CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:33 pm

With a combined total of 9 teams can the CFL even be considered a league. This is in contrast to the NFL's 32 teams. The consitant argument I hear from CFL supporters is that 3 downs makes the game much more challenging. I might agree except for the fact that the larger dimensions of the field basicly eliminate pass coverage, and in my opinion is necessary for the slower, less athletic and less talented players that make up the CFL. Not to mention the fact that 3 downs pretty much ensures there will be no running game which is a timeless part of football. The fact is that the NFL is true gridiron football.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:39 pm

Freakinoldguy wrote:
It's simple......marketing marketing marketing. You take an inferior product, create inflated wages to give the illusion of superiority and brainwash 350 million people into believing it's a better product because of these factors. Fortunately I'm old enough to remember when the CFL was the premier league and we actually drew the best talent from the US college system because we paid them more than the NFL.

Since this relentless barrage of hype, we have been bambozzeled by ad firms from wall street insisting that the NFL is superior without knowing or showing the alternative and alot of the Canadian people have bought into the hype that bigger is better. As far as I and alot more Canadian now, are concerned the CFL is still the better game, with more history and action than the NFL, with their ad firms can ever produce .

Said perfectly.

PDT_Armataz_01_37

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Quote:
I might agree except for the fact that the larger dimensions of the field basicly eliminate pass coverage, and in my opinion is necessary for the slower, less athletic and less talented players that make up the CFL

Less athletic my butt, up here speed and quickness is superior. The larger field ensures that to excell you have to be quick. As for less talented and less athletic players, why don't you go ask Ricky Williams how he did up here against the less talented and less athletic players? Seems to me that on the Dolphins web sight before last season they were claiming he'd run for 2000 yards and make all these second rate players look bad. It didn't happen. Williams ran for 576 yards and missed 8 games after some unathletic, less talented linebacker popped him comming out of the backfield.

For the past 20 years NFL players were supposed to be able to come up here and run roughshod over the CFL players, it's never happened. We've had people like Marc Gastineau, Fred Bilitnekof, and Vince Ferragamo come up here and they sucked. These are two totally different games and both require different skill sets to play. In the NFL you won't survive if you aren't big, where as in the CFL it's speed and quickness that are required. Both have their proponents who claim each is better, but in fact neither is better because they are not the same game at all.

BTW, I'd like to know how many CFL games have you watched?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:05 am

I have coached both styles of football and to me....I love football. Both games are fun to play and coach but they are very different. The biggest difference is the complexity of the American game. It is far more sophisticated in its schemes, strategies and styles of offense and defense. You can go watch a high school game in American and see a wide variety of offenses such at the Wing - T, Doublewing, Various types of option offense, as well as spread teams. In Canadian football the offenses are all pretty similar and it is much easier to gameplan against. This is not a knock on the game....I still like it, but just my opinion from someone who has coached both styles.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:30 am

Quote:
The biggest difference is the complexity of the American game. It is far more sophisticated in its schemes, strategies and styles of offense and defense.

A good assessment. I think the big thing for the NFL is size of field, size of players and the fact that most teams are pretty well even when it comes to personell. The NFL teams play a grinding type of football that because of the basic equality of the players, makes teams look for ways to beat the opponent through stratagies and new types of offences and defenses. This leads to innovations in both offensive and defensive stratagies.

In the CFL you see almost all the teams use the same offensive and defensive schemes, because they work for the type of game played. The field size, number of downs and smaller players (not less athletic like some have suggested) make it a much more wide open game, that relies more one on one confrontation and single player abiltiy to beat the opponent rather than schemes and set plays.

I think the point fans of the CFL are trying to make here, is that the Amercian game by it's nature is more complex, but not necessarily more entertaining.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:54 pm

I doubt the NFL will come to Canada for decades, if ever.

Why would it?

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:50 pm

yip, VIC IN CANADA..... NFL players in trouble just keep coming..... NFL... Let's name the team "THE DIRTY DOZEN" ROTFL

The newest member VIC {qb} Rick W. {rb} K.Johnson {wr}
T.Owens { w r}

Now in time we should have an outstanding team..... Like to know who the coach would be!! Who would coach this crapp? [popcorn] Sam

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:13 pm

Freakinoldguy wrote:
It's simple......marketing marketing marketing. You take an inferior product, create inflated wages to give the illusion of superiority and brainwash 350 million people into believing it's a better product because of these factors. Fortunately I'm old enough to remember when the CFL was the premier league and we actually drew the best talent from the US college system because we paid them more than the NFL.

Since this relentless barrage of hype, we have been bambozzeled by ad firms from wall street insisting that the NFL is superior without knowing or showing the alternative and a lot of the Canadian people have bought into the hype that bigger is better. As far as I and a lot more Canadian now, are concerned the CFL is still the better game, with more history and action than the NFL, with their ad firms can ever produce .

I completely agree. I've always loved the CFL, right back to the Ronny Lancaster days in Saskatchewan and when I actually hated the Lions with that putz of a coach Vic Rapp. I don't believe the NFL would make it in Canada, wouldn't draw flies after initial novelty wore off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:20 am

I think one of the key factors that saw the decline of popularity in the CFL (like the late 80's and 90s) was for a long time the TV coverage was simply atrocious. Some of you may remember games covered by 1 or 2 camera's which made for less then desirable viewing. Football was a stadium game and when revenues & popularity were tied to stadium seats sold CFL teams could and did compete both in money and quality with the NFL. The NFL fully embraced TV and now its entire revenue is virtually driven by profits generated by TV viewership. As their TV revenues grew almost exponentionally they drew all the best talent with it.

