CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:49 pm

Well,after watching Mansbridge tonight hit Jack with some hard questions I see the CBC must really be worried about the NDP taking power away from the Liberals.

The best part was;
Mansbridge-so you fly over the oilsands and say no more development yet say nothing about the job's that will be lost yet have a bailout plan for ontario's manufacturing sector,dont you have a plan for those jobs that will be lost if you shut down development at the oilsands?

Layton-Well,we have to hit these big polluters. :lol:

Anyone watch the program? Think Jack just got owned by Mansbridge?

Think the CBC is worried about the libs not being responsible for their future anymore?

Jack may have well said he's drooling over those energy dollars like Dion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:32 am

Guess no one watch's CBC. :o

I would love to find a video montage of that interview last night,Layton proved he hasnt a clue about the west or the jobs he would kill here.

Funny how he waited untill he was in his jet above Alberta to make all his shut em down comments.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:01 am

Didn't see it.

I love it. The NDP could actually become the official opposition.

Fuck, that would stun the country and put the Liberals to so much shame...

Imagine it.

The Far Left vs. The Far Right. The middle ground is toast.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:03 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Didn't see it.

Imagine it.

A lot of the peolple here he plans on putting out of work are from the east and lot's were pro union and pro NDP.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:05 am

ziggy ziggy:

I would love to find a video montage of that interview last night,Layton proved he hasnt a clue about the west or the jobs he would kill here.

Funny how he waited untill he was in his jet above Alberta to make all his shut em down comments.

We'd never get the Alberta vote anyway. Alberta is pure blue. It wouldn't matter if Stephan Harper pissed on some Westener's heads, Alberta would still vote for him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:07 am

ziggy ziggy:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Didn't see it.

Imagine it.

A lot of the peolple here he plans on putting out of work are from the east and lot's were pro union and pro NDP.

Well then I suppose we lost some votes.

Not sure how they can be Pro-NDP when they work in the oil. If they support the NDP, they should know that the NDP wants to make this rough for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:10 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
ziggy ziggy:

We'd never get the Alberta vote anyway. Alberta is pure blue. It wouldn't matter if Stephan Harper pissed on some Westener's heads, Alberta would still vote for him.

Well,would you vote for someone who plans on shutting down tarsands development and your job?

We may not matter in his eyes,even though a good percentage of our workers are easterners,but the thought isnt lost down east.Lots of the workers here are making enough to buy homes back home and pad their retirement and with the oilsands putting so much into the Canadian economy,it just seems like ol Jack just wants to punish Alberta.

Maybe he doesnt realize how many easterners there is here.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:58 am

$1:

Not sure how they can be Pro-NDP when they work in the oil. If they support the NDP, they should know that the NDP wants to make this rough for them.

There are other issues coming from the pro-union side.

The first is that the expansion of the oil sands simply isn't sustainable over the long term, so the jobs will disappear anyway. Since the anti-labour types have been using the boom to bring in foreign workers on temporary visas, setting a precedent that will undermine Canadian labour rights when the boom ends, most pro-labour groups support at least a slowing of development in the tar sands.

Secondly, Layton isn't calling for the tar sands to be shut down, he's calling for a moratorium on further development until development can be done without such devastation to the environment. The steps required in that will result in more jobs over a longer period and help to get Alberta out of the boom/bust cycle.

Finally, cleaner sources of oil can and are being developed. Saskatchewan and Newfoundland have long been the major suppliers of labour to Alberta and as those provinces develop their resources, workers are returning to those places.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:05 am

ziggy ziggy:
Well,after watching Mansbridge tonight hit Jack with some hard questions I see the CBC must really be worried about the NDP taking power away from the Liberals.

The best part was;
Mansbridge-so you fly over the oilsands and say no more development yet say nothing about the job's that will be lost yet have a bailout plan for ontario's manufacturing sector,dont you have a plan for those jobs that will be lost if you shut down development at the oilsands?

Layton-Well,we have to hit these big polluters. :lol:

Anyone watch the program? Think Jack just got owned by Mansbridge?

Think the CBC is worried about the libs not being responsible for their future anymore?

Jack may have well said he's drooling over those energy dollars like Dion.
I watched it, I found it hilarious. I especially like the part where he blamed Harper for John Deere shutting down a factory.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:22 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
ziggy ziggy:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Didn't see it.

Imagine it.

