Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Is vigilante justice necessary in hockey?
Yes  52%  [ 11 ]
Only sometimes  29%  [ 6 ]
Never  19%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 21

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:21 pm

This has been a sore subject of mine for a while now, therefore, I've decided to write a short commentary on the subject. Feel free to add you thoughts.

We've all heard the stereotypes commonly associated with hockey: "barbaric", "boxing on ice", "long on blood, short on teeth." And of course there's the always-popular saying, "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out."

Fighting in hockey is not for entertainment purposes only. Many casual fans and anti-fighting activists don't understand that there is a method to the madness.

For the most part, fighters are in the league to "protect the skill players" — pugilists serve to keep the peace. Mind you, with the "new" NHL they've eliminated the role of the "goon", but fighting will never leave the game.

In the 1980s the Gretzky Era hit its stride, and so did fisticuffs. We all know "The Great One" was immensely talented, but at 6'0" and 185 pounds, was also an easy target for bigger, stronger players. His impressive numbers with Edmonton in the 1980s would have been unlikely if not for the protection of less-heralded tough guys like Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley.

Right or wrong, alot coaches would risk having one of their less-talented players take a penalty and a game misconduct to take a run at the other team's star, if it meant knocking the star from the game.

In a perfect world (which is supposedly the "new" NHL), referees would catch all the cheap shots and flagrant fouls, and vigilante justice wouldn't be as necessary. The stark reality is that they can't possibly catch everything. Even if they did, it wouldn't completely put a halt to foul play.

Today, fighting has diminished partly because of the newly implemented instigator rule, which awards an additional two-minute penalty to any player who starts a fight. Two in one game is grounds for ejection. Players are less likely to drop the gloves if it will cause their team to play shorthanded, especially in the all-important playoffs.

Some believe the allowance of fighting in the NHL is strictly financial, and that if fighting were abolished, fans would find the sport less interesting, and ratings would decrease. Well, they're right.

What's your opinion? Take the poll.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:25 pm

Fighting in hockey is the reason why canada is a peacefull country to live in. We release some of our negative, aggressive energy's on the ice after a game of hockey instead of releasing those energy's on each other in society. If the NHL turned their rules to no fighting, our minor system's would change too. So it's crucial, that fighting stays in the NHL. [boxing]

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:00 pm

Fighting is necessary to the game. it's going down and will never be as popular as it was back in the good ol' days of hockey, but it's still important.

and the instigator rule is the worse rule ever put into hockey, ever!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:27 am

This is a Canadian website right? I think I just saw a tumbleweed roll by....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:35 pm

If they ever get rid of fighting in the NHL, then hockey in the NHL will morph into figure skating with shoulder pads! 8O

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:55 pm

if fighting leaves the nhl ill just watch junior hockey

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:10 pm

Fighting is an integral part of hockey. You get rid of fighting, you might as well stop the game being played altogether!!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:31 pm

What is so great about fighting or hitting anymore? They all wear pads and helmets now. The most I have usually seen is they barley get their gloves off and maybe get a couple punches holding each other. Before there were no pads or helmets when you were checked into the boards you felt it. When they had a fight the gloves would be right off and they would actually fight. But I don't watch hockey for that sure it’s exciting but the real beauty of the game is in the plays and the skills of the players. Without that the game is boring to me and you might as well turn it into a boxing match.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:38 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
What is so great about fighting or hitting anymore? They all wear pads and helmets now. The most I have usually seen is they barley get their gloves off and maybe get a couple punches holding each other. Before there were no pads or helmets when you were checked into the boards you felt it. When they had a fight the gloves would be right off and they would actually fight. But I don't watch hockey for that sure it’s exciting but the real beauty of the game is in the plays and the skills of the players. Without that the game is boring to me and you might as well turn it into a boxing match.

This is what's great about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOu0mhVp_EY

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:40 pm

Okay look over the past 10 years ever since the Instigator rule kicked it.. use of the stick fouls are way up- hooking, tripping, high sticking, slashing, butt ending, spearing cross checking.. and why.. cuase the guy doing the stick fouls knows he doesn't have to pay the piper.. Guys like niemenen and Ruutu.. are being regarded as "toughness".. big stupid ass grin on thier faces that I would love to see whiped across thier face. You start something drop the gloves be a sport.. be a man.

Let the players police themselves.
Tony Twist used to always say.... lets say I'm playing your team and you have some motor mouth that won't shut up who runs round the ice all cocky and Arrogant. If i'm on this club as much as i want to go out there and put the "HURT" on him real bad...

I don't .. I go onto the ice the next shit and I crank your team's superstar... at the face off I line up along side him and say "Do you want this to continue all night or do you want so and so to shut up. Cuase I can guarantee you that won't be the last time I hit you today.... usually the superstar goes back to the bench after the second or the third time.. and says to the idiot... okay enough...

Thats how we have to do things now with the instigator rule in place. Before the instigator rule... you'd find him on the ice, drop the gloves and you'd drop him to the ice... and then 3 shift later after the penalty you'd take on thier heavy weight as well.

A lot of guys hated stepping to the bar to protect.."Lil motor mouth" but he's your teammate.. so you'd go have a little tussle and it's all over.
Now it's stick stick stick all the time.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:45 pm

$1:

Not really most of those are cheap shots. A game should have some honour and dignity not some coward’s code of conduct.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:49 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

Not really most of those are cheap shots. A game should have some honour and dignity not some coward’s code of conduct.

Maybe you'd prefer this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlcm61vGGpc

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:52 pm

I think the league should be the enforcement and not the players. It's fun to see a couple fighters go at it but I no longer hope to see a fight when I watch a hockey game, they all end the same...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:54 pm

$1:

I have nothing against proper fighting or checking but I'm not going to cheer on twats.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:28 pm

$1:
Thats the old rugby/football agrument all over again.....Ive played em BOTH (along with hockey) and believe me I didnt feel HALF as invicible stepping on a rugby field as I did the grid iron...Ergo (yeah i used that word) you have a lot more weapons at your disposal; you can hurt a man a lot more if YOURE not worried about breakin in two.

The players in the NHL these days are bigger faster and stronger and if you dont think they "feel" gettin hit into the boards maybe I can arrange a little meeting between you and Mr. Phaneuf... Hockey Body Check

As for fighting its an intregral part of the game - look how much stick infractions have risen since the 'instigator" rule came into play.

Take away one avenue to relieve their aggression and they'll just find another.

Have you seen the old hockey games? Sure maybe the players were not as big but they still hit each other pretty hard. A lot more were missing teeth and were far more battered than today's players. What did the goalie have a baseball glove? Also when they had a fight they actually fought it didn't last 10 seconds.

But I don't believe in having 10 power plays for one team is good for the game either. I just want to see some good old hockey where the players actually play for something not just play to fill their wallets. Why can't they play a good game and not some cheap crap game of dirty hits and tripping?