Author Topic Options

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:45 pm

[QUOTE BY= sthompson] But what are the chances the company will in fact be bought by the US? [/QUOTE] I'd say pretty good. I'd even lay even money that there already is a buyer.<p>

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:41 pm

What a short-sighted thing to do when we all know an energy shortage is coming!! It's pretty disgusting that parties are more interested in getting elected than they are in the good of our nation.

Kory Yamashita

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:54 pm

Yeah, but maybe this is the perfect time to switch to alternative energy. I'm mad that all the money from the sale isn't going towards that.

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:33 am

Tifani, you're dead on. But instead of investing in alternative energy they're just paying down the debt. Feeding the bankers. Seems like all the money trails lead to the bankers these days, and the power trails lead away... So they control the world and barely anyone knows who they are? Isn't that a little strange? -KY

Kory Yamashita

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:17 pm

yeah gov't is messed up. sorry but even when we get other forms of energy we still need to produce gas and oil. i.e. it is crucial in the making of pavement :S. Pretty sure we are nowehere near an alternative to that yet. but meh. no surprise here and no surprise that there were probably a few swiss bank accounts growing at the same time. I just do not get how you can sell out your own people for money, especially when your already so well to do. There is no justification. A few years back Nova Scotia runned all liquor stores and then privatized it saying that the sales of liqour was a risky biz. Yeah bc canadians are realy gonna stop drinking real soon. NOt even an Atkins diet would stop that. blah.

why is it 'pro'-crastination not 'con'?

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:18 am

Privatisation is just a short-term quick fix to the shortcomings of Friedmanian economics. Since they revolve around perpetual growth as the primary economic indicator, this indicator in Friedman's concepts can be falsely represented through privatisation. However, privatisation is a unique single-occurrence event that simulates growth. Basically, it's a last-ditch attempt to save the economy before an inevitable econimic collapse. We ought to be investing in modern infrastructure rather than undermining the aging existing infrastructure. Bah!!! I hate whining about things like this. The worst part is that there ARE viable solutions, means to surpass these seemingly insurmountable obstacles. We, as a country, simply choose to subscribe to a blisfful ignorance in which we're unaware or, or perhaps uncaring towards, these solutions. I think people can be awoken, though. Conscience isn't merely a learned phenomenon; it's inherent since birth. It is corruption that is passed on through example. So we need to get a message out... one that will subdue personal corruption and awaken conscience. Give people an alternative of true realistic hope and they will follow. That's my theory anyways.

Kory Yamashita

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:34 pm

are there any canadian companys left? there are some, but not many... i think ATI is still canadian. I dont think its smart to sell Petro canada, as its most likely going to be bought by an american country... this is just like when the government sold the "aleoduque" to the americans ecasue they had the higher bid. "aleoduque": im not sure if this is the right spelling, but its in french.. not sure what the english word is. its the pipeline across canada though.

Proud to be CANADIAN!

Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:56 pm

Shid,

You can find a small list of Canadian companies on my site. My site is in my profile. You will find the Canadian companies under my "Canada" page.

Kevin

Acoustic Guitar: This machine will kill facist.- Woody Guthrie