canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Yep, money. We will see Jerry Bruckheimer get a team in Vegas before we every see a team in Halifax or Winnipeg. The owners are not going to let new upstarts in without serious coin and they need to kiss the ring.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:00 am

Saskatoon's Credit union centre can only hold 16,000 people. It needs renovations if it's going to host the NHL. We have over 250000 people here now anyway. The rink should be renovated regardless. I think Saskatoon could easily host an NHL team however. I know I'd be buying season tickets.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:38 am

I wonder if Bettman still uses a BlackBerry? :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:48 am

The prospect of actually getting to see Shane Doan playing in the east is to good to be true. I hear Gretz said that if the team moved to Canada, he would not be coming. Fuck him

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:56 am

Scape wrote:
Yep, money. We will see Jerry Bruckheimer get a team in Vegas before we every see a team in Halifax or Winnipeg. The owners are not going to let new upstarts in without serious coin and they need to kiss the ring.

That would be my bet too.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:57 am

:D

Attachments:
donato400.jpg
donato400.jpg [ 40.91 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:17 am

Halifax couldn't even support AHL teams (Voyagers, Oilers & Citadels).... The only good AHL years were the first few years of the Voyagers...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:46 am

Anyone watch after 40 Minutes on HNIC last night...??? All were in agreement TO-Hamilton area should get a franchise but they seemed to agree Balsillie is going about it the wrong way... They seem to feel that Balsillie thinks because he is a billionaire he can bully or buy anything he wants... IF he wins the court case this will allow owners to move their teams whenever they want to...

Remember a few years ago Bettman & owners stopped the possible relocation of the Oilers from Edmonton to Houston...

Al Strachan once again said the Coyotes will be profitable in Phoenix in two years time...

After 40 Minutes was one of the more entertaining ones and Milbury & Strachan actually agreed for a change... :-)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Why Hamilton?

The arena is a dump, and the area is general is a dump. The arena alone will need 100+ million just to renovate the damn thing.

I just don't have confidence that Hamilton, it's citizens and corporate partners would be strong enough to make it viable.

Another team in the GTA makes a hell of a lot more sense, IMO.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:13 pm

What other Canadian city other then Hamilton or Winnipeg would be worthy of an NHL team especially with Las Vegas, Seattle, Potland, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Kansas City, Houston, Birmingham, possibly Hartford, Cincinatti and San Diego waiting in the wings... Don't laugh San Diego has had pro hockey since the 1960's and had one of the first black players in pro hockey Willie O'Ree...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_O%27Ree

I think we are more likely to see a second NHL team in TO then in Hamilton, Winnipeg or Quebec City.... Halifax will never get a NHL team and would never support one... CFL is Halifax's best chance at pro sports... And as an Haligonian I'd love to see a NHL team here but realize it would never work after the first few years...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:35 pm

During the Pens-Canes game #2 tonite on TSN it was reported Shane Doan has a no move contract.

Apparently Doan has stated he will not leave Phoenix as he has owns a ranch in Phoenix where he raises horses... It is rumoured he may ask the NHLPA to step in if Baslillie wins & moves the Coyotes to Hamilton....

Interesting times a head...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:38 pm

stemmer wrote:
During the Pens-Canes game #2 tonite on TSN it was reported Shane Doan has a no move contract.

Apparently Doan has stated he will not leave Phoenix as he has owns a ranch in Phoenix where he raises horses... It is rumoured he may ask the NHLPA to step in if Baslillie wins & moves the Coyotes to Hamilton....

Interesting times a head...

Plenty of Shane Doan's out there.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Scape wrote:
I heard he offered Wayne a 10% steak and will name the new rink after his dad.

You can make the steak look bigger if you have gravy. :D

Bettman won't allow another Canadian team.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:44 pm

PluggyRug wrote:
Scape wrote:
I heard he offered Wayne a 10% steak and will name the new rink after his dad.

You can make the steak look bigger if you have gravy. :D

Bettman won't allow another Canadian team.

But it's not Bettman's decision. It's the Board of Governors... AND if they disapprove of Bettman's actions he will be fired.... It's their money (NHL owner's) that is at risk not Bettman's...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:47 pm

stemmer wrote:

But it's not Bettman's decision. It's the Board of Governors... AND if they disapprove of Bettman's actions he will be fired.... It's their money (NHL owner's) that is at risk not Bettman's...

True, but he carries a lot of influence.