bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 pm

I made one last year, so it's time for another. 2013 came and went, and certainly a great deal happened for gaming. New consoles, the Steam OS, Steambox, and a large variety of game releases and announcements.

2013, for me, was a mixed bag. Simcity 5, and Rome II: Total War are two of the major disappointments of the year (might I add, FUCK EA.) but, 2013 is when I truly got into indie games, like Prison Architect, and Spacebase DF-9. The past year also had me return to great, older games, like Crusader Kings II, Civilization V (especially with their newest expansion), Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and Star Trek: Online.

This thread is for my most anticipated games of the year, even if they aren't released in 2014.

Banished

Release Date: February 18, 2014

I found Banished soon after my incredible disappointment with Simcity 5, last year, trying to find some solace that city builder games are not completely dead. Banished answered my pleas. Being developed by ONE guy (literally, he has developed everything from art, to AI programming, to sounds), Banished is a medieval era city builder where you help a group of settlers banished from civilization survive in untamed wilderness. Hopefully, Banished can satisfy my city management urges that Simcity utterly failed to do so.

Company website: http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?page_id=680
Steam Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920/

Tropico 5

Release Date: Sometime 2014

Again, another strategy management game from yours truly, Commanderkai. If last year's list wasn't obvious, I really do enjoy management, simulation, and strategy games. The Tropico series is one that has never disappointed me too greatly, compared to many other game series. This will be the first since Tropico 2: Pirate Cove that they expand the series from it's roots, by starting your tiny Caribbean nation during the 18th century, and not just in 1950. Kalypso has had a bad tendency to make mediocre games outside of the Tropico series, so I truly hope they don't drop the ball with this game.

Company website: http://www.tropico5.com/us/info.php

Galactic Civilizations III

Release Date: Sometime 2014

And now for something slightly different! A 4X game from Stardock! One of the best 4X games since Master of Orion 2 and Birth of the Federation, I'm incredibly excited for the release of Galactic Civilizations III. They're taking the hex-style maps that Civilization V made popular as of late, but more interestingly, it'll be a game that requires a x64-bit operating system. It picks off from the last game plus her expansions, and I can't wait burn the Drengin Empire to dust, and make a mountain out of their skulls.

Company website: http://www.galciv3.com/

Enough from me, for now. Share with me what you guys are excited for in 2014, on any system.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm excited about EA releasing BF3.2 or as they'll call it BF5 in which they'll attempt fix the problems they had in BF3 and BF4 but, because of their and Dices ineptitude will cause even more issues than they have now.

All which will contribute to mass suicides across the globe of the hackers who, shelled out mom and dads good money to cheat and win at a game that nobody can play, without experiencing EA's famous crashing, major lag, overpowered indestructible vehicles, bad netcode and of course world famous customer support. Meaning, that nobody will ever know how you, a 12 year old with your massive 1000/1 Kill Death Ration and cheat o meter score of 99.9% are a gaming god :D

Fuck EA is an understatement and I really feel sorry for all the Star Wars fans because they're about to see just how EA and Dice really operate. XD

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 pm

GTA V

Tropico 4 was great, certainly interested in 5. That promo is :lol: :lol:

Banished looks interesting. Has a nice interface too from what I saw on that promo.

Star Citizen seems very interesting, not sure if it comes out this year though.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:42 am

Galactic Civilizations 3!!

Little gamers tidbit - Galactic Civilizations was the first and only game for OS/2 Warp 3. I had a copy too.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:59 am

My daughter's really into Hungry Hungry hippos... I find it a bit messy though. Damn marbles end up everywhere when i'm walking around in the dark.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:14 am

commanderkai wrote:
I made one last year, so it's time for another. 2013 came and went, and certainly a great deal happened for gaming. New consoles, the Steam OS, Steambox, and a large variety of game releases and announcements.

2013, for me, was a mixed bag. Simcity 5, and Rome II: Total War are two of the major disappointments of the year (might I add, FUCK EA.)

I gotta say that the only things that really disappointed me about SC5 are the persistent internet connection and the small city size. The city sizes I can deal with, but since they give the option of making private regions, why the persistent internet connection? Could'a played the damn game during the black-out if I could have played it off-line. But yeah, fuck EA. MoH Warfighter was a huge POS too.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:32 am

PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
commanderkai wrote:

2013, for me, was a mixed bag. Simcity 5, and Rome II: Total War are two of the major disappointments of the year (might I add, FUCK EA.)

I gotta say that the only things that really disappointed me about SC5 are the persistent internet connection and the small city size. The city sizes I can deal with, but since they give the option of making private regions, why the persistent internet connection? Could'a played the damn game during the black-out if I could have played it off-line. But yeah, fuck EA. MoH Warfighter was a huge POS too.

Supposedly, the online requirement will be patched out in the next patch, according to PC Gamer, so the next, and in my opinion, bigger issue is the tiny city sizes. I just don't like having my city be so constricted, forcing me to build up. Plus, it looks rather silly when there's empty space all around it too

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/13/simci ... xt-update/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:06 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
commanderkai wrote:

City size is what bothers me the most. I want to at least have 1 million citizens, but so far breaking 300k is very difficult, although I have only played it a few weeks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Titanfall looks like the game will make me get an Xbox 1

South Park: The Stick of Truth looks epic.

And The Division looks really ambitious if they can pull it off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:53 pm

That looks interesting. The people sound a little too calm, but besides that point it seems to have a lot of potential.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:58 am

The Division does look pretty cool. Maybe we can get a CKA group going (on the PC, of course. Cause PC Master Race.) once the game is released, and Steam has a decent sale for it. :lol: :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 am

Watch_Dogs

Release: 06/30/2014

Set in Chicago, where a central network of computers connects everyone and everything, Watch_Dogs explores the impact of technology within our society. Using the city as your weapon, you will embark on a personal mission to inflict your own brand of justice.

Watch_Dogs

Kind of reminds me of Splinter Cell.

As I live in Chicago I am interested in seeing how well they map out the city. From what I've they used Google maps tyto re-create the city.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Nuclear Union, apparently due Q2 this year.

"Nuclear Union is an upcoming postapocalyptic nuclear-strike video game developed by Best Way, and published by 1C Company, to be released in 2014 Q2 exclusively for Microsoft Windows. The story begins during the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, with the majority of the narrative and gameplay taking place in an alternate, modern-day Soviet Union."

Gimme

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:24 pm

Public_Domain wrote:
Nuclear Union, apparently due Q2 this year.

"Nuclear Union is an upcoming postapocalyptic nuclear-strike video game developed by Best Way, and published by 1C Company, to be released in 2014 Q2 exclusively for Microsoft Windows. The story begins during the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, with the majority of the narrative and gameplay taking place in an alternate, modern-day Soviet Union."

Gimme

Interesting. Reminds me of the Metro series. The thumbnail pic is from Fallout 3 though(iirc).