Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:38 am

To all you Maple Leaf fans out there (the team not the meat LOL) how badly do you think we'll do this year?

I think with all the no-names we signed we have pretty much guaranteed we won't make the playoffs. But just fininshing in the middle will screw us for the draft so let's cross out fingers and hope for the worst!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:55 am

Uh..."We"? I'm not currently "on" the team, but I am a fan. Sorry, little pet peeve about those that include themselves on the roster...unless, you're Jason Blake, and then i'd demand 1/2 your salary back for a crappy season.

The Leafs are going to blow...BAD! There's no primary scoring, there's no secondary scoring, there's no defence (although Wilson's gonna' go that route) and Toskala is going to be a human target on most nights.

I'm hoping for last place and first place in the Tavares sweepstakes (although some scouts are beginning to sour on him and predict most of his scoring will be left in the O)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:08 am

boy, you guys are starting the pain a little early this year, aren't you ?

well, get at it then :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:09 am

I have no clue how we'll do this year.

For all I know, we'll end up middle-ground yet again. We may make the playoffs, we may totally blow and win the First draft pick.

I have no clue. I can't say.

I'll just cheer.

Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:07 pm

I am in a weird position I am a Dion hating Liberal and Leafs fanatic... and I want them both to tank and rebuild.

All I need now is a dominant girlfriend.

It would be insane to do what the Leafs are doing and not come last or second last.

I would leave every prospect and Marlie off the Leafs bench to improve. We need to dive deeper into the dumpster.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:06 pm

It's strange, I've been a Leafs' fan for a long time, and I know they are going to royally suck this year, but I'm actually excited for the season. I predict a bottom 5 finish (league), and a good draft pick, but there could be a few unexpected surprises. Still, if I were going to bet, I'd put money on a bottom 5 finish.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:20 pm

Leafs beat Wings in season opener!!! [B-o]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:29 pm

To be successful outside of the realm of the box office, the Leafs need to win the Tavares lottery by losing a whole bunch this year. Otherwise, another 41 years will pass without a cup.

It was nice waking up the morning after winning a cup ... '62, '63, '64 and '67 all come to mind.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:05 pm

As long as people will drop 300 bucks to go see these bums we will never see another cup as fans of the Maple Leafs. Why should they reduce their profit margin by fielding a team that could win a cup, the seats are always full of bums.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:30 am

Canadiens just ownz Maple Leafs yesterday! Wüt! :rock: [B-o] :mrgreen:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:38 am

Richard Richard:
As long as people will drop 300 bucks to go see these bums we will never see another cup as fans of the Maple Leafs. Why should they reduce their profit margin by fielding a team that could win a cup, the seats are always full of bums.

Wouldn't their profit margin go UP if they could make a long playoff run (they're not going out of their way to milk the fans while giving up more money)? That's where the money is...and besides, the Leafs have great revenue streams through T.V. and merchandise, so it's hardly the "bums" at the game (and this doesn't include corporate boxes and the like) who are to blame.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:11 am

As a beleaguered fan yourself I see you already agree that they don't have to field a great team to make a lot of money. They simply have to add a player from time to time that will give us something to hold onto. I associate it with the "Faint Hope Clause" every fifteen years they give us hope then take it away.

To field a roster of players that could win a cup would cost millions and frankly I don't see why they would want to put out the money. To rebuild farm teams and restructure that organization wouldn't be an overnight job. Especially when your gain would be an extra couple of months "bums" watching the game. We as fans already put out the money for everything except a Stanley Cup hat and shirt. [B-o]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:21 am

Richard Richard:
As a beleaguered fan yourself I see you already agree that they don't have to field a great team to make a lot of money. They simply have to add a player from time to time that will give us something to hold onto. I associate it with the "Faint Hope Clause" every fifteen years they give us hope then take it away.

You're right - i do know that whatever piece of crap Toronto puts onto the ice, it will generate money, but that doesn't mean the Leafs haven't spent money (not this year) on their roster in the past. In fact, that's the biggest slam - they were spending too much money and not getting an equal return. This team was a free-spending model, albeit with crappy results.

$1:
To field a roster of players that could win a cup would cost millions and frankly I don't see why they would want to put out the money.

Not this year - but that's an aberration! The Leafs have always spent money on players, but they've often been overpriced, aging veterans - and this was done at the expense of their farm system and draft selections. They did spend millions - always up to the cap - and any team that dishes out the ridiculous contracts to Tucker, McCabe, Raycroft, Kubina and Blake can't be called cheap (but they can be called reckless)

$1:
To rebuild farm teams and restructure that organization wouldn't be an overnight job. Especially when your gain would be an extra couple of months "bums" watching the game. We as fans already put out the money for everything except a Stanley Cup hat and shirt. [B-o]

They are slowly rebuilding, but that's got nothing to do with their old spend and hope routine. I realize in Fletcher 2.0 era that it is indeed a waste to spend up to the cap, but hopefully in a couple of years they can pull a Philadelphia and mix good drafting, good trades and spend on some quality YOUNG free-agents. It's finally a step in the right direction.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:12 pm

Well if they finally get it right I'll by the tickets if you buy the beer [B-o]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:16 pm

If the Leafs had walked away after the first game, they would have had a perfect season!