bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:26 pm

link

$1:
Ron MacLean has spent years acting as a referee for Don Cherry on Coach's Corner.

The longtime Hockey Night in Canada host will turn in his microphone for a striped shirt and a whistle Friday night, when he referees the second period of the NHL exhibition game between the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins at Mellon Arena.

Ron MacLean will get to referee one period of an NHL exhibition game.
(J.P. Moczulski/Canadian Press)
MacLean will be paired with Stephen Walkom, a former referee and now the the NHL's senior vice-president and director of officiating.

CBC will film MacLean's adventure and show it as a feature during its season-opening broadcast Thursday.

"I have been working on my backward skating," MacLean, a Level 5 referee with the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association, said during a conference call Thursday.

"With a solo referee system, the one I worked in for 23 years, you skated pretty well forward for the whole time. In the two-man system, a lot of it is backward skating.

"With [Sidney] Crosby coming down on you or Daniel Briere ... it's a real challenge for the back official to get the hell out of the way."

MacLean was outspoken at times last year over his opposition to the NHL's crackdown on obstruction.

While interviewing Colin Campbell during the second intermission of Game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals, MacLean took the NHL's director of hockey operations to task for some of the calls and lack of calls during the playoffs.

MacLean said Campbell and John Shannon, the NHL's vice-president of broadcasting, approached him with the idea of taking his opinions on the ice.

"It was an idea to get me involved, to have a dialogue with the referees," he said.

Training camp for refs

MacLean attended the NHL officials training camp at Fort Erie, Ont., where he met with league referees.

"When I went into the first session and just kind of identified what my purpose was, the guys were right there with questions," he said. "It was a great exchange.

"That will be part of the feature, explaining my views on things."

MacLean said working with the referees gave him a better appreciation of how they see the game.

"I always used to have a problem when the referee out at centre ice makes a call," he said.

Now MacLean understands "that [back] guy has an easier time of seeing things because the game is moving a little slower and he has a wider scope.

"It is often the guy down at the end who misses the most obvious things right in front of him," he said. "That was a neat little insight for me that will be valuable in my critiquing."

MacLean said he will scale back some of his criticism of the new rules.

"I will never say I'll never mention it again," he said. "If it were a matter of principle, I would continue to harp on it.

"When it is a matter of taste, it's foolhardy to continue to beat it to death."

A good Canadian kid. :wink:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:37 pm

Why not a Canadian hockey game? Not that it really matters, but still...

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:08 pm

I've seen him ref...............maybe goal judge is better for him.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:36 pm

lol Lets hope he doesnt venture on these forums :P

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:17 am

Ron is a level 5 official.. has all the proper criteria.. and he did a hell of a job out there....

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:50 am

I thought to get up into the pro league levels you need a level 6 ??

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:19 pm

A really good idea. He's made many a comment on reffing and it's new rules so why not put his money where his mouth is? I saw the bit where they showed him reffing, but I wonder if it really changed his mind on certain calls or not.

Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:53 pm

im pretty sure ron was a linesman before he was working on HNIC. he did a pretty good job, although he called a lot of penalties. but i guess thats how they do it nowadays and besides thats another topic entirely.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:39 am

WTF?!?!?

Just as I leave Pittsburgh they put on a game worth watching!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:33 pm

I think that would of been a game worth seeing. Yea, you actually need your level 6 to work a NHL game, but its just exhibition.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:41 am

Alexander_Keith Alexander_Keith:
im pretty sure ron was a linesman before he was working on HNIC. he did a pretty good job, although he called a lot of penalties. but i guess thats how they do it nowadays and besides thats another topic entirely.

WTF? He called 1 penalty in the third.....I don't consider 1 alot.