bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:50 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I drank the coolaid. Got a nice Bradley Digital a couple months ago. I love it!

3:
IMG00080-20110917-1509.jpg

Tried a few things with it. Baby back ribs, Smoked whole chickens, pulled pork. Bacon! Tried back bacon, but that turned out as smoke pork chops.

2:
IMG00081-20110917-1813.jpg

1:
IMG00079-20110904-1815.jpg

0:
IMG00088-20110923-1853.jpg

Gravlox though is to die for! I got a few fresh Coho, and cold smoked them on a cool morning - OMG! Some cream cheese, bagels and capers! My version of heaven!

Necro-drooling!!! (terrible mental image there)

Spring weather has me thinking about busting the smoker out.

Those ribs look amazing. You just use bbq sauce for a glaze?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Those ribs have me [drool] they look great, unsound your Brisket looked perfect just like the Brisket's I see down here. Well done [B-o]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Unsound Unsound:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I drank the coolaid. Got a nice Bradley Digital a couple months ago. I love it!

Tried a few things with it. Baby back ribs, Smoked whole chickens, pulled pork. Bacon! Tried back bacon, but that turned out as smoke pork chops.

Gravlox though is to die for! I got a few fresh Coho, and cold smoked them on a cool morning - OMG! Some cream cheese, bagels and capers! My version of heaven!

Necro-drooling!!! (terrible mental image there)

Spring weather has me thinking about busting the smoker out.

Those ribs look amazing. You just use bbq sauce for a glaze?

Yes, the book I use for some of my recipes has one for a Carolina style BBQ sauce I use. Fantastic! You marinade the ribs overnight, bake for an hour or so at 350, then smoke at low heat for 3-4 hours, basting with the sauce every hour or so. If you are in a rush, you can get 'Cattle Boyz' sauce at Costco which I find pretty good sauce.

I still use my smoker 2-3 times a month, even in winter. Getting pretty good at bacon and back bacon.

I have a new use for Gravlox too, fresh wraps with strawberries, Brie and lemon confit. [drool]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Do you do any kind of a dry rub for the ribs? I generally just use the same rub I put on my pulled pork, and then mop with some apple juice with the dry rub mixed in. And then use a honey garlic sauce from the store for the last 20 minutes.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 pm

Unsound Unsound:
Do you do any kind of a dry rub for the ribs? I generally just use the same rub I put on my pulled pork, and then mop with some apple juice with the dry rub mixed in. And then use a honey garlic sauce from the store for the last 20 minutes.

I have used the same rub as pulled pork, but I didn't find it made as much a difference to the flavour as putting it in cure overnight. And the bonus is if you make 30l of cure, you can use it for fish, chicken etc as well as ribs - just add different seasonings.

The only problem/bonus to bulk smoking is that I also have to eat it, and ribs every night for a month gets boring. (and Cattle Boyz sauce on pulled pork!! [drool] [drool] )

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:25 pm

I generally put the rub on the night before and wrap them up tight in saran wrap. I find it gets a lot of flavour. The only downside is it's easier to dry them out if there's no marinade.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:28 pm

Ive used cattle boyz for steak before. I find it a little sweet for my tastes. And no tomato based sauces touch my pulled pork. Apple cider vinegar and seasonings all the way for that stuff.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:38 pm

I've got a friend who recently went down south and brought me back a bunch of spices, rubs and sauces. [drool]

http://www.cookscorner.net/specialtyfood/lynchburg.html

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:34 am

Here are really nice and most informative articles is written by you. I am totally surprised after read your post. I am also addict smoker and wants to quit it. And now i have just smoke two cigarettes in whole day and wants to quit it also. Any idea????

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:38 am

Abner Abner:
Here are really nice and most informative articles is written by you. I am totally surprised after read your post. I am also addict smoker and wants to quit it. And now i have just smoke two cigarettes in whole day and wants to quit it also. Any idea????

ROTFL

That's the funniest thing anybody's posted here in a long time.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:39 am

Abner Abner:

WTF? Those weren't cigarettes..........

:lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:48 am

Abner Abner:

I would mix up a hot pepper rub and work it in around your eyes and groin, a nice mild Cajun rub for the rest of your body and hang a large clove of garlic around your neck. By tomorrow you'll be smoke free. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:53 am

Regina Regina:
Abner Abner:

WTF? Those weren't cigarettes..........

:lol:

get him to replace tobacco with wood shavings....apple, mesquite, hickory and maple. He'll quit pretty soon :lol: