canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:27 pm

Oilers vs Jets from beautiful downtown Winnipeg Manitoba.

Looks like a good stream tonight. Hasn't crashed yet anyways, but no McDavid either.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/m_home.htm

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:25 pm

The 5 and 0 Oilers' after a 3-0 win over the Wild, Nilison for the shutout, learning how to win.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Edmonton Oilers have a 25% chance of winning Stanley Cup from 2016-21, predicts McIndoe

The Edmonton Oilers are the seventh most likely team to win the Stanley Cup in the next five seasons

This latest dose of Oilers optimism comes from noteworthy hockey humourist Down Goes Brown, who also writes serious hockey pieces under his real name, Sean McIndoe, at the Grantland site.

In this case, McIndoe has estimated the percentage chance of each NHL team winning the Stanley Cup from 2016 to 2011. He divvies up the 500 percentage points (100 percentage points for each of five seasons) between the 30 teams, concluding that Edmonton has a 25 per cent chance of winning one Cup in those five years.

Ahead of Edmonton are Tampa, 45 per cent, Anaheim, 35 per cent, Chicago, 33 per cent, the New York Islanders, 29 per cent, Buffalo, 28 per cent, and Washington, 26 per cent. At the bottom of the heap is New Jersey, 1 per cent, Carolina, 2 per cent, Vancouver, 2 per cent, Florida, 3 per cent, and the Toronto Maple Leafs, 4 per cent.

McIndoe’s take on the Oilers: “The history of generational franchise players says it probably will — but it also says that it could take longer than you’d think. The Penguins took four years to win a Cup with Crosby (and Evgeni Malkin), and seven with Mario Lemieux. The Gretzky-era Oilers needed five years to win a title. Steve Yzerman needed a mind-boggling 14 seasons to get his ring. And, of course, the Cup never arrived for one heavily hyped franchise player, Eric Lindros, and hasn’t so far for another, Alexander Ovechkin. There’s simply no precedent in NHL history for a superstar rookie arriving and turning his team into a contender overnight. (And that assumes that McDavid really will be a Crosby-like franchise player, which seems like a safe enough bet but is no sure thing.)”

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:39 pm

Late in the first period Ebs was skated into the boards and then left the ice immediately, one of those plays that cause a dislocated shoulder, all though no injury report has been released. But hes done for the night.

End of 2 with Lander scoring a couple.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Oilers forward Jordan Eberle out 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury

EDMONTON - The Edmonton Oilers announced Wednesday that forward Jordan Eberle will miss four to six weeks with a shoulder injury.

Eberle left Tuesday night's game against Arizona in the first period following a collision against the wall behind the Coyotes net.

He did not return.

"I went to the bench because I knew something was wrong right away," Eberle said Wednesday at the Oilers' skate. "Better to happen now than later in the season."

Eberle, 25, was the Oilers' top scorer last season with 63 points(24 goals, 39 assists) in 81 games .

The Oilers begin their season Oct. 8 in St. Louis.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks for coming out Teddy, but I think your going to visit California.

Slepyshev making the most of first pre-season in North America

Oilers prospect Anton Slepyshev has performed well in training camp and the pre-season, opening some eyes in the organization

Entering Oilers Rookie Camp, almost all eyes were on 2015 first-overall pick Connor McDavid, as well as fellow recent high picks Darnell Nurse and Leon Draisaitl. However, there was another name on the roster that stuck out. A relatively unknown, but promising prospect in the Oilers system making his camp debut was Anton Slepyshev.
Photo by Andy Devlin

The 21-year-old Russian winger had yet to play in North America and the Oilers were eager to get an up-close look at the young man they chose 88th overall back in 2013.

“This is the first time I’ve seen him,” Oilers Director of Player Personnel Bob Green said at the Young Stars Tournament in Penticton, B.C. “He’s pretty exciting. He’s got all the skills that you would expect a Russian to have. He can really skate, handle the puck and shoot so it’s going to be really fun watching him play.”

Fast forward a couple of weeks to the NHL pre-season and Slepyshev has moved from unknown to the spotlight.

Slepyshev was given a chance to play with a pair of highly talented forwards on Saturday night in Saskatoon, skating on the wing with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, arguably the Oilers most effective trio in the team’s 3-0 win over Minnesota.