I believe there are a lot of union workers in the oil industry.
Your political beliefs don't always dictate your job. Left, right or centre, everyone uses oil products.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:25 am

ziggy ziggy:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
ziggy ziggy:

Well,would you vote for someone who plans on shutting down tarsands development and your job?

We may not matter in his eyes,even though a good percentage of our workers are easterners,but the thought isnt lost down east.Lots of the workers here are making enough to buy homes back home and pad their retirement and with the oilsands putting so much into the Canadian economy,it just seems like ol Jack just wants to punish Alberta.

Maybe he doesnt realize how many easterners there is here.

You got that right Zig. There are probably more easterners in the west than there are in the east. 8O

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:27 am

Jack does not grasp some basic ecomonic fundamentals.

As the world moves towards alternative fuels, oil will essentially become obsolete in 20 to 30 years. If we don't sell it now, it will be worthless in the future. We need to make our money and invest that money into alternative fuels, social programs and tax cuts.

Look at Dubai. They saw the writing on the wall and now are in a great economical position.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:28 am

Reverend Blair Reverend Blair:
$1:

There are other issues coming from the pro-union side.

The first is that the expansion of the oil sands simply isn't sustainable over the long term, so the jobs will disappear anyway. Since the anti-labour types have been using the boom to bring in foreign workers on temporary visas, setting a precedent that will undermine Canadian labour rights when the boom ends, most pro-labour groups support at least a slowing of development in the tar sands.

Secondly, Layton isn't calling for the tar sands to be shut down, he's calling for a moratorium on further development until development can be done without such devastation to the environment. The steps required in that will result in more jobs over a longer period and help to get Alberta out of the boom/bust cycle.

Finally, cleaner sources of oil can and are being developed. Saskatchewan and Newfoundland have long been the major suppliers of labour to Alberta and as those provinces develop their resources, workers are returning to those places.

Well, some workers are returning homewards. And of course the baby boomers will retire soon and a lot will be heading home.
Even with the mini boom Newfoundland is experiencing, I don't think it would ever be able to sustain the population if all the expatriates went home.
Newfies will always be looking for work whether it is in Alberta or Zambia, we will go. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:35 am

Apollo Apollo:

As the world moves towards alternative fuels, oil will essentially become obsolete in 20 to 30 years. If we don't sell it now, it will be worthless in the future. We need to make our money and invest that money into alternative fuels, social programs and tax cuts.

Look at Dubai. They saw the writing on the wall and now are in a great economical position.

Apparently you don't grasp economics or the CPC platform either. The best way to invest in Canada is to pay down the debt. The less debt we have the more tax money we have bein spent towards actual programs. In addition, investing in social programs is entirely something cons are loathe to do. Thats far more the NDP forte and investing in alternate fuels is nowhere on this list of CPC agendas either. They are all about keepibng big oil happy because thats where the money and jobs are currently. They aren't blowing billions investing in engines that run on maple syrup, in fact Canada is not high on the list of countries that spend alot investing in future tech mores the pity.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:45 am

DerbyX DerbyX:
Apollo Apollo:

Apparently you don't grasp economics or the CPC platform either. The best way to invest in Canada is to pay down the debt. The less debt we have the more tax money we have bein spent towards actual programs. In addition, investing in social programs is entirely something cons are loathe to do. Thats far more the NDP forte and investing in alternate fuels is nowhere on this list of CPC agendas either. They are all about keepibng big oil happy because thats where the money and jobs are currently. They aren't blowing billions investing in engines that run on maple syrup, in fact Canada is not high on the list of countries that spend alot investing in future tech mores the pity.

How do you propose we pay down the debt when you are willing to detroy the ONLY sector of our economy that is doing well at the moment. Make the money in oil and then pay down the debt. Simple eh?

Your comment about social programs is ludicrous. The NDP does not have a monopoly in investing for social programs. The NDP wants to spend EVERYTHING and more on social programs whereas the Conservatives want to support Canadians with social programs but at the same time giving us incentives to be responsible.

There is an immediate future in oil and as such should be supported. The NDP on the other hand is supporting a dying industry in car manufacturing. They want to pour billions into a sector that will eventually disappear. How smart is that?

I can see the NDPers of the 19th century fighting to keep farmers going and resisting farm equipment because it would destroy jobs. 19th century Jack Layton. "Farming makes up 40% of our economy. We need to subsidize them and prevent big farmers from using farming equipment because they are destoying the little farmer"

Sound familiar?