Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:51 am

Canucks sign Tom Sestito

$1:
Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Michael D. Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed left wing Tom Sestito to a two-year deal.

Sestito, 25, has appeared in 23 games with Vancouver, recording a goal and 53 penalty minutes. The 6’5” left wing also dressed for the Philadelphia Flyers in 2012.13. In seven games with Philadelphia, he collected two goals, including one game-winner, and added 12 penalty minutes.

The Rome, New York, native has collected eight points (5-3-8) and 212 penalty minutes in 57 games played with the Canucks, Flyers and Columbus Blue Jackets.

The 228-pound forward was originally selected by Columbus in the third round, 85th overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

story and stats

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Canucks could interview eight candidates for coach

$1:
The Vancouver Canucks could interview as many as eight candidates for their coaching vacancy, general manager Mike Gillis said in a radio interview Friday.

Gillis told TEAM 1040 Radio that the Canucks have already talked to Glen Gulutzan and Dallas Eakins as the team looks to replace Alain Vigneault, who was let go May 22. Gulutzan was fired May 14 as coach of the Dallas Stars. Eakins is coach of the Toronto Marlies in the American Hockey League; reports say he also is a target of the New York Rangers.

Gillis described Eakins as a "well-spoken guy, solid young coach, he's a good person and he has good views on the game and what it takes to coach in the National Hockey League."

Of Gulutzan, Gillis said, "I thought that his team played hard; it went through a lot of changes and they kept getting better. Glen is a very bright young coach with a really solid future ahead of him. … I was very impressed."

The radio interview also mentioned an interest in former Columbus Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel. Gillis would not identify other candidates.

"I think this is a great opportunity for us to change direction and I want to speak to everybody and hear their views about what they feel we need and how they could contribute to the Vancouver Canucks," Gillis said. "It's an interesting process, and it's an opportunity to learn a lot about people that are good quality coaches."

The GM said there was no time frame for hiring but that he expected to have a coach in place by July 5, the start of the NHL free-agency period.

"We are going to take our time and make sure that we speak to everybody we believe is a legitimate candidate, and learn as much as we can about them," Gillis said.

nhl.com

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Tortorella offered Canucks coaching position

$1:
The Vancouver Canucks have offered their coaching job to John Tortorella, according to a report by Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press.

Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said in a radio interview Friday the former New York Rangers coach is a candidate but has not been hired.

"We're trying to finish off the process of selecting the next head coach, and that's ongoing as we speak and hopefully it will be over shortly," Gillis told Team 1040 Radio. "I can't say at this point, but John is certainly in the mix and very strong, and we're going to finish off the process the way we designed it initially, and that shouldn't take us much longer."

Tortorella was fired by the Rangers on May 29, after they lost a second-round Stanley Cup Playoff series to the Boston Bruins. He had five winning seasons in New York but was unable to take the Rangers any further than the Eastern Conference Final, which they reached in 2012. He won the 2004 Stanley Cup when he was coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Tortorella, who was in Vancouver on Friday, at times clashed with the New York media and would be facing similar scrutiny.

"I think [dealing with the media] is important … it's something we obviously value," Gillis said. "We're in the spotlight here, we accept that."

Tortorella would replace Alain Vigneault, who had a solid run with the Canucks, including an appearance in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, but was fired last month after a first-round loss to the San Jose Sharks.

Vigneault was introduced as coach of the Rangers during a press conference Friday.

"I think we need a change in voice. … Alain is going to go on and be a very good coach in New York, but I felt we needed a change in direction ..., " Gillis said. "When you look at the head coach of a National Hockey League team, there isn't a bigger change you can make other than a blockbuster trade, and there just aren't many blockbuster trades out there available in this day and age. The hiring of a new coach is going to go a long way to establishing a different voice, a different approach to how our hockey team operates and plays."

link

OMG.....tell me this isn't true..... :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:03 am

Epic fail. Bad idea all round.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:46 am

Hyack Hyack:

OMG.....tell me this isn't true..... :twisted:

:lol: This is priceless if true. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:53 am

Should be good for the entertainment value, but Gillis better start to make some actual player moves, or he's going to be next to go. The draft's coming up soon. That would be a good place to start.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Hmmmmm....with Torcherella at the helm, Me has to rethink being a Canucks fan during his tenure. I wasn't a Canucks fan during the Mark "asshole" Messier / Mike "Gave Messier a Blow job a Day" Kennan tenure either.

Maybe Gillis should have been the one fired not Vigneault.

I guess we'll be leaving the Islanders logo up for a bit longer. (Maybe a couple years..... PDT_Armataz_01_07 )

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:23 pm

QBC QBC:
Maybe Gillis should have been the one fired not Vigneault.

I think that's the popular consensus with nearly every Canucks fan, myself included. Gillis is one of the most hated GMs in the NHL, which is one of the reasons the Canucks can't make a decent trade. No matter who we get as head coach the Canucks' woes won't go away until the Aquilinis finally see the light and get rid of Gillis. Sheeit, I'd even be happy to see Keenan return if it meant the end of Gillis... :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:57 am

If you think Gillis is hated now just wait till he has to unload Luongo for a 5th round draft pick and a years supply of tampons for the twins. 8O

The guy is a complete fekin asshat. First off he should have kept Luongo and traded Schneider because, given Schneider's mentality he's more likely to become the next Dan Cloutier rather than the next Kirk Maclean, especially if Tortorella's his new head coach. [cry]

Every other GM in the league knows that Gillis is over a barrel when it comes to Luongo. He made it quite clear he was going to trade him and when he couldn't get his outrageous asking price for the most overpaid player in Hockey history he balked and kept him claiming having 2 number one goalies, neither of which can win in the playoffs, was better than giving him away. :wink:

Well the shoe's on the other foot now and he's going to have to eat his words because in his infinite wisdom of throwing Luongo under the bus while championing Schneider he's screwed himself royally and every GM in the league now knows the Canucks are going to have to eat most of Roberto's salary while getting nothing in return when they trade him.

A win win situation for any team looking for a starting goaltender and a definite lose lose situation by quite possibly the worst GM in Canuck and Hockey history.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Canucks to hire Tortorella as coach Tuesday

$1:
The Vancouver Canucks will hold a press conference at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday, when they reportedly will introduce John Tortorella as the team's new coach.

Tortorella was in Vancouver on Friday, and Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said last week the former New York Rangers and Tampa Bay Lightning coach was a candidate for the job.

Multiple media outlets say Tortorella will be the choice.

The Canucks have been searching for a replacement for Alain Vigneault since letting him go after seven seasons shortly after the Canucks were swept in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs by the San Jose Sharks. Vigneault was hired last week as Tortorella's replacement as coach of the Rangers.

Tortorella was fired by the Rangers shortly after New York lost in five games to the Boston Bruins in the second round of the playoffs.

In 13 seasons as coach, Tortorella has a record of 410-340-67, with 37 ties. He's led his team into the playoffs six times, including a Stanley Cup championship with the Lightning in 2004.

link

Ohhhh crap..... :roll: :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Hilarious. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Say goodbye to Schneiders psych XD

Get the basket ready cause here he comes.

Tortorella=maniac=Schneider=basketcase 8O

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Markus Naslund gives John Tortorella vote of approval

$1:
VANCOUVER — Markus Naslund wants to make one thing perfectly clear: John Tortorella did not chase him from the NHL.

In fact, the former Vancouver Canucks captain says he enjoyed the half-season of hockey he played under Tortorella with the New York Rangers.

But in a telephone interview Sunday from his home in Ornskoldsvik, Sweden, Naslund did acknowledge that