bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:55 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/app/63950/

Looks amazing. I remember Lawrence Holland Battle of Brittan back in the day (the same guy who made the X-wing and Tie Fighter series). This looks to pick up where that left off.

Wow 8O

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:17 am

8O 8O 8O 8O

8)

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:27 am

Read about this in PC Gamer. They said it looks great and all the gauges are functional in the cockpit. However they also said that when you fly over London that your frame rate drops to singal digits even when your not running max resolutions. They also said that it seemed as though it was rushed out the door and does not feel finished.

As a fan of combat flight sims and the IL-2 series in particular I will probably pick it up anyway. Since I just bought a new flight setup.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:37 am

I'm wondering if it's too much fussing around with cockpit controls to fly? The previous flight sims I have, were somewhat automatic in things like prop pitch and fuel mixtures. You could set it all manual but it is very difficult to make adjustments and fly since you had visually look down at the control and take your eye off the target. You can't feel the control so you need to look away.
The cockpit and aircraft graphics look great but the ground scenery looks a little outdated and boxy. The site states there's been some patches for the game so the frame rate may have been addressed along with other graphic. Looks like Steam has it's hands in there so who knows............

canuckns what kind of flight set up do you have. Been a while since I've played them because my new computer doesn't play my old games.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:03 am

Well it inspired me to pick up 1946 for 6 bucks (all Ubi games are a third off this week on steam):

You can pretty much customize everything and having a blast flying a Stuka again. Might have to pick up a joystick in the future but the effects are all there. You can black out or pass out, be blinded by the sun and the camera controls are spot on.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:58 am

I just picked up the Saitek Pro Flight Combat rudder pedals to add to my Saitek X52 Pro flight contorl system.

Thinking about adding 2 more monitors and using Track IR.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Realistic black outs and sun are a must to make it more authentic. Having experienced both on my last flight in March, I'd say goes a long way to making it more real.
I think I'd need a new joystick too. The one I have is a Wingman Force Feedback 3D and a little long in the tooth. There's some sweet rigs out there now and I love the look of that Tracker IR!! [drool]
I've only been playing the COD2 and 5 for the past number of years and am a bit out of touch with the flight sims but it looks like Saitek has some of the best flight controls.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Do you guys buy games through Steam or at a gaming store?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Regina wrote:
Do you guys buy games through Steam or at a gaming store?

Both. Steam doesn't have all the games, but the ones they do make life easy. No losing discs, no scratched media that you can't replace.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:46 pm

I do both, but lately I've been doing steam and DDLs for the same reasons DrC mentions

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Steams been amazing as of late. The deals are getting better and better as more devs sign on and the fact I don't have to store hard copy is a huge plus in my books.

There are downsides with steam. Mostly to do with mods. On the one hand steam will auto-patch your game so it is always up to date but in the same token steam is proprietary in so far if you want to mod a game to your preference you can run into problems with the master file they use to activate the game as it will revrt it when you start it back to what steam wants it and that may curtail your abilty to use some features.

Other then that thou I haven't walked into a software store in years now. I think places like EB are going to go the way of Blockbuster and Steam is a major reason for that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Just bought the Ubisoft WWII Pack for $30. 3x BIA, Blazing Angels/2, IL-76 Sturmovik 1946, Silent Hunter III + Wolves of the Pacific + Wolves of the Pacific Uboat. 2 days ago got Settlers 7 and Metro 2033. Steam is going to be the death of me. :( :lol:

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm not a big fan of Steam........it made Black Ops suck. Hope it's better with the other stuff it controls.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:11 am

How did it make Black Ops suck?

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:54 am

Very laggy and since it also doesn't play well with other games it conflicts with Punk Buster when trying to play COD5 WAW. I tweaked the Steam settings which helped a bit and cut down a bit of the lag. But then again I thought Black Ops sucked too.