bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:30 am

SPENT

http://www.playspent.org

This is an interesting and short game where you must attempt to survive 30 days with just $1000 to start with and a minimum wage job. You must look for housing, pick a certain field for work, and make decisions regarding your health and welfare. You deal with bills, like electric, mobile, and credit. You will be thrown random scenarios which demand (or provide) funds, giving the game excellent replay value. Many of the events put into an excellent light the struggle there is between choosing your social connections or choosing your money for your own survival.

So, can you survive? I mean, you would never need a helping hand, would you?

Play the game and we'll see.

I survived with $216. Had to avoid funerals, letting my kid play sports or take advanced maths, and had to have a noisy roommate just to have extra money.

Played again and got destroyed by a dental bill of $800, :(

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:50 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
SPENT

http://www.playspent.org

This is an interesting and short game where you must attempt to survive 30 days with just $1000 to start with and a minimum wage job. You must look for housing, pick a certain field for work, and make decisions regarding your health and welfare. You deal with bills, like electric, mobile, and credit. You will be thrown random scenarios which demand (or provide) funds, giving the game excellent replay value. Many of the events put into an excellent light the struggle there is between choosing your social connections or choosing your money for your own survival.

So, can you survive? I mean, you would never need a helping hand, would you?

Play the game and we'll see.

I survived with $216. Had to avoid funerals, letting my kid play sports or take advanced maths, and had to have a noisy roommate just to have extra money.

Played again and got destroyed by a dental bill of $800, :(

Yeah, I got smoked repeatedly by stuff like that, thank god I took that health insurance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:57 am

I tried many of the different options, just to see how it would play through. Playing without health insurance didn't pan out... Neither did talking to the union guy in the parking lot. It's sad how much truth there is in the need to betray your loved ones and yourself just to make it through.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:01 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I tried many of the different options, just to see how it would play through. Playing without health insurance didn't pan out... Neither did talking to the union guy in the parking lot. It's sad how much truth there is in the need to betray your loved ones and yourself just to make it through.

I actually made it through pretty comfortably and would have done better if not for the F#*%$ing landlord.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 am

Was an absolute bastard and made is through with $1361.

(Plus some IOU's, skipped car registration and car payments, plus i broke my kid's piggy bank)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:08 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Was an absolute bastard and made is through with $1361.

(Plus some IOU's, skipped car registration and car payments, plus i broke my kid's piggy bank)

I made it though with 500, got a couple really lucky breaks (mostly just didn't get repeatedly smoked with negative things), I find it interesting though that it is a family with only one employed person, not many of those around anymore once the kids start going to school.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:11 am

There doesn't seem to be a significant other mentioned in this, it would perhaps complicate the game further... Though that should be an addition/toggle option, just to see how it would pan out.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:15 am

It could be making the assumption that it is a single mother/father but then you have trouble feeling pity for them as they screwed themselves over by having the kid (kids are damned expensive).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:21 am

Not all children are on purpose. Nor are all relationships solid as stone...

The nuclear family is something I've never known, personally.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:19 am

I made it through with $189 left, but I would have an unhappy child, unhgappy family and unhappy friends.....I want to try it again doing a different job

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:33 am

Dumb. I would not have a pet, would likely not use my car but would use a bike, and other things that are not necessarily realistic but kinda designed to ensure you fail or come close to it. A little biased in other words.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:44 am

I made it through with $40, but we rent due tomorrow Im pretty screwed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:51 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Dumb. I would not have a pet, would likely not use my car but would use a bike, and other things that are not necessarily realistic but kinda designed to ensure you fail or come close to it. A little biased in other words.

Nor does it consider the financial support you'd get from the government in this situation of low income with a child.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Nor does it consider the financial support you'd get from the government in this situation of low income with a child.

It's American so frankly, I'm not sure what assistance you get from the US/state governments.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 am

$1000/mo is pretty much what a single person on provincial disability in Ontario gets. After rent and food, there's very little for anything else like a phone or cable or internet.

[sarcasm]On the "plus" side, at least it's non-taxable income.[/sarcasm]