Toronto Maple Leafs  75%  [ 3 ]
Nashville Predators  0%  [ 0 ]
Tampa Bay Lightning  25%  [ 1 ]
Dallas Stars  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Author Topic Options
 Tampa Bay Lightning
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:31 pm

It's known that the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Tampa Bay Lightning haven't been getting the short end of the stick in the last few seasons; but now it seems like everything has changed.

These two teams are ranked in the top five with a 3-0 record a piece.

What could be the cause of this? I know that Tampa has finally gotten a goalie that works, so my opinion is that Dan Ellis is keeping it real in net.

What is your thoughts on the matter?

ImageImage

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 pm

I think it's still early in the season and that the Leafs will revert to their usual loser-ish selfs in no time at all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:20 pm

A 3-0 start might matter in a 10-game season, but it doesn't mean jack in an 82-game one. 3-0 is a far ways away from something like the 19 for 20 start the Gretzky Oilers had back in 1984 or whenever it was. Let me know where the Leafs and Bolts are at by the All-Star break because by then it'll actually matter.

Calgary fans and media are showing their usual putrid personalities already. A 1-for-3 start and they're already saying it's Armageddon. I almost hope the Flames move to another town someday just to get back at all the bandwagon-jumpers and fair-weather 'fans'. It's serve a pack of fickle goofs right not to have any team at all in this city.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:40 pm

The Leafs have this tendency to
break
hearts.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:56 pm

hearts and farts

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:01 pm

xerxes xerxes:
I think it's still early in the season and that the Leafs will revert to their usual loser-ish selfs in no time at all.

Based on what? Noticed a little lineup change recently?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:03 pm

CKA_Patriot CKA_Patriot:
It's known that the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Tampa Bay Lightning haven't been getting the short end of the stick in the last few seasons; but now it seems like everything has changed.

These two teams are ranked in the top five with a 3-0 record a piece.

What could be the cause of this? I know that Tampa has finally gotten a goalie that works, so my opinion is that Dan Ellis is keeping it real in net.

What is your thoughts on the matter?

ImageImage

Ellis has started only 1 game, so he's hardly the difference right now. Tampa has great players - from Stamkos to St. Louis and they've played - but they've beat Atlanta and Price in OT, so i'd hardly plan the parade route yet.

I'd say it's a combination of good players doing what they should do and the sched.

Tampa Bay Lightning
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:06 pm

I always plan the parade route when Tampa is involved. ;]
But it just surprises me that those two teams are doing so well so far, compared to like Pittsburgh who are like 1-3, its a nice change.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:20 pm

True, the Leafs have undergone some significant overhauling to help them along. I remember watching quite a few games where Toskala would let in a softie about 6-7 minutes into the first and then the Leafs defence would just collapse. Since they had zilch on the scoring front (at least until Kessel was off the injured reserve) and a soft defence, it was a recipe for an 0-7 start.

Now they seem to have a little bit of depth to pot goals (although MacArthur by his own admission is streaky), the pressure is off Kessel to score everything AND the opposing teams don't simply have to assign one player to shadow him every time he's on the ice.

Also keep in mind that the Leafs were rudderless until Phaneuf showed up last year. They were 18-28-11 when he arrived. With Phaneuf, they were 12-9-3.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:36 am

One other thing I noticed about the Leafs last year about halfway through the season. Most of the games they were losing they were being beaten by goaltending despite consistently outplaying their opposition. A lot of their losses at that point were coming in OT or shootouts(which are bullshit IMO).
Hell, I'll be excited if they just have a .500 season this year. :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:25 am

CKAPatriot,

Sure, tis only game 2, but Dan Ellis got bloody rocked hard last night. By the Panthers.

So, is he still the Pride of Orangeville?

Tampa Bay Lightning
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 am

I don't recall a 6-0 thrashing to the Panthers ;]
Its obvious that Tampa wasn't really playing because they were comatose and others took their places LOL.

Even if they lost they still have a great record of 3-1. Than we have Toronto who's 4-0. I think them and Dallas are the only teams undefeated.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:16 am

CKA_Patriot CKA_Patriot:
I don't recall a 6-0 thrashing to the Panthers ;]
Its obvious that Tampa wasn't really playing because they were comatose and others took their places LOL.

Even if they lost they still have a great record of 3-1. Than we have Toronto who's 4-0. I think them and Dallas are the only teams undefeated.

It happened last night. I'm not saying Tampa isn't a good team, they still have a lot of the pieces in place that helped them win the Cup in 2004. I'm just saying let's wait before anointing Dan Ellis the Holy Goalie.

Tampa Bay Lightning
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:18 pm

$1:
It happened last night. I'm not saying Tampa isn't a good team, they still have a lot of the pieces in place that helped them win the Cup in 2004. I'm just saying let's wait before anointing Dan Ellis the Holy Goalie.

I find him better than Smith, I kinda wish be had the Bulin Wall again.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:38 pm

CKA_Patriot CKA_Patriot:
$1:

I find him better than Smith, I kinda wish be had the Bulin Wall again.

I wouldn't want him back. Ellis is young and didn't he have one stellar season with the Predators?