canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:58 pm

Tonight our Women's National team took on the Grande Prairie AAA Midget Storm in one of their many tune up matches they have getting ready for the Olympics.

I have to say, it was a real treat to be present at the game. Those ladies play some Awesome hockey. If it hadn't been for the amazing goal tending by the Storm net minder, the score could have been 19-0+. I only got to stay until the end of the second and it was 3-0 for our woman at that point. I took 50+ photo's in those two periods and I'll share a few. I have to apologize for the ceremonial face off pics...I just sat down , it was quite dark and I didn't have time to set the camera up properly. I had it set for sport shots... :oops:

If you hear about our lady's coming to your town, do yourself a favor and go watch them play, you will have a great evening.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:57 am

BTW, best part of the game...seeing at least 8-9 girls hockey teams in attendance. All of them dressed in their team uniforms wearing them proudly....bodes well for the future of women's hockey in Canada.... :D

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:05 am

Here are a couple of links.....

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/66878/la_id/1.htm

And for those of you who live in northern Alberta...they're playing a few more games....

Quote:
Canada continues its tour of northern Alberta on Wednesday night, taking on the Edmonton K of C Pats at Clareview Arena (7:45 p.m. MT) before wrapping up its trip on Thursday at the Strathmore Family Centre when it faces the UFA Bisons (6:45 p.m. MT).

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:28 am

QBC wrote:
BTW, best part of the game...seeing at least 8-9 girls hockey teams in attendance. All of them dressed in their team uniforms wearing them proudly....bodes well for the future of women's hockey in Canada.... :D

And I bet you still have a ringing in your ears this morning from their high pitched endless cheering (screaming). I can only handle a couple of periods of that too. :lol:

It'll be tough for those boys to face their buds at school today, just like the Red Deer boys a couple of weeks ago.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:39 am

I like how the woman's team generates so much interest and pride in Canada.
Seems like we take the men's team for granted and the only time it sparks as much interest is when they lose.

For me, it's the difference between cheering for a team that plays for the love of the game and truly is there to represent the country and cheering for a bunch of millionaires.

Same for basketball. I never watch NBA games but try not to miss any college game when March Madness comes along. :D

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:15 pm

The girls teams were very well behaved, like I said, they wore their jerseys with pride and dignity. (The cheering was a amusing to say the least... :lol: )

The women's game generates pride in Canadians for exactly that reason..they play for the love of the game, pride in their nation and to uphold that hockey is Canada's game..period. Even though last nights game was just a warm up for the Olympics, they played hard and looked at it as just that, get ready to try for the gold in Vancouver.