Total votes : 14

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Quote:
Hunt for Ottawa’s CFL team name appears to be down to five

OTTAWA — What’s in a name?

Obviously plenty for the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment group.

For more than a month, the people leading the revival of Lansdowne Park have been listening to focus groups of every demographic, trying to pick their minds about what would work best for its Canadian Football League team when it takes the field in 2014.

And the research for a name the group hopes one day might rival the “Rough Riders” tradition is nearing completion. Wednesday night, group after group spent almost two hours downtown debating what will work best and what will hit home with fans.

It would appear the new name of the football team will come from one of the Nationals, Raftsmen, RedBlacks, Rush or Voyageurs. Those names are in alphabetical order only.

“People want to know there’s a story behind a name,” said Andy Davidhazy, creative director at downstream, a research firm enlisted by OSEG. “We want a reference point.

Davidhazy’s firm conducts research into a city or history or sports and then tests its findings in focus groups. Then it reflects the findings in branding.

“Authenticity matters,” he said. “You don’t want to be trying to be something the team was never meant to be.

“It is difficult to have 100-per-cent uniqueness in a name, and I don’t think it’s a requirement.

“But we need to reach a certain kind of target and the name must appeal to the youth market. This is an important process to go through.”

OSEG is looking for a name to connect in many ways. It wants the name to be authentic to Ottawa and the capital area. It wants it to have the sound of a football team. It would be a plus if was also unique. It wants to it satisfy both official languages and either be the same in both French and English or easy to translate.

And it wants it to have appeal when it comes to merchandising.

Each of the five finalists has strengths and weaknesses in each of the five areas. And two of the names put forward do satisfy the all-important “R” requirement for the throwback helmet logo, at the very least.

One of the panels Wednesday included media, both past and present, Gary Page, a longtime indispensable member of the Rough Riders’ front office, former Rough Rider Bruce Walker and former Renegade Mike Sutherland, who has turned to broadcasting in his post-playing career.

Some argued that RedBlacks was not a name, but just two colours, and may not translate well.

The Nationals were equated to a failed World Hockey Association team that was in Ottawa for the 1972-73 season before moving to Toronto.

Sutherland, who works on Montreal Alouettes broadcasts for RDS and spent part of 10 seasons in the CFL, liked the potential of Raftsmen or Voyageurs.

Others, some older in years, argued the Raftsmen and Voyageurs had potential in drawing on the region’s history and linking the club to Ottawa’s football past.

“I come from an area where it’s Lions, Tigers and Pistons,” said Walker, a Windsor native who played for the Riders from 1979 until ’84. “People do identify with their roots.”

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Hunt+Ottawa+team+name+appears+down+five/7862873/story.html#ixzz2JDYxX2x9

IMO, none are great. I guess the Voyageurs makes the most sense.

Last edited by BeaverFever on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Honestly does it matter? In a couple of years or so they will fold and disappear just like the last two times.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:33 pm

2Cdo wrote:
Honestly does it matter? In a couple of years or so they will fold and disappear just like the last two times.

If it doesn't matter to you, perhaps you shouldn't make a comment here. The new Ottawa has stable ownership, a fan base, and will have a new stadium soon. Things will work out for the better this time around.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:19 pm

CDN_PATRIOT wrote:
2Cdo wrote:

If it doesn't matter to you, perhaps you shouldn't make a comment here. The new Ottawa has stable ownership, a fan base, and will have a new stadium soon. Things will work out for the better this time around.

-J.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Oh, you were serious. They said the same thing the last time they tried reviving the old team. It failed miserably.

I would actually like to see them survive as it would breath a little more life into the CFL having another team out east.

BTW I will make a comment on anything I feel like Mr Forum Cop. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Too bad that short-list doesn't include the ONLY nickname an Ottawa CFL team should ever bear. The best thing about the old CFL was having 2 of 7 teams called the Roughriders (well, Roughriders and Rough Riders). That was Canadiana. All five of those nickname finalists are lame. Bring back the Rough Riders and they may stand a chance of surviving, but I'll side with 2Cdo's prediction if they go with one of those five handles. Who the fuck is going to cheer for the RedBlacks? Gimmie a break.

Oh yeah, GO ARGOS! [but]

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 pm

The Voyageurs is the only team name on the list that isn't totally lame. If they can't go with Rough Riders why not just go with the Ottawa Riders.... :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 pm

It's tough to find something that links with Ottawa's history and purpose but still sounds cool. Ottawa Generals maybe but sounds like Oshawa Generals hockey team...and the CFL owner also owns the Ottawa 67's hockey team, which I think is in the same league.

EDIT: There's some suggestion that "RedBlacks" (currently the front-runner in polls) may be changed to the Ottawa Red and Black. Better, but still not good. Now it sounds like a university team instead of a rugby team.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Lemmy wrote:
The best thing about the old CFL was having 2 of 7 teams called the Roughriders (well, Roughriders and Rough Riders). That was Canadiana.

2 of 8 (or 9 or 12 or 13). The league never went down to 7.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 pm

I went with the Voyageurs.

When I first saw the topic I thought for sure that "The Capitals" would amongst the top 5 as well as going back to the Roughriders.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 pm

Without "The Fuggers" as an option I went with Voyageurs. Seems the best choice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 pm

I just couldn't vote for any of those names. WTF are they smoking down there? 8O

Voyageurs, maybe, if they moved to Hull,
RedBlacks, why not RedGreens same uninspired difference,
Nationals, sounds like an amateur 1920's hockey team and not the good one,
Raftsmen, WTF, sounds like an all male dance troop in a drag review,
Rush, sorry there is only one RUSH and they aren't in Ottawa.

I may be a traditionalist and a rabid CFL fan but these names are straight out bad and if they go with anyone of them it's gonna embarass the league even more than having two RoughRider/Rough Rider teams did for nearly a century.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:07 am

Agree. The names are really uninspired in the extreme.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:04 am

The "Temporaries" might be a better fit, but I am glad to see another CFL team. (Even if the Maritimes would have been a better choice of location)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 am

Not one of those names is interesting - the poll should have a "None of the Above" option!

Hope this incarnation does better than the last couple ones did - it'll be nice to have 9 teams again.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 am

Quote:
the poll should have a "None of the Above" option!

Thought about that, but assumed "None" would be the winning choice and so the poll would not be useful. Rather, what I wanted to know is that since these are apparently the only names under consideration now, which would people rather see be the winner? I.e. what is the least worst option?