Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 19989
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:39 pm
 


Another great game by the young guys, not too happy about the officiating, but with them playing with International rules....*shrug*.....

Next game is Wednesday vs Norway at 7:30 pm ET.


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9914
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:44 pm
 


Wow.... 8O

The Russians are loosing to the Swedes... :lol:

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

No worries, Kassien will probably only miss the game against Norway. It would suck if he gets an extra game or two if we have to face the Swedes to decide the pool.


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9914
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:31 pm
 


The Russians have a more talented team than the Swedes, but the Swedes are playing much better as a team. The Russians are not going to make it very far in this tournament yet again if they don't start playing as a team.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11907
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:22 am
 


The Czechs were their usual chippy/dirty selfs, but thankfully Team Canada spanked them for the win!

Quote:
The Russians are not going to make it very far in this tournament yet again if they don't start playing as a team.


Bingo! This has been a major problem for the Russians for some time now.

As for the hit. Initially I thought it was a good hit and in the NHL it probably wouldn't have been called, but in the IIHF it is illegal to hit to the head or neck and will cost him at least the Norway game and maybe Sweden. Dan Maroulli(?) will rule and I fear he will give him an extra game to avoid appearing biased towards Canada. :roll:


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
Profile
Posts: 32460
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:29 am
 


There was no hit to the head but the poor penalty call carries an automatic game with it. Marouelli can't possibly find any different and add on to it. If anything it was a tad late...........but no hit to the head.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 12349
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:11 am
 


The Kassian hit was not a head shot, but it was a late hit. It was interference. Any time a player is injured as a result of a penalty, it's an automatic major penalty and a game misconduct. So, calling it a head check was the wrong "call", but the result (5 minutes plus a game misconduct) was absolutely correct. It's kind of like when the ref calls "high sticking" when it really should have been "slashing". Does it matter? The penalty has the same result.

If IIHF rules mean that a game misconduct eqauls a two-game suspension, then that's the way she goes. Suspensions are not doled out by the on-ice officials. We can bitch about it being a bad call, but it's only that in name. If it had been called a major and a game misconduct for interference, there'd be nothing to query.


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
Profile
Posts: 32460
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:44 pm
 


So as long as a guy rolls up in a ball after being tripped, that's a major and a game?


Offline
Active Member
Active Member
 Tampa Bay Lightning
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 191
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:20 pm
 


Regina wrote:
So as long as a guy rolls up in a ball after being tripped, that's a major and a game?
Apparently.

Hopefully the reffing will be better today than yesterday.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 12349
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:45 pm
 


Regina wrote:
So as long as a guy rolls up in a ball after being tripped, that's a major and a game?

It's up the referee's judgement to decide whether the player is "hurt" or "injured". That's why, when I report penalties, if a guy is hurt on the play, I don't tell the timekeeper whether it's a 2-min or a 5-min penalty until I've had a few minutes to see if the guy gets up hurt or is truly injured. It just looks bad when you've a called a 2-min minor and have to go back and change it to a major.

If the ref has deemed it to be an "injury", then the penalty must be a major, by rule. That's true of any infraction, like, for example, if a guy is tripped and goes into the boards and is injured, then it's a major for tripping (though tripping majors are usually slew-foot type fouls). It's just that non-stick fouls (tripping, roughing, hooking and interference) rarely result in injuries so we don't often see them called as major penalties. In this case, seeing that the player fouled was carted off the ice on a stretcher, I'd say it was an injury.

CKA_Patriot wrote:
Apparently. Hopefully the reffing will be better today than yesterday.

Are you talking about the Kassian play, or the officiating in general? If I were supervising the game, the linesman that stepped up and made the major penalty call on Kassian would be congratulated for making a great call (though, as I said earlier, it should have been "interference", not "checking to the head".)


Offline
Active Member
Active Member
 Tampa Bay Lightning
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 191
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:34 pm
 


Quote:
Are you talking about the Kassian play, or the officiating in general? If I were supervising the game, the linesman that stepped up and made the major penalty call on Kassian would be congratulated for making a great call (though, as I said earlier, it should have been "interference", not "checking to the head".)


I'm talking in general, but nothing about the Kassian call. There was some missed penalties for both teams that were missed. A few high sticks, an elbow to the neck/face after a play was whistled down (after Cody Aiken got cross checked). So just the officiating in general was a bit sketchy.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33691
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:38 pm
 


2 games for Cassian.

