Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:35 pm

As you all are aware flying octopus debris is the number one problem the NHL faces today. Forget bankruptcy, poor ownership and a all around general lack of interest in many markets. This is why Gary Bettman has decided to fine the Detroit Red Wings $10,000 dollars every time an octopus is twirled overhead. Regardless if it has been a crowd favorite for Zamboni driver Al Sobatka to retrieve an octopus from the ice and gives a few spins on his way off to rile up the fans, nothing trumps the safety of the players. A little bit of juice on the ice is truly far more dangerous than a crushing open ice blow from the likes of a Dion Phaneuf. Gary says he will destroy any long standing tradition, or team history in order to make the game more appealing for its prime demographic, middle aged asian women. Thanks Gary. ASSHOLE!

Please sign the petition at the bottom

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9aJ7xyj2mg&feature=related[/youtube]

[web]http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/nhl_experts/post/NHL-declares-war-on-octopus-twirling?urn=nhl,77783[/web]

[web]http://www.petitiononline.com/octopus8/[/web]

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:40 pm

Don't even get me started on Bettman. In short, the problem with him is he tried to change hockey in order to market it to new fans instead of marketing hockey as it WAS and letting the new fans come.

Don't forget hockey was popular in the States when Gary came aboard and has gone backwards since then.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Bettman is merely an employee of the NHL....

The Board of Directors who own the NHL franchises and the Chairman of the Board are the true bosses of the NHL...

If the owners (board of directors) thought Bettman was making bad business decisions that would cost them money, would they have renewed his contract? Wouldn't they simply fire him?

Most decisions Bettman make must be approved by the board of directors (and sometimes the General Managers)...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 am

Tradition or not I kinda agree with this.

Take the game on Saturday for example.. the octopus got thrown on the ice and no one came to pick it up.. McLeod then picked it up... shook it a few times and threw it back.

now what would have happened if when he threw it back it would have it a fan in a nice suit or something along those lines. he probably would have been fined seeing as players aren't allowed to throw things into the stands..

now dont get me wrong.. I think bettman is a bloody moron but he's got a point with this.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:31 am

Personally I like the octopus throwing tradition.... But Bettman is not the dictator some of you make him out to be... The Chairman of the Board and Board of Directors are the true bosses of the NHL and they have the power to fire Bettman if they so wish....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:11 am

what about seafood alergies???

they could kill someone!