“I liked what I saw from that group,” Oilers Head Coach Todd McLellan said after the game. “I think Slepyshev is getting better night after night. He’s really starting to open our eyes up to what he’s capable of doing. Leon, on his backhand on the right side, I think if he’s going to play wing that may be the best place for him. As we move forward, we’ll continue to experiment a little bit but they were our most dangerous line tonight.”

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:55 am

It looks like Andres Nilsson has been given the back up goalie spot for the Oilers after Benny Scrivens was placed on waivers today.

Nilsson did not allow a goal on the 53 shots he faced in per season games this year.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:42 am

Not a popular choice with Oiler fans, they played him at both wings, centre ice, different guys every night and still gets a goal and 4 points, and then the GM comes out today and admits he out played a couple of players that will start Thursday night in St. Louis. Obviously testing his give a f**ks

Attachment:
dri.jpg
dri.jpg [ 49.41 KiB | Viewed 503 times ]

Oilers send Draisaitl to the AHL; roster moves complete

The Oilers needed to make one final roster move to get down to the required 23-man limit this morning.

A solid showing in training camp wasn’t enough for Leon Draisaitl to stay with the main roster, Draisaitl has been assigned to the Bakersfield Condors of the American Hockey League.

In six pre-season games Draisaitl recorded one goal and three assists for four points.

Two players will start the season on the injured reserve list. Winger Jordan Eberle and defenseman Dillon Simpson are both out with with shoulder injuries.

The Oilers open the regular season on Thursday on the road against the St. Louis Blues.

630 CHED will have the Face-off Show at 4:30pm, the opening face-off in St. Louis will at 6pm.

Last edited by Alta_redneck on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:04 pm

Edmonton Oilers announce final roster

# Name Height Weight

14 Jordan Eberle 5' 11" 183

20 Luke Gazdic 6' 4" 233

4 Taylor Hall 6' 1" 198

23 Matt Hendricks 6' 0" 211

12 Rob Klinkhammer 6' 3" 214

28 Lauri Korpikoski 6' 1" 205

51 Anton Lander 6' 0" 186

55 Mark Letestu 5' 10" 199

97 Connor McDavid 6' 1" 195

93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 6' 0" 190

67 Benoit Pouliot 6' 3" 193

16 Teddy Purcell 6' 2" 198

42 Anton Slepyshev 6' 2" 194

10 Nail Yakupov 5' 11" 197

Defence

88 Brandon Davidson 6' 2" 214

5 Mark Fayne 6' 3" 215

21 Andrew Ference 5' 11" 184

62 Eric Gryba 6' 4" 225

77 Oscar Klefbom 6' 3" 210

8 Griffin Reinhart 6' 4" 217

19 Justin Schultz 6' 2" 196

2 Andrej Sekera 6' 0" 201

79 Dillon Simpson 6' 1" 194

Goal
39 Anders Nilsson 6' 5" 227

33 Cam Talbot 6' 3" 197

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:21 am

Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli's moves reducing predecessor Craig MacTavish's mark on roster

It was a freeze-frame perfect for the occasion.

Edmonton Oilers’ new GM Peter Chiarelli sat in the stands with owner Daryl Katz and former GM Craig MacTavish watching the first practice of the new season.

Chiarelli’s moves to get down to the 23-man roster resulted in it costing Katz more than $10-million worth of players to be either in the minors or in the press box.

And most of the players Chiarelli shipped out were not only those three, but several others that MacTavish and Scott Howson had brought to town.

Chiarelli proved he has huge gonads by informing the owner that he’d be paying $4.5 million and $2.3 million more to send Nikita Nikitin and Ben Scrivens to Bakersfield and $3.25 million more to pay Andrew Ference to play ‘Press Box’ or ‘End of the Bench.’

And he’s paying Dallas Eakins to coach another team’s outfit in the AHL.

“It is something I mentioned to Daryl and Bob Nicholson. But I felt strongly about it and the support was there,” said Chiarelli of the banishments.

“With Nikitin, I felt he wasn’t in the top eight,” he said of the much-maligned defenceman Howson had as GM in Columbus and convinced McTavish to pay $9 million over two years to bring here.

“Nikitin’s game isn’t where it should be. He’ll get that chance in the minors.”

Scrivens, the Spruce Grove product who failed miserably last year with a .890 save percentage, won’t likely be back although he’s considered an NHL-quality backup.