Not great, but could have been worse.

He'll be back soon enough.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11907
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:03 pm
 


Lemmy wrote:
The Kassian hit was not a head shot, but it was a late hit. It was interference. Any time a player is injured as a result of a penalty, it's an automatic major penalty and a game misconduct. So, calling it a head check was the wrong "call", but the result (5 minutes plus a game misconduct) was absolutely correct. It's kind of like when the ref calls "high sticking" when it really should have been "slashing". Does it matter? The penalty has the same result.

If IIHF rules mean that a game misconduct eqauls a two-game suspension, then that's the way she goes. Suspensions are not doled out by the on-ice officials. We can bitch about it being a bad call, but it's only that in name. If it had been called a major and a game misconduct for interference, there'd be nothing to query.


Lemmy, according to the IIHF a head shot is anything to the head or neck region like I said in my earlier post. Thus it was the right call for the organization that the game is being played under. Do I agree with it? No, but I'm not in charge of the IIHF. :(
Overall I find the officiating this year not near as bad as past years. A few missed calls and some questionable calls but not to the extent of years gone by.

Martin14 wrote:
2 games for Cassian.


Damn, I hate being right! 8)
2cdo wrote:
Dan Maroulli(?) will rule and I fear he will give him an extra game to avoid appearing biased towards Canada


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
Profile
Posts: 32460
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:16 pm
 


Lemmy wrote:
Regina wrote:
So as long as a guy rolls up in a ball after being tripped, that's a major and a game?

It's up the referee's judgement to decide whether the player is "hurt" or "injured". That's why, when I report penalties, if a guy is hurt on the play, I don't tell the timekeeper whether it's a 2-min or a 5-min penalty until I've had a few minutes to see if the guy gets up hurt or is truly injured. It just looks bad when you've a called a 2-min minor and have to go back and change it to a major.

If the ref has deemed it to be an "injury", then the penalty must be a major, by rule. That's true of any infraction, like, for example, if a guy is tripped and goes into the boards and is injured, then it's a major for tripping (though tripping majors are usually slew-foot type fouls). It's just that non-stick fouls (tripping, roughing, hooking and interference) rarely result in injuries so we don't often see them called as major penalties. In this case, seeing that the player fouled was carted off the ice on a stretcher, I'd say it was an injury.

CKA_Patriot wrote:
Apparently. Hopefully the reffing will be better today than yesterday.

Are you talking about the Kassian play, or the officiating in general? If I were supervising the game, the linesman that stepped up and made the major penalty call on Kassian would be congratulated for making a great call (though, as I said earlier, it should have been "interference", not "checking to the head".)

Too subjective. Just like a penalty in the first period isn't in the third. Can't think of many sports that are like that. Maybe they should do that with off-sides too.....just to speed the game up and let them play.


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
Profile
Posts: 32460
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:17 pm
 


martin14 wrote:
2 games for Cassian.

Not great, but could have been worse.

He'll be back soon enough.

That makes 2 bad calls.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 12349
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:46 pm
 


CKA_Patriot wrote:
I'm talking in general, but nothing about the Kassian call. There was some missed penalties for both teams that were missed. A few high sticks, an elbow to the neck/face after a play was whistled down (after Cody Aiken got cross checked). So just the officiating in general was a bit sketchy.

There's always missed calls. The ref can't see everything. And even if he did, at this level you could call a penalty on just about EVERY play. How much of a game would you have if the whistle was being blown every 20 seconds? It'd take 10 hours to play three 20 minute periods. You have to pick the penalties you call and try your best to make it even go evenly for both teams.

2Cdo wrote:
Lemmy, according to the IIHF a head shot is anything to the head or neck region

It looked to me like Kassian's shoulder hit the chest. I didn't see anything that looked like contact to the head or neck, unless you decide that the guy's sternum is part of the "neck region". Like I said, it doesn't matter whether it's called a head-check or interference. It was a deserved 5 + GM either way.

Regina wrote:
Too subjective. Just like a penalty in the first period isn't in the third. Can't think of many sports that are like that. Maybe they should do that with off-sides too.....just to speed the game up and let them play.

Well, you have to trust the expertise of the people you put in charge of officiating. Of course there's subjectivity. That's true in any sport's officiating. In this case, however, the guy left the ice on a stretcher, so it's pretty hard to argue with the "injured" conclusion which led to the major penalty.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 10  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.