canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:24 am

I don't know about anyone else but I'm a big fan of city building games. From the original Simcity all the way up to Simcity 4. But one thing always bugged me about those games, lack of freedom when designing a city layout, although Simcity 4 has an extensive modding community, it's still quite difficult to make your city follow the land's natural contours. Then Cities XL came out. It showed promise and even had an on-line component to make it sort of like an MMO.
Unfortunatley, the on-line component wasn't popular, so they brought out Cities XL 2011 that removed the on-line component and made the game a little more solo friendly.
However, I have a real issue with the developers, Monte Cristo. When I first got the game I was having some technical issue trying to install it, so I contacted their customer support. No reply whatsoever, but I did figure out what the issue was.
Now, they've made a patch for the original Cities XL to remove the on-line client package, butttttt ever since doing that, I can't sign in to play the game offline (which is how I always played it anyway). It tells me I have the incorrect name or password, so I contacted customer support again. That was over 2 weeks ago and still no reply.

Monte Cristo Games are crooks. They can take their games and shove 'em.

And if anyone else is considering purchasing either of the Cities XL games, I'd seriously reconsider unless you like buying software with ZERO tech support.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:16 am

Eh, I think you don't realize that Cities XL is basically dead. They created Cities 2011, which was actually released by another company after Monte Cristo went under. If you bought Cities XL, the other company....forgot the name, I think Focus Home Interactive, has a deal in the Cities 2011 site for a 50% discount for people who were suckered into buying Cities XL.

You can see good deals for this on Steam and such too, but make sure it's the Cities 2011, and not Cities XL.

So yeah, I was in your boat, though I was much more furious at the online portion.

http://www2.citiesxl.com/