bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:33 am

Yes I am giddy as shit. This is the closest to a proper sequel for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri I've ever seen, and the trailer looks beautiful. Already planning to preorder this, even with the standard bugs and glitches of Firaxis made games.

Me:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:55 am

Same. The good thing is that it's Firaxis making it. I'd have been happy with a HD remaster of Alpha Centauri too.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:57 am

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Alpha Centauri and the Civ series, but I don't think this is going to qualify as a proper sequel to Alpha Centauri. From what I read humans are the only playable race in this game and the alien encounters are described as non-sentient:

Beyond Earth also features alien life, but it looks like they share more in common with The War of the World’s red weed than X-Com’s hyper-intelligent planetary dominators. They’re described as ‘non-sentient’

http://www.pcgamesn.com/spirit-alpha-ce ... yond-earth

Much of what I like about Alpha Centauri was the different races and the strengths/ weaknesses, inherent alliances, etc.

This is going to be more like an expanded version of Civ than a sequel to A.C.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:42 pm

It reads like more than just DLC. IT's the Civ5 structure, but most importantly, the tech tree is non-linear which will help differentiate the civs by the end.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:16 pm

If I recall correctly in AC the playable alien races didn't appear until the Crossfire expansion.

Something similar could be in the cards for this game, alien race DLC's.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:38 pm

I wish Sid and Bill got back to making real games like the microprose days. I really liked AH 64 simulation even with all its limitations. Nowadays after a hihatus of more than a decade I'm getting back to gaming.

Learning to fly the DCS A-10C Warthog, and learning quickly that its a money pit, the simulator itself is less than 50$ but now I need the HOTAS flight stick and then for even more immersion a trackir 5 so on and so forth. But enjoying the realism none the less, with an exact replica of the cockpit and every switch clickable. Takes about 10 mins just to start up the engines and get to taxi.

Ironically DCS is a Russian company, now if sid and bill made a modern day Apache simulator I'd be throwing money at it.

P.S : No jokes about learning only how to take off and fly and skipping the landing tutorials !

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:56 pm

desertdude wrote:

P.S : No jokes about learning only how to take off and fly and skipping the landing tutorials !

As if anyone here would go for the low hanging fruit like that...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm

saturn_656 wrote:
If I recall correctly in AC the playable alien races didn't appear until the Crossfire expansion.

Something similar could be in the cards for this game, alien race DLC's.

You're right saturn. I never played Alpha Centauri with the expansion. I've been meaning to try, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

I don't mind the human centric aspect of the story, although I am curious to see how they handle the faction/leader type.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 pm

xerxes wrote:
Same. The good thing is that it's Firaxis making it. I'd have been happy with a HD remaster of Alpha Centauri too.

Sadly, and somehow, EA owns the rights to Alpha Centauri, so, basically they'll probably fuck it up like they did with every other non-sports and FPS franchise they have.