CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13906

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:14 pm
 


Am I right... I've been trying to 'be a sport' about it for too long!!! One of the many things I loved about the CFL is that it didnt have those simplistic, cheezy NFL-style "country rock" songs. Not that it was.great in past years, but now its this Southern redneck pop garbage??? Seriously, does anyone like.this SHIT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=bTo6_f9hXLs&nomobile=1

[edited to fix link from mobile version]


Last edited by BeaverFever on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13906

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:18 pm
 


PS in the time it took me to post this since that horrendous intro, its 7-0 Calgary. Fuck Edmonton and bring more beer!


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27652
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:30 pm
 


Except for getting the original classic Hockey Night In Canada theme music I can't think of much about the Toronto Sports Network that isn't God-awful. :mrgreen:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13906

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:58 am
 


And it's not just the song, the whole intro is shit, with little football players running across a screen of CGI graphics that are flying all over the place. Its dumb. DUMB! Does this actually appeal to people? Is the average sports fan really so simple-minded as to enjoy this?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27652
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:01 am
 


Football fans down south put up with a drunk redneck loser racist like Hank Jr doing the theme for MNF for twenty years so I guess they're dumb enough to put up with anything.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:27 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
Am I right... I've been trying to 'be a sport' about it for too long!!! One of the many things I loved about the CFL is that it didnt have those simplistic, cheezy NFL-style "country rock" songs. Not that it was.great in past years, but now its this Southern redneck pop garbage??? Seriously, does anyone like.this SHIT?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bTo6_f9h ... To6_f9hXLs


The song's not great but the pace and the graphics are good.

You want a great football intro? Here's one of the best ones ever! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYAJB5Aybs


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:37 am
 


Thanos wrote:
Football fans down south put up with a drunk redneck loser racist like Hank Jr doing the theme for MNF for twenty years so I guess they're dumb enough to put up with anything.


A lot of country singers are broken-down wrecks, or have come back from it. You have to feel the pain to make the gain, man. :P


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 29199
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:07 am
 


Jonny_C wrote:
The song's not great but the pace and the graphics are good.

You want a great football intro? Here's one of the best ones ever! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYAJB5Aybs

Even though Faith Hill is WAY easier on the eyes, I still prefer Hank Williams' rendition.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13906

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:07 am
 


Jonny_C wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:
Am I right... I've been trying to 'be a sport' about it for too long!!! One of the many things I loved about the CFL is that it didnt have those simplistic, cheezy NFL-style "country rock" songs. Not that it was.great in past years, but now its this Southern redneck pop garbage??? Seriously, does anyone like.this SHIT?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bTo6_f9h ... To6_f9hXLs


The song's not great but the pace and the graphics are good.

You want a great football intro? Here's one of the best ones ever! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYAJB5Aybs


Graphics are good?? I'm not talking about produciton quality, I'm talking about the design concept- players running around inside a CGI universe of flying TSN logos. It looks like one of those animated scenes that people park their babies in front of to veg out on when mommy needs an hour of peace and quiet.

The NFL intro is slightly better, but there's way too much advertising space for the sponsor (Verizon) and the music still sucks. I hate that pop/country music genre in the first place and its even worse when it's engineered for a TV jingle. And get rid of lyrics in the intro song altoger; I don't need literal, overly-simplistic lyrics to spell everything out at a 3rd-grade comprehension level. I get Thanos' point that this format appeals to the southern goobers and the lowest common denominator in the US, but this is Canada, why would we just copy that format?

I think the HNIC is probably the high-water mark in this area, lots of archived footage and nods to the heritage of the sport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zLAVyRIgEQ


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:47 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
The NFL intro is slightly better, but there's way too much advertising space for the sponsor (Verizon) and the music still sucks. I hate that pop/country music genre in the first place and its even worse when it's engineered for a TV jingle. And get rid of lyrics in the intro song altoger; I don't need literal, overly-simplistic lyrics to spell everything out at a 3rd-grade comprehension level. I get Thanos' point that this format appeals to the southern goobers and the lowest common denominator in the US, but this is Canada, why would we just copy that format?


The intro to a TV sporting event is supposed to get you psyched up. It's not supposed to be loaded with deep meaning (which would be kind of incongruous for a sport). It's cheerleading, plain and simple. Speaking of cheerleaders...

Attachment:
cheer.JPG


...um, nevermind, back to the topic at hand.

