Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8533
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:56 pm
 


stemmer wrote:
hurley_108 wrote:
Brazil!??!

Interesting that there are way more than twice as many Canadian players as there are American, but four times as many American teams...


so what Canadian cities do you sincerely believe would/could support a NHL team? OR would you rather hi-jack any thread as an excuse to post anti-American crap?


Anti-American? Where do you get that? It's a straightfoward observation that there are more Canadian players, but more American teams. I've got my own theories as to why this is so, but I was curious as to what yours are. Here are mine:

There are more american temas but more canadian players because there's more money in the US than there is in Canada, partially because of the population, but partially just because it's a richer country. It's a lot easier to convince someone to part with $50 to go watch a game they're unfamiliar with than it is to convince someone to spend a lifetime dedicating themselves to a sport they're unfamiliar with. Candians play hockey. Americans play baseball, football, and basketball. Nothing anti-American in that, it's just a difference in culture.

You're the one high-jacking by making wild accusations. I'm honestly trying to make topical conversation about the reasons behind the nationalities represented in the NHL.





PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:32 pm
 


hurley_108 wrote:
stemmer wrote:
hurley_108 wrote:
Brazil!??!

Interesting that there are way more than twice as many Canadian players as there are American, but four times as many American teams...


so what Canadian cities do you sincerely believe would/could support a NHL team? OR would you rather hi-jack any thread as an excuse to post anti-American crap?


Anti-American? Where do you get that? It's a straightfoward observation that there are more Canadian players, but more American teams. I've got my own theories as to why this is so, but I was curious as to what yours are. Here are mine:

There are more american temas but more canadian players because there's more money in the US than there is in Canada, partially because of the population, but partially just because it's a richer country. It's a lot easier to convince someone to part with $50 to go watch a game they're unfamiliar with than it is to convince someone to spend a lifetime dedicating themselves to a sport they're unfamiliar with. Candians play hockey. Americans play baseball, football, and basketball. Nothing anti-American in that, it's just a difference in culture.

You're the one high-jacking by making wild accusations. I'm honestly trying to make topical conversation about the reasons behind the nationalities represented in the NHL.



I agree with you 100% on this post..
however you also said

"Ten times the cash, maybe, but only a twentieth the heart and soul, apparently, as out of ten times the population they can only scrounge up half as many players."


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8533
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:35 pm
 


mtbr wrote:
I agree with you 100% on this post..
however you also said

"Ten times the cash, maybe, but only a twentieth the heart and soul, apparently, as out of ten times the population they can only scrounge up half as many players."


Well, yea, for the game of Hockey. They devote their hearts and souls to other sports.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3895
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:39 pm
 


Tell that to Jeremy Roenick, Mike Madano, Chris Chellios, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Francis Bullion, Francis Bouillon to name a few US players have no heart?

Pat Lafontaine had one of the biggest hearts when it came to hockey...!!!!

US is second only to Canada for hockey involvement. The US's numbers will continue to increase...Ours remain stagnant...

Now please name Canadian cities that could/would support NHL hockey?

Ottawa was the only Canadian city to show any interest in getting an expansion franchise....


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:52 pm
 


stemmer wrote:
The Canadian birth rate is stagnant. Most immigrants coming to Canada do not come to Canada because they like hockey.

No, I'm sure immigrants come to this country to have a better life, not because of a particular preference for a sport...right?
Quote:
Most immigrants coming to Canada prefer soccer or baseball over hockey. Sad but true.

That's nice. Their preference of sports doesn't have anything to do with this.
Quote:
Minor hockey registration in Nova Scotia has been decreasing slightly. While minor league soccer and little league baseball have been increasing.

Besides Sid the Kid, Nova Scotia doesn't produce many other notable hockey players anyways.....(no offense to any Scotians here).
Quote:
Also dispposbale income among the middle class has been decreasing. Which is more cost efficient for an average sized family, enroll your child into soccer or hockey?

Umm what? This isn't a debate on Karl Marx's theorems on sports and the missing middle class but the nationalities in Hockey.


Last edited by Tman1 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:58 pm
 


Damn, and I added a classy zinger too. Anyways, I knew what he meant but merely wondering the relevance that has on this issue.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3895
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:09 am
 


Minor hockey enrollment in Nova Scotia has been declining. Most of the rink time is being used for old timers rec hockey and gentleman leagues! I hear the same is true for other provinces.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3895
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:02 pm
 


Still waiting for that list of Canadian cities that could support NHL hockey....


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:39 pm
 


stemmer wrote:
Minor hockey enrollment in Nova Scotia has been declining. Most of the rink time is being used for old timers rec hockey and gentleman leagues! I hear the same is true for other provinces.

Sorry, you're wrong.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9956
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:40 pm
 


stemmer wrote:
Still waiting for that list of Canadian cities that could support NHL hockey....

Nobody cares and that isn't the issue here.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Previous  1  2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.