bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 am

Filibuster Cartoons
Title: Garneau the Gimmick (click to view)
Date: December 4, 2012
In an event widely described as the most serious challenge to Justin Trudeau's otherwise guaranteed coronation as the next boss of the Liberal Party of Canada, former Canadian astronaut Marc Garneau jumped into the Liberal leadership race last week. He will be the first horse-sized duck in a race otherwise dominated by fowl-sized ponies.

An accomplished engineer and navy caption, in 1984, Garneau became the first Canadian in outer space after hitching a ride on the doomed American shuttle Challenger one on of her final flights. Predictably, this made him an overnight natural treasure among Canadians of a certain generation, and after a post-astronaut stint running Canada's federal space bureaucracy, Marc repeatedly tried to parlay his fame into a John Glenn-style political career — but achieved only marginal success.

In 2006 Garneau attempted to a win a parliamentary seat in the Montreal riding of Vaudreuil-Soulanges, but was clobbered quite handily by the Bloc Quebecois incumbent by a margin of 43 to 28%. Two years later, he was installed by Liberal boss Stephane Dion as the party's nominee in a much safer Quebec riding (supposedly on Marc's own insistence), which he easily won. Three years after that, however, he was very nearly a casualty of the so-called "Orange Crush" NDP sweep that eroded much of his party's support in the province. Following the subsequent resignation of Michael Ignatieff, Garneau flouted his own name as a possible successor, but his pleas fell on deaf ears as the party quietly installed Bob Rae instead.

Politically speaking, Garneau is thus not terribly different from JT. Both are one-and-half term Quebec MPs representing Parliament's third-place party. Neither has held a cabinet seat or any other federal, provincial, or municipal office of note. And now both are gunning for their party's top job on what amounts to a campaign of argumentum ad novitatem, or an appeal to gimmick rather than substance (visit marcgarneau.ca and see how long it takes to spot a space pun).

At the same time, it would be unfair to minimize the obvious differences between the two men. For all his political naivete, Garneau is clearly one of the great heroes of modern Canadian history (as some wags have observed, it's rare to see a guy run for prime minister with schools already named after him), and "astronaut" is undeniably a job made of far more challenging stuff than "substitute drama teacher" — to quote the popular dismissal of Justin's pre-parliamentary career.

Yet it reveals much about the current woes of the Liberals that the mere fact that Garneau possesses some experience in something is enough to win him unanimous kudos for being the "substantial" candidate, regardless of how politically irrelevant said experience is in practice. We can all agree that Garneau's PhD in electrical engineering from the Imperial College of London is impressive, for instance, but barring a need to rewire Parliament's lighting fixtures, it's hard to see what relevance it will have for a future prime minister. Only in the land of the desperate is the spaceman a logical king.

Now, one of the most interesting phenomena in contemporary North American politics is the way current partisan trends in Canada have come to resemble an eerie mirror image of those in the States.

Both nations, after all, are governed by essentially pragmatic, moderate administrations that are nevertheless fanatically opposed by opposition parties who believe themselves to be facing down the most ideologically extreme government in their country's history. And despite incessant efforts to bombard the public with hysterical propaganda, the incumbent still seems weirdly entrenched.

With an election looming, the opposition scrambles to select a candidate to run against their horrible ruler, and though their cast of applicants is wide and ample, the vast majority are untalented hacks devoid of much achievement or substance. Sensing disarray, the sensationalist media happily focuses on the inherent goofiness of the race and its lacklustre contenders, and the opposition brand dwindles into a perennial butt of punchlines and pity.

In this sense, the Canadian left is presently in a roughly similar place to the American right circa summer, 2011, when a large, but sub-par field of wannabe GOP nominees provoked endless pining for some mythical Republican messiah, be it Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, or even — amazingly, in retrospect — Rick Perry, to save the party from itself. But the Republican saviour never came, and neither will the Liberals'.

Instead, they have a Mitt Romney of their very own in Justin Trudeau (a well-bred, out-of-touch flip-flopper), a Perry in the form of Garneau (famous but untested), and a bunch of Bachmann, Cains, and Huntsmans picking up the rear in the form of the six also-rans (only ours have less electoral experience).

Good people didn't run for president in 2012 in part because they realized the quest to unseat Barack Obama would be impossible so long as the Republican Party's White House strategy was based entirely around mindless contrarianism personified by, in Paul Krugman's words, "attacking Mr. Obama for doing things that the president hasn't done and believing things he doesn't believe" but rarely offering concrete alternatives of their own. And so too does it appear that good Canadians aren't exactly rushing to head the Liberals  — whose leading politicians muse about secession and non-existent conspiracies to criminalize gay marriage and abortion — for what we must assume are largely the same reasons.

Canadians may not love Prime Minister Harper with a blind uncritical passion any more than Americans love President Obama with a similarly implausible intensity. But the citizens of both countries do seem to trust their leaders' steady hands and pragmatic visions in a way that ultimately matters a great deal more — and, just as importantly, squirm nervously at the available alternatives.

Captain Garneau may be a fresh political face with a compelling life story, but until he proves himself capable of engaging with the deeper question of just why voters have come to distrust and dislike his party as much as they do, he's ultimately just one more space case in a party already filled with them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:37 am

He will collect the anti Trudeaus, but that's about it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 am

At this point I'm starting to look into Martha Hall Findlay.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 am

I can see the Conservative attack ads: "He didn't come back to Earth for you!"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 am

"An accomplished engineer and navy caption" ??

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:06 am

DrCaleb wrote:

I hear he accepted a ride from Americans once! Can we trust someone who could possibly owe the Americans something?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 am

DanSC wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

I hear he accepted a ride from Americans once! Can we trust someone who could possibly owe the Americans something?

i heard he already paid for the ride. Gas, grass, or ass. Right?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 am

I actually prefer Garneau to JT - at least Garneau has some real world accomplishments.

Right now, JT is all over the map and doesn't look like the best the Liberals have to offer - the best, IMHO, have so far declined to run for the leadership.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 am

Unsound wrote:
DanSC wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

i heard he already paid for the ride. Gas, grass, or ass. Right?

He would have had to go through an American background check, so I'm guessing ass.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 am

DrCaleb wrote:

Don't forget;

Quote:
one on of her final flights

:lol:

JJ must have posted this late at night...whether or not you agree with him, his posts are usually error-free.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:33 am

DrCaleb wrote:

DanSC wrote:

DanSC wrote:
He would have had to go through an American background check, so I'm guessing ass.

Sad but true!

ROTFL

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 am

Does it count as ass when really they're just doing a thorough search for the grass?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:56 am

DrCaleb wrote:
And while we're nitpicking about spelling: "Garneau flouted his own name" sound pretty strange too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Quantum_Wizard wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
And while we're nitpicking about spelling: "Garneau flouted his own name" sound pretty strange too.

Only because of the inherent negativity with 'flout'. "Touted" would have also been correct, but wouldn't have the negative connotation JJ was looking for.

I hate being a grammar nazi. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm

You're not a good grammar nazi, at that. To flout means to disregard, as flout a law. He may have flaunted his own name.