I'd much rather see a couple of quick clips of "Verizon" in an intro than those tacky labels CFL players wear on their uniforms - RONA and Scotiabank.

Those southern goobers know how to put on a show.

The HNIC intro... nothing wrong with that, I think it's great too.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13906

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:04 am
 


Quote:
Those southern goobers know how to put on a show.



Disagree!!

I like 30 Rock's parody of it:



Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:08 pm
 


BeaverFever wrote:
Disagree!!


OK. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that.

I wouldn't presume to change your mind on what your tastes are, but I do think that maybe your aversion is not common.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1990
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:08 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
Jonny_C wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:
Am I right... I've been trying to 'be a sport' about it for too long!!! One of the many things I loved about the CFL is that it didnt have those simplistic, cheezy NFL-style "country rock" songs. Not that it was.great in past years, but now its this Southern redneck pop garbage??? Seriously, does anyone like.this SHIT?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bTo6_f9h ... To6_f9hXLs


The song's not great but the pace and the graphics are good.

You want a great football intro? Here's one of the best ones ever! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYAJB5Aybs


Graphics are good?? I'm not talking about produciton quality, I'm talking about the design concept- players running around inside a CGI universe of flying TSN logos. It looks like one of those animated scenes that people park their babies in front of to veg out on when mommy needs an hour of peace and quiet.

The NFL intro is slightly better, but there's way too much advertising space for the sponsor (Verizon) and the music still sucks. I hate that pop/country music genre in the first place and its even worse when it's engineered for a TV jingle. And get rid of lyrics in the intro song altoger; I don't need literal, overly-simplistic lyrics to spell everything out at a 3rd-grade comprehension level. I get Thanos' point that this format appeals to the southern goobers and the lowest common denominator in the US, but this is Canada, why would we just copy that format?

I think the HNIC is probably the high-water mark in this area, lots of archived footage and nods to the heritage of the sport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zLAVyRIgEQ

I so wanted to let this go. I really did. I can't! You come on here with this snobby east coast, morally superior attitude about music. You equate liking country music to being inbred white trash from Appalachia. I seriously doubt that you have been to either Alberta, or the American southland. Calgary has some of the largest stockyards in North America. One of the largest rodeos as well. One would have to go to Dallas to see more cowboy hats than in Calgary. I could slip the average Texan a roofie, drop him off in Calgary, and he would not even know that he had left Texas. Cowboys and roughnecks. These people bust their asses for a living. They work and freeze their asses off out in the yards,and the patch. They put food on the table, and gas in the tank. They probabaly work harder in an 8 hour day than you do in 40. Who are you to belittle their choice of music? The best selling studio album of all time by a female artist is from Shania Twain. Its a country album. So yeah, lots of us DO like this shit! You don't like it, then don't listen to it. But don't come on here and act all superior just because you live in Toronto. Judging from the attendence from last nights game, I would say that the CFL needs to copy something from the NFL and fast. There is no excuse for that poor of a showing for a friday night game that was broadcast across all of North America,(heading into post season I might add).


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13906

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:03 pm
 


Gosh, all this time we've preached to about not stereotyping westerners and southerners as farmers and ranch hands and here you go! FYI, I spent every summer of my childhood in Saskatchewan and Alberta, where all my extended family lives and I also lived in Florida for 5 years. Also, you can spare me your "hard days work, salt of the earth" lines because I don't recall you sharing any such sentiment with factory workers fighting to keep their pensions or migrant workers busting their asses for less than minimum wage. But we digress...

To the subject at hand, my problem is not that it's 'country' music, but that the TV theme song, and the entire intro, is stupid cheesy SHIT. The lyrics in particular are - to use Ann Coulter's verbiage - retarded.

I don't particularly care that it's country-ish (although I am not a fan of the genre). The previous FNF song was pop-rock based but it also sucked, more of those lame-brain lyrics. If they just used an existing Shania Twain song, for example, it wouldn't bother me. As I said before, the whole animation sequence, the lyrics that have to spell it all out at a juvenile comprehension level are what bothers me.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:12 pm
 


BeaverFever wrote:
As I said before, the whole animation sequence, the lyrics that have to spell it all out at a juvenile comprehension level are what bothers me.


Go to the fridge and grab a beer during the intro, then enjoy the game.

Problem solved. [B-o]


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.