Now the CFL has sucessfully revamped their televised style and watching games on TV is very enjoyable. Unfortunately CDN TV revenues simply cannot compete against US counterparts, a fact that has dogged our TV show production since year dot. Still they generate good revenue and coupled with seat sales that seem to grow yearly the league is getting stronger.

Now all we need is for a "league concensus" that sees the wisdom of having a team in Ottawa/Halifax even if it runs in the red for a few years. It will only make the league stronger in the long run as it draws more fans in.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:22 am

hwacker wrote:
Johnnybgoodaaaaa wrote:
QBCguy wrote:
Well I know I wouldn't support the NFL in Canada. We have a football league here already and we don't need two. I'd always support the BC Lions over the Detroit Lions.

Who would support the Detroit lions anyways? I'd say the Packers or Patriots would be a good team to support if you live in Canada.

Patriots,Patriots,Patriots they can't cover the f'n spread, you know how much they owe me, it's almost as must as the dipshit Jim Kelly does. 4 god damn times. thats something that will never be repeated.
I could insert a football in kellys ass with my foot.....what a fucking loser. The bills had the all time highest wining percentage over that four year period , but Jim flop Kelly just couldnt get it done.

Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:56 am

I am a Canadian who has lived in the U.S. for the last 12 years. Before I moved here the only thing I knew about the NFL was learned from the first Ace Ventura movie. Essentially that Dan Marino was awesome.

Anyway after watching hundreds of NFL games I still believe although the NFL certainly has better atheletes that the CFL has a much better game. I don't consider myself biased, either because Football doesn't even come close to my favourite sport. My observations come from watching many games without ever having a favourite team.

The CFLs game just has more tension, more pop, more excitement. A lot of the NFLs success seems to come from hype, controversy, etc.

Also I think Canadians should know (if they already don't) that college football in a lot of the U.S. is more popular than NFL football. It's pretty interesting.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:34 am

The NFL has some popularity in Canada. Someone only has to look at the NFL Fantasy Leagues. There are tons of Canadians on these sites.

A large market such as Toronto could support an NFL team without affecting the integrity of the CFL. If there is a chance on a Canadian city to get an NFL team, I say go for it !!! That would be awesome.

People would be willing to watch both. Btw, the CFL have their games in the summer wheras the NFL have their schedule later on. Also, TSN usually show the games mostly on Thursday and Friday nights. The NFL mostly have their games on Sundays. So there is not really a conflict of schedule.

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:31 pm

CanadianGigolo wrote:
yip, VIC IN CANADA..... NFL players in trouble just keep coming..... NFL... Let's name the team "THE DIRTY DOZEN" ROTFL

The newest member VIC {qb} Rick W. {rb} K.Johnson {wr}
T.Owens { w r}

Now in time we should have an outstanding team..... Like to know who the coach would be!! Who would coach this crapp? [popcorn] Sam

I think all these players are crazy! [rtfm]

Someone said i was a racist...nop I'm a team player!. I don't care what race or religion you are, THERE rules and IF you're not going to fellow them get, LOST!!!!

And if that means coming to CANADA SO BE IT! [flag]

We take all kinds of terrorist!!!!! [popcorn] Sammy...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Hey Gigolo,

There is no need for the CFL to bring all the NFL leftovers. They should do like they did once in the early 90's. Draft potential 1st rounders stars from the college ranks like ``rocket`` Ismail. And pay them the big bucks. But it would have to be a few like that.

Bring in the stars and the league would flourish. Again, the CFL is quite good. But this would help the league thrive.

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:36 pm

Pimpbrewski wrote:
Hey Gigolo,

There is no need for the CFL to bring all the NFL leftovers. They should do like they did once in the early 90's. Draft potential 1st rounders stars from the college ranks like ``rocket`` Ismail. And pay them the big bucks. But it would have to be a few like that.

Bring in the stars and the league would flourish. Again, the CFL is quite good. But this would help the league thrive.

The problem with that idea, IT DOESN'T WORK IN THIS MARKET!

If Canada was to have a NFL TEAM {WHICH I DOUBT} It would have to be in the Toronto area, OR AN AREA which can draw the population.

In the 90's or whatever year it was , this cause the league problems. C.F.L isn't the N.F.L and owners have to suck up the cost.

Now if N.F.L was to put a team in CANADA and one in MEXICO AND USED PROFIT SHARING AS THEY DO NOW IN MOST LEAGUES. Canada may have a team.
The idea would be good but would it hurt the C.F.L? I don't like think so!
You have these people{politicans} that are anti-Americans, and don't look at IT AS sport* or what it may do for Canada. I believe opening this new door is a good idea!

Worked in Hockey! [popcorn] Sammy

politicans * MORE IN TURE TO PROTECT CANADIAN CULTURE! Yet they'll watch N.F.L GAMES AND BET ON THEM !Shelia Copps was one of these people, that was two faced!!!!!!!
:wink: Sam