CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 10666
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 am
 


http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada- ... -1.3221858

Quote:
"We have to know that a large percentage of small businesses are actually just ways for wealthier Canadians to save on their taxes, and we want to reward the people who are actually creating jobs, and contributing in concrete ways," he said.


[popcorn]


Offline
Active Member
Active Member
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 434
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:44 am
 


It isn't exactly smearing when he knows that some small businesses don't report all their earnings and such.

It's only smearing if you side with the spin being spun at any word the man makes.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 10666
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:51 am
 


CountLothian wrote:
It isn't exactly smearing when he knows that some small businesses don't report all their earnings and such.

It's only smearing if you side with the spin being spun at any word the man makes.


He didn't say "some" he said "large percentage".

Coming from a family of people who've started their own business and being a former business owner myself, I was far from "wealthy" and starting my own business wasn't to save on taxes.


Offline
Active Member
Active Member
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 434
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:12 am
 


There are restaurants in Toronto where there is no one going into them for years.
some say they are fronts for heroin importers.

He is talking about business people that are dishonest, and I know there are tons of those who are wealthy.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14304
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:15 am
 


Regardless of what truth may be behind that statement, the man is clumsy and careless in his speech.

"Small Business Owners" (proper noun) are second only to "Veterans" as politically untouchable people that can only be spoken of publicly in venerating, politically correct praise.

Trudeau should borrow a page from right-wingers like Trump and Ford and quickly follow up his controversial comment with a rant about how "political correctness" is the real problem we're facing. That should bring the right-wing voters on side.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 10666
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:20 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
Trudeau should borrow a page from right-wingers like Trump and Ford and quickly follow up his controversial comment with a rant about how "political correctness" is the real problem we're facing. That should bring the right-wing voters on side.


There's a difference between making a un-politically correct statement and a dumb comment.

That was a dumb comment.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14304
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:35 am
 


OnTheIce wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:
Trudeau should borrow a page from right-wingers like Trump and Ford and quickly follow up his controversial comment with a rant about how "political correctness" is the real problem we're facing. That should bring the right-wing voters on side.


There's a difference between making a un-politically correct statement and a dumb comment.

That was a dumb comment.


It was certainly the former, and I wouldn't disagree that it may be both.

Apparently the underlying claim is that more than half of "Small Business Owners" are actually 'high net worth individuals who incorporate…to avoid paying as high taxes as they otherwise would.' I even read a legal summary not too long ago, where a company's CEO, with he permission of its Board of Directors, incorporated himself and his salary and compensation was paid in the form of invoices to the CEO's "company".

But it's clumsy to go about it in the way that Trudeau did. He could have targeted his comments directly at those people without appearing to paint all SBO's with the same brush


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33691
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:38 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
But it's clumsy to go about it in the way that Trudeau did. He could have targeted his comments directly at those people without appearing to paint all SBO's with the same brush


Clumsy is JT's speciality.

Let him speak more. :D


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4814
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:19 pm
 


There is nothing wrong with what he said, while lowering the small business tax rate is meant to encourage growth, it actually discourages it. It is true that many small business initially set up to enable individuals to avoid personal income tax.

Is it most ? I think so, but it is too subjective to prove.

Here is a study on the subject:

Quote:
This study adopts a new approach in assessing the impact of taxes on small business growth
and suggests the need to consider new incentives that would be more effective in encouraging
small business growth and would also improve the neutrality of the existing tax system.
In recent years, federal and provincial governments have provided various corporate tax
incentives to small businesses with the aim of helping them grow. While it is commonly
believed that small businesses are responsible for most job creation, unfortunately the only
study available has shown that while many small businesses are created, few grow. Yet many
governments believe that the incentives are important even though little evidence supports the
effectiveness of small business corporate concessions. Some provinces have actually eliminated
corporate taxes on small businesses or reduced such taxes to a symbolic level (e.g., one to two
percent) without there being any empirical support in favour of the effectiveness of such
actions.
In contradiction to the widely held view that small business tax concessions encourage growth,
such small business tax relief could actually be antithetical to growth by creating a “taxation
wall.” First, it could result in the breakup of companies into smaller, less efficient-sized units in
order to take advantage of tax benefits even if there are economic gains to growing in size.
Second, it could encourage individuals to create small corporations in order to reduce their
personal tax liabilities rather than grow companies. And third, it could lead to a “threshold
effect” that holds back small business from growing beyond the official definition of
“smallness,” regardless of the criteria for measuring size (e.g., the size of revenue or assets, or
the number of employees).


http://policyschool.ucalgary.ca/sites/d ... ax-c_0.pdf


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42160
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:40 pm
 


OnTheIce wrote:
CountLothian wrote:
It isn't exactly smearing when he knows that some small businesses don't report all their earnings and such.

It's only smearing if you side with the spin being spun at any word the man makes.


He didn't say "some" he said "large percentage".

Coming from a family of people who've started their own business and being a former business owner myself, I was far from "wealthy" and starting my own business wasn't to save on taxes.



Putting in 70 -80 hours a week in your business should be reward enough....you don't want financial recompense too do you?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 10666
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:19 pm
 


ShepherdsDog wrote:
OnTheIce wrote:
CountLothian wrote:
It isn't exactly smearing when he knows that some small businesses don't report all their earnings and such.

It's only smearing if you side with the spin being spun at any word the man makes.


He didn't say "some" he said "large percentage".

Coming from a family of people who've started their own business and being a former business owner myself, I was far from "wealthy" and starting my own business wasn't to save on taxes.



Putting in 70 -80 hours a week in your business should be reward enough....you don't want financial recompense too do you?


:lol:


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests



cron
 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.