Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:46 pm

It sucks. We had a stint in BC childrens with our first. Surgery then full recovery, perfectly healthy now.

This little one is in for a tougher haul: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#132827

http://www.gofundme.com/lvwqko

She used to be in the same Jiu Jitsu class as my daughter and they were buddies. Always picked each other as wrestling/training partners.

Really sweet kid.

There is generally only ONE organization that gets all of my charitable donations, and that is BC children's hospital. I turn into an emotional wuss when it comes to kids. :cry:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:58 pm

It sucks when that happens to kids. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:05 pm

$1:
I turn into an emotional wuss when it comes to kids.

I think we all do.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:04 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
It sucks when that happens to kids. :(

Yup... a friend of mine who I played softball with had his girl 3 weeks before my son was born. We were always taking about how they would become best friends. The day mine was baptized, his daughter died of sudden infant death syndrome... worst funeral I've EVER been. I don't think I've ever cried that much, either. :(

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:10 pm

:(

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:21 pm

The thing that gets me about sick kids hospital is the paid parking. I really don't think that the parents of the child should have to pay. They have eough to worry about with out having to get the dam car out of hock everytime they need to be somewhere else. When my great nephew was in the BC childrens hospital that part really got to me as that adds up real fast and isn't thought of. Considering for a while my neice was in a different hospital poor daddy was paying at both.

I have heard amazing things about the MacDonald house by Sick Kids in TO. A friends grand daughter was there over christmas with cancer. She is in remition now and her hair is growing back.

Sad way to find out things

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:23 pm

I'm not sure things could get much worse for this kid, today's update:

$1:
We met with the radiation therapist today. We have bad news :( Myla will need proton radiation therapy in Seattle. It is 6 weeks of radiation. She will be put out every day with this treatment. I'm so devastated right now. They said her face will not grow properly and she will need multiple surgeries as she grows up. I am so upset right now and need to tell you all how extremely difficult things are going to be as we continue to cure this cancer. Please keep praying for us. We have so much to go through. She is at school today at BCCH and is meeting new friends. She is happy today.

There isn't a five year old on earth that deserves this.

Last time I saw her was in our house for my daughter's birthday party.

Really bothering me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:24 pm

housewife housewife:
The thing that gets me about sick kids hospital is the paid parking. I really don't think that the parents of the child should have to pay. They have eough to worry about with out having to get the dam car out of hock everytime they need to be somewhere else. When my great nephew was in the BC childrens hospital that part really got to me as that adds up real fast and isn't thought of. Considering for a while my neice was in a different hospital poor daddy was paying at both.

I have heard amazing things about the MacDonald house by Sick Kids in TO. A friends grand daughter was there over christmas with cancer. She is in remition now and her hair is growing back.

Sad way to find out things

I don't know about TO, but the Stollery here in Edmonton sells monthly parking passes for less than a hundred bucks, which considering a day of parking is $14.25, is a pretty good deal.

As someone who has been unfortunate enough to have to spend some significant time there, it was one little thing that made a big difference, as it was nice knowing I didn't have to run out and plug a meter.

Whatever one's opinions are about McDonald's, Ronald McDonald House is an amazing charity (largely funded by proceeds from Happy Meals) that provide cheap accommodations (IIRC $12/day) that includes meals, wi-fi and a bunch of other things. The RMH here in Edmonton just began providing a free shuttle service to and from the hospital too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:28 pm

Robair Robair:

$1:
We met with the radiation therapist today. We have bad news :( Myla will need proton radiation therapy in Seattle. It is 6 weeks of radiation. She will be put out every day with this treatment. I'm so devastated right now. They said her face will not grow properly and she will need multiple surgeries as she grows up. I am so upset right now and need to tell you all how extremely difficult things are going to be as we continue to cure this cancer. Please keep praying for us. We have so much to go through. She is at school today at BCCH and is meeting new friends. She is happy today.

Really bothering me.

That is so sad.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 pm

Robair Robair:
It sucks. We had a stint in BC childrens with our first. Surgery then full recovery, perfectly healthy now.

This little one is in for a tougher haul: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#132827

http://www.gofundme.com/lvwqko

She used to be in the same Jiu Jitsu class as my daughter and they were buddies. Always picked each other as wrestling/training partners.

Really sweet kid.

There is generally only ONE organization that gets all of my charitable donations, and that is BC children's hospital. I turn into an emotional wuss when it comes to kids. :cry:

We're the same way - we now send most of our donations to the Stollery, Edmonton's children's hospital.

Before I became a parent, I never understood why they fund-raised so much and always thought, "Why do they have to constantly fund raise?"

But now that we've been there with one of ours, I understand why they need so much funding - the government covers the medical treatment part of things, but not much of anything else (the little things that make stays somewhat bearable for kids).

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:56 am

Robair Robair:

$1:

Really bothering me.

How sad... poor little girl. :( Life can be so unfair.