bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:22 am

http://www.allancup.ca/

This is one of Canada's oldest hockey championships.

Quote:
The Allan Cup is the trophy awarded to the national senior amateur men’s ice hockey champions of Canada. The trophy was donated in 1908 by Sir H. Montagu Allan as a trophy for amateur teams, to replace the Stanley Cup, whose tournament had become a professional competition.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Just to inform the people I asked on how long of a drive it is up there, apparently it takes 2 days. :lol:

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:39 am

Those people didn't realize, when quoting driving time, that you'd be travelling via southern Alberta horse and buggy! :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:49 am

For the number of coolers that were thought to be needed for the trip, I’m thinking probably a chuckwagon. They figured Valleyview was a nice place to set up camp for the first night. :D

One of the clowns from the traveling road show won a chance to try the TSN type shoot out yesterday afternoon for $20K. With no practice he shot to fast and only got 8 out of 16 pucks in the net and had 2 seconds left on the clock. I guess not bad for a goalie, it was taped so they might show it during the final Sunday.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:53 am

Quote:
Generals march back to Allan Cup final

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The Bentley Generals are going back to the promised land.

After mounting a third-period comeback to beat the Dundas Real McCoys 4-2 in the semifinal, the Generals will get the opportunity to defend their Allan Cup championship in the final against the host Fort St. John Flyers today at 3 p.m. MDT (TSN).

“It’s right where we want to be, it wasn’t easy to get there and now we have a big game tomorrow ahead of us,“ said Generals assistant coach Jason Lenz.

The Generals actually trailed 2-1 heading into the second intermission where things turned around for the Generals.

“We just had a good talk between periods as coaches and we knew there was more gas in the tank,” said Lenz, noting they were rolling all four lines while the McCoys had shortened their bench to three. “You think your tired . . but it’s more in your head than it is in your legs. The guys realized that. The team we played against, they were just as much out of gas as we were but our guys just dug down deep and found a way to get ‘er done.”

Don Morrison kick started things on the power play at 3:56 of the third period and then big Kurt Bensmiller completed the comeback at 16:12. Brandin Cote put the game on ice with an empty netter at 19:31.

The Generals never did panic, falling back on their vast experience to dig themselves out of their hole.

“You’ve got to learn how to win and at the same time you have to remember how it feels to lose and this team’s been through that,” said Lenz. “Over the course of the last two or three years this team has been down a lot heading into the third period and we just found a way to dig down deep and found a way to win.”

The Generals Travis Brigley opened the scoring at 7:18 of the first period on the power play. But the lead only lasted 1:30 as Mark Jooris tied the game for the McCoys on a power play of their own.

Jerry Gallaway then gave the McCoys the lead at 15:35 of the second period.

Jordan Alford made 34 saves for the win in an up and down night, but held the fort in the waning minutes as the McCoys put on a full court press.

“Both goals they got tonight, on a good day he’d want them back. But he made a couple of real big saves in the final moments — he found a way to dig down deep,” said Lenz, who wouldn’t commit to naming a starter for today’s final.

The Generals fired 44 shots on Dundas goalie Dan Turple, including 18 in the third period alone.

It was the General’s power play that has come alive this past week that has Bentley back in the final, with two big goals again on Friday night.

“Our power play wasn’t very good heading into this tournament, but over the course of the last couple of days we’ve changed a few things up and it has been a big help for us. This time of the year — playoff hockey — that’s the difference between you winning and losing is your specialty teams and your goaltending.”

The Generals now face Fort St. John as they try to claim their second straight national title. The Flyers beat the South East Prairie Thunder 7-2 in the other semifinal on Friday.

Lenz does like how his team matches up against them.

“We’re not going to change our game — they’re going to have to keep up with us,” said Lenz, who’s team lost 7-1 in their opening game of the tournament to the Fort St. John Flyers. “They’ve got a lot of size up front and they’ve got some real good puck moving D-men — they’re not a whole lot different from what we are.”

jaldrich@reddeeradvocate.com

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:25 pm

Alta_redneck wrote:
They figured Valleyview was a nice place to set up camp for the first night. :D

8O ...I've been to Valleyview.....using the word nice having anything to do with Valleyview is quite the oxymoron..... :twisted:

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:52 pm

8O Ditto.

If you ever consider doing the trip again, definitely drive the extra 60 miles and stop in GP! :lol: OMG... Valleyview's a total shit hole on a good day. :lol:

(And - there really aren't any good restaurants. :lol:)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:17 am

Oh I know what Valleyview is all about, I’m comfortably at home and sat this one out like I said I was going to do. There was no last minute changing my mind, I knew what this roadie was turning into. :lol:

I was getting hourly up dates all week from the worlds greatest hockey dad, up until early last night. Maybe this is why they stopped.

Quote:
Generals stopped in mission to repeat

Published: April 24, 2010 10:34 PM

Flyers 4 Generals 1

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The Fort St. John Flyers took advantage of home ice on Saturday to win their first Allan Cup senior hockey tournament.

Flyers goaltender Clayton Pool made 24 saves as Fort St. John captured the title with a 4-1 win over Bentley, upsetting the Generals hopes for a second consecutive championship.

Todd Alexander gave the Flyers a 1-0 lead on an unassisted goal at 8:05 in the first period. At 16:44 in the second, Chris Stevens added the eventual game to make it 2-0.

The Generals lone goal came from Scott Hood at 9:09 of the third, but any thoughts of a comeback were quashed late.

Flyers forward Ryan Carter made it 3-1 at 17:04 before Rod Stevens added an empty-net goal in the dying seconds.

Jordan Alford stopped 29 shots for the Generals.

Fort St. John went through the tournament undefeated, beating Bentley 7-1 and the Clarenville Caribous 6-3 during round-robin play, and knocking off the South East Prairie Thunder 7-3 in Friday’s semifinal.

After the General’s opening 7-1 loss to the Flyers they bounced back to beat the Clarenville Caribous 7-2 on Wednesday. Bentley then beat the South East Prairie Thunder 7-3 in the quarter-final and then the Dundas Real McCoys 4-2 in the semifinal to advance to Saturday’s finale.

Sean Robertson led the Generals in scoring for the tournament with two goals and three assists for five points in five games, while Travis Brigley had three goals and an assist for four points. Brandin Cote and Curtis Austring both scored once and added three assists for four points as well.