Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Has anyone here tried this game? How about the arma 2 dayz mod? I just bought Dayz standalone on steam. I haven't played yet but I've watched a lot of the videos out there and it looks fun. I'm also thinking of trying Rust.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Has anyone here tried this game? How about the arma 2 dayz mod? I just bought Dayz standalone on steam. I haven't played yet but I've watched a lot of the videos out there and it looks fun. I'm also thinking of trying Rust.

Never played it but I hear the Arma series is a good game. I have a bunch of the newer ones including BF4 but keep going back to COD W@W. I find all the new ones too gimmicky. Just give me a good gun and a few nades and lets have at her!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Regina Regina:
RUEZ RUEZ:

Never played it but I hear the Arma series is a good game. I have a bunch of the newer ones including BF4 but keep going back to COD W@W. I find all the new ones too gimmicky. Just give me a good gun and a few nades and lets have at her!!

Ya, I'm thinking about getting Arma 3 as well. It looks good and there are a lot of mods for it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
I'm also thinking of trying Rust.

I like Rust, and I hate Rust.

It's kind of neat to start naked in the woods with a rock, and work your way up to assault weapons and body armour. But all the effort you put into making that huge shiny steel base can be wiped out with a simple server update, and you have to start again.

I hate that part. And unless you join a server within 4 hours of it being wiped, you are going to get shot a lot by people who already have assault weapons and body armour.

And get used to this:

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:26 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
But all the effort you put into making that huge shiny steel base can be wiped out with a simple server update, and you have to start again.

Not sure how that game loads onto the computer but with COD you can copy your Config files to a file or thumb drive. Then if you get reset, all you do is copy and paste the old Config file into the current one and carry on from that point again. Saves ranking back up and if you play under different online names, you paste that file to each name file and they are all the same rank.
If it is like Origin, that may not be the case though.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:33 am

Regina Regina:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
But all the effort you put into making that huge shiny steel base can be wiped out with a simple server update, and you have to start again.

Not sure how that game loads onto the computer but with COD you can copy your Config files to a file or thumb drive. Then if you get reset, all you do is copy and paste the old Config file into the current one and carry on from that point again. Saves ranking back up and if you play under different online names, you paste that file to each name file and they are all the same rank.

COD on Steam saves all your progress on Steam servers, but with Rust all the logs are server side. Whatever you do is only on that server, it does not follow you between servers. The people I play with all chip in and we rent our own server, so we decide when it gets 'wiped'.

It's good though, because server admins can look through the logs to see what people are doing, and spot the fishy ones easier. Rust just went through a major upgrade, and the 'new' code is running side by side with the old, and the new stuff will change everything once it goes 'live'.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 pm

PLayed DayZ for 6 weeks a year or 2(can't remember) ago when it was a Mod. It has a good atmosphere, but inevitably is just a DM game of players who have got all the good stuff and are now bored so they turn to sniping lesser players trying to get good stuff.

What disappointed me most about it was the game has great potential, but chooses not realize it.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:41 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Regina Regina:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

COD on Steam saves all your progress on Steam servers, but with Rust all the logs are server side. Whatever you do is only on that server, it does not follow you between servers. The people I play with all chip in and we rent our own server, so we decide when it gets 'wiped'.

It's good though, because server admins can look through the logs to see what people are doing, and spot the fishy ones easier. Rust just went through a major upgrade, and the 'new' code is running side by side with the old, and the new stuff will change everything once it goes 'live'.

Love the dedicated servers. I admin ours too. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Well I've been playing a couple days. So far it's a lot of exploring, and a few frustrating murders by people I never even saw. It's not a good way to get noobs interested in a new game but I'm not giving up yet.