“I think Ben will be somewhere else at some point,” said Chiarelli of being able to do a deal a couple dozen games into the season.

MacTavish gave Sherwood Park product Ference $13 million over four years with a no movement clause. He’s had a solid career but clearly he’s at the end of it and will almost certainly be bought out at the end of the season.

Being that Ference has a no-movement clause, the Oilers are stuck with him. It doesn’t make any sense to have somebody wearing a ‘C’ in the press box, so expect it to be announced at the moment of least impact, maybe an hour before Ference watches Connor McDavid play his first game, that the Oilers will go with only assistant captains this year.

“I don’t have anything to report on that. You’ll probably hear something from Todd McLelan or myself tomorrow or the next day. He’s not going to play the same role he did on the ice that he did last year. I’ve had discussions with Andrew. He’s comfortable with playing that role.”

Nikitin. Scrivens. Acton. Fasth. Aulie. Hunt. Joensuu. Pinizzatto. Fraser. That list tells you the extent the Oilers are better this year.

Obviously it wasn’t lost on Chiarelli that the other guy he was sitting with in the stands with Katz and his son there yesterday, MacTavish, had just watched him ship out almost all his guys.

When your correspondent asked Chiarelli if that was awkward or uncomfortable, he said no.

“You just have to be blunt in your assessment. Those two guys are professionals. They knew with a new guy coming in, there were going to be changes. They’ve been good. They see the snapshot that I see.”

The Oilers were down to just one remaining move to make yesterday and didn’t try to hit for the cycle by sending Ted Purcell and his $4.5 million salary down, too.

Instead they decided that young misery deserved company and sent 2014 No. 3 overall pick Leon Draisailtl down to join Darnell Nurse.

It looks like the Oilers have adopted a new rule: Any 19-Year-Old Players Not Named Connor McDavid Must Begin Their Pro Career In The AHL. I’m good with that.

“We made some tough decisions and some decisions that were the best for the medium term and longterm interests of the organization,” Chiarelli said of the final cut, Draisaitl, joining Nurse in Bakersfield.

“When those two guys are back up on our team you’re going to see two terrific players,” he said.

“I don’t know how much Leon heard, but what we told him was ‘When we call you up, we want you to stay here for good. Offensively you can play in the NHL right now. So you’ve got to work on the 200-foot game.’

“He’ll predominantly play centre down there. He now has another asset to his games because he can play both wings. He was upset. But I think at the end of the day he’ll realize it was the right move. When that day will be I’m not sure,” said Chiarelli.

“We want him to have a long, healthy Edmonton Oilers career. Instead of 12 days, we wanted to have 12 years for Leon,” said McLellan.

Can’t see either Draisaitl or Nurse down in the New Year. It also gives Chiarelli time to do some deals to make room for them that won’t cost Katz any more money. But a couple more McTavish players might have to go.

Follow me on Twitter.com/sunterryjones

terry.jones@sunmedia.ca

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Hall is not playing McDavid tonight, I like the move. Oilers GM could be the man that traded both Taylor and Tyler. :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Alta_redneck wrote:
Hall is not playing McDavid tonight, I like the move. Oilers GM could be the man that traded both Taylor and Tyler. :lol:
Man, lack of scoring, 31 shots and no goals. Preds win 2 - 0

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:07 pm

It'll be interesting to see how the new coach makes out with all the kids.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:17 pm

wildrosegirl wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how the new coach makes out with all the kids.

Well, at least he's trying to mix things up a bit, but why does a team like that have trouble scoring.

It's mind boggling :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:33 pm

BLOG: Oilers support Jays on day off in Dallas
Monday, 10.12.2015 / 2:49 PM MT
By Chris Wescott - edmontonoilers.com / Inside the Oilers
Comment Print E-mail
Sunday was a CBA-required day off for the Oilers and the players used it to their advantage, enjoying a beautiful day in Dallas while taking in some professional sporting events.

A group of players went to either one or both of the NFL game between the New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys and the MLB playoff game between the Toronto Blue Jays and Texas Rangers. Several Oilers players are Blue Jays fans and had the opportunity to support Canada’s baseball team as they beat the Rangers 5-1 to stay alive in their series.

“It was fun. It was a good day,” said Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. “It was my first NFL game, which is really cool. It was good to experience that and I’ve always been a fan of the Jays. It worked out perfectly timing wise, it’s just across the street. It was a great game and a lot of fun