoke out against Dion remaining as leader. All three current candidates for leader spoke out publicly supporting Dion as leader until May. If any caucus members were opposed to Dion heading up the coalition, why didn't you speak at caucus? Why didn't you speak out in public? I'm pretty sure I didn't miss that.

4. On Thursday, hours before the Prime Minister was to go and visit the GG, a petition was circulated for all Liberal MPs to sign expressing their support for the defeat of the government AND the coalition. Again - this was Thursday morning, after the video disaster. Every single one of the MPs in caucus (save one) signed the petition. Did you mean it when you signed? If you didn't mean it - if you signed the petition only because it was the path of least resistance - how can you remain as a Member of Parliament? Seriously, if you are willing to sign a petition to the Governor-General asking her to change governments, and it was only because you were "chicken" to say no or didn't want to rock the boat, then you should resign as a Member of Parliament because you have proven yourself unworthy of serving as a representative of your community and as a law-maker. Otherwise, I think it is fair to assume that your signature was meaningful and your support for the coalition was sincere; by your signature, you wanted the GG to act upon the petition.

So either:

(a) The Liberal caucus was UNANIMOUS in supporting both the coalition and Dion as leader until May; or

(b) There are a bunch of MPs in the Liberal caucus who are both cowardly and whose word means little (or whose opinions change with the wind).

Really, this is a binary situation - make your choice

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... verPowers/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:30 am

Straight answer from a Lib? Isn't going to happen.
STill, just asking the question is point enough.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:16 am

Where the hell is Derby out their Frontin' for his man Dion? or is it Iggy today. Next week it'll probably Rae and the week after that Heather Mallick

Last edited by HyperionTheEvil on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:23 am

Oh hell it all comes down to the heat of the moment and all this will be forgotten in a very short time. It should be remembered the Tories also tried to make deals with the Bloc to oust then PM Martin. The coalition is not a bad idea actually as long as they keep it Liberal NDP. The Bloc is not part of it they only will provide support. Besides the Bloc is not a seperatist party when the wrapping paper is stripped away, they are a regional party much like the old Quebec Socail Credit Party of some decades ago. The Liberals will not go through with the deal now anyway with a new leader leading them back into the centre.
Should Harper ride his high horse again, there could still be a forced coalition.
The govenor general, gave Harper time, in this round, but if he can't get the parties back cooperating, I think she would give the opposition its, constitutional desire in the form of a legal coalition.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 am

damngrumpy damngrumpy:
Oh hell it all comes down to the heat of the moment and all this will be forgotten in a very short time. It should be remembered the Tories also tried to make deals with the Bloc to oust then PM Martin. The coalition is not a bad idea actually as long as they keep it Liberal NDP. The Bloc is not part of it they only will provide support. Besides the Bloc is not a seperatist party when the wrapping paper is stripped away, they are a regional party much like the old Quebec Socail Credit Party of some decades ago. The Liberals will not go through with the deal now anyway with a new leader leading them back into the centre.
Should Harper ride his high horse again, there could still be a forced coalition.
The govenor general, gave Harper time, in this round, but if he can't get the parties back cooperating, I think she would give the opposition its, constitutional desire in the form of a legal coalition.

Yes ut you clown signed an agreement with the Blow and the CPC used the Bloq on a case by case basis. You morons tried to sell out the country

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:37 pm

Difficult for Conservatives to do. Spluttering is prose....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 pm

Tegan Tegan:
Quick spluttering Hyperion and try to be coherent.

If you are going to chastise someone for poor grammar, please use the correct grammar in the chastisement. :wink:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Wow, first Blatchford writes a diatribe in which she justifies the cutting off of the subsidy by mentioning the possibility of May being appointed as a sentator, and now Silver has written a 500 word false dichotomy. The G&M's standards are slipping....

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:29 pm

This is all obtuse. There will be no coalition, there will be an election during '09 and we will have an actual PM (as opposed to robo joke) named Ignatieff.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:37 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Tegan Tegan:

If you are going to chastise someone for poor grammar, please use the correct grammar in the chastisement. :wink:

:lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:24 am

Tegan Tegan:

I think you meant 'quit'

Irony is sweet