bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:32 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... ureau.html

I'm amazed that a group of hormonal women haven't pooled their money for a hitman. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:15 am

Price fixing is much more widespread than most people can conceive. It's capitalism's dirty little secret.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:31 am

Monopolies are easier to fight.

I'd like to know how they found out about it.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:10 am

Just about everything in this country is priced higher than it should be.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:18 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Price fixing is much more widespread than most people can conceive. It's capitalism's dirty little secret.

Uh-huh. And remind me of where I can find a privately owned liquor store in BC?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Lemmy Lemmy:

Not sure what your point is. :? We're not talking about public monopolies, we're talking about collusion and price fixing in the private sector.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:37 am

I guess his point is that public monopolies can price fix all they want... legally.

I know, not the definition of price fixing... humour me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 am

That's true of private monopolies as well. And when firms in competitive markets do it, it's to achieve monopoly power. Which is why anti-trust and regulation are essential components of a competitive marketplace.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 am

What Bart example doesn't take into consideration is that the profit made by the public monopolies stays public... it's just another tax.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 am

Not sure I agree with that. A tax doesn't provide the consumer with anything tangible. Buying something from a government monopoly does.

I think Bart just had a knee-jerk reaction to the notion that anything about capitalism be criticized. It's not, however, anti-something to identify and understand its weaknesses. To maximize the benefits of capitalism, we need to understand instances where it fails and tweak it to work better for us. If the marketplace were totally free, that would mean there would be no laws of any kind. Hell, even Milton Friedman recognized the necessity of some forms of regulation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:53 am

I mean the extra we pay above and beyond the actual market value of the product is a tax... if we accept as fact that prices would be lower in a free market environment.

I have no problem with public monopolies, as long as they're run efficiently.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:11 am

raydan raydan:
I guess his point is that public monopolies can price fix all they want... legally.

Exactly.

My point about the government going after private monopolies is that they're not doing it for altruistic reasons, nope, they just hate the idea that anyone else can do what they do all the time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:15 am

R=UP

And I already know we agree that the government shouldn't be a player in most of the markets that they operate in. Mostly, governments' role should be limited to regulatory oversight and law enforcement.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 am

I don't know why they got into the booze trade when they didn't for cigarettes. Give it back to the private sector, you can still tax it to hell like cigarettes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Lemmy Lemmy:

Anywhere. 3 out of the 4 in my little town. Look for a sign, the gov't ones don't have any.
Enjoy the smaller selection, revel at the lower paid employees and enjoy the higher prices because you're paying for convenience, longer hours of operation and usually higher rent for their location.
The free market has to work within the structure it's given.
EX: It's summer so one store will have hot dogs on sale, another hot dog buns, another has pop on sale, another chips. Is it collusion to know NONE have all those items on sale at the same time? Or at best you'll save a dime by spending a dollar on gas?