canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:57 pm

Awesome! In some ways, I agree with Cherry (that European players use their sticks more and avoid the tough game), but I have to say that I enjoy the skill they bring to the game. Watching guys like Bure or Selanne or Ovechkin makes up in a lot of ways for the BS game they play.

If Cherry had his way, games would all be dump and chase with some big body checks. I think most of us had enough of that crap in the mid-90s when New Jersey was winning all the time.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Strangely enough, there's a mirror argument going on overseas! Until returning recently, I spent the last 4 years living in the Czech Republic, where they are bemoaning the lacklustre performances and slow ticket sales of their National League games due to all of the superstars playing abroad either in North America, or in Jagr's recent case, in Russia.
It would be interesting to see the NHL put into effect the recent decision in professional European soccer (help me, I had to watch it overseas... :-S ) that is aimed at maintaining a national identity to football clubs seemingly overpopulated with foreigners by limiting the amount of foreign players and giving home-growns more of a chance to play for their teams.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:16 pm

i have successfully resisted football.. mostly cause its crap quality
here anyway :)

I dont if any NHL teams are seriously 'foreigned', and it would create
problems in the States for all the US players they would need.

Dont forget, about half the NHL players are Canadian, and we have only 6 teams.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:18 pm

bootlegga wrote:
Awesome!

If Cherry had his way, games would all be dump and chase with some big body checks. I think most of us had enough of that crap in the mid-90s when New Jersey was winning all the time.

Absolutely.........not to mention the water skiing and muggings!!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:35 pm

martin14 wrote:
i have successfully resisted football.. mostly cause its crap quality
here anyway :)

I dont if any NHL teams are seriously 'foreigned', and it would create
problems in the States for all the US players they would need.

Dont forget, about half the NHL players are Canadian, and we have only 6 teams.

I see what you mean, I misspoke before; I would make the case for North American vs. European players in that case...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Is the USA second for the country that has the most players in the NHL... Note I said country not continent... Mexico even has a national hockey in the IIHF...

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countries/mexico.html

Hockey is exploding in the south...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:13 pm

stemmer wrote:
Is the USA second for the country that has the most players in the NHL... Note I said country not continent... Mexico even has a national hockey in the IIHF...

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countries/mexico.html

Hockey is exploding in the south...

I would imagine so... without any statistical data in front of me I'd say it's Canada-USA-Russia/Sweden-Czech Rep.-other (Slovakia, Germany, etc)
could be wrong... but it seems likely

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:08 pm

Ovechkin speaks out;

Quote:
“He’s a funny guy and old guy. He likes old-fashioned hockey,” Ovechkin said Sunday after scoring his NHL-high 46th goal in Washington’s 6-2 loss to Florida.

“He’s not interesting to me, so he can say whatever he wants. I don’t care about him,” Ovechkin said.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl ... &type=lgns

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:26 am

Cherry is a moron. If it was up to him, we would all be watching guys like, Mike Glumac, Jason Krog and a line up of really great AHL players. Doesn't anyone think skill is exciting anymore? I like watching fights, but to see a clean hit because a guy is skating around with his head in is ass looking at the puck, end up in a fight is outragous. The staged fights are bullshit too. I like watching them, but I find it really funny that in the playoffs when there is very little chance of a fight because the guys that cannot play aren't on the ice, every area is full. Really strange how that happens. Also, someone must remind me the last time a fight won a hockey game. I think you have to score goals to win, don't you?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:15 pm

The correlation you're trying to make about less fighting in the playoffs vs during the regular season and how the arena attendance is increased is not due to fighting but because it's the playoffs and no matter where you are, or which team you're watching, people want to see their team do well in the playoffs because of it's ultimate prize. Nothing what-so-ever to do with less fighting.

As to you're comments regarding Krog or Glumac, who are career minor leaguers, I have no clue as to what that has to do with what Cherry was saying. I don't necessarily think Cherry was completely dismissing skill, but he also enjoys the fighting part of the game, the code per se. I don't think anyone will say that a game is won because of a fight, but fights can and do influence the outcome of a game, good or bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:48 am

If anyone knows what they are talking about it would be mister Don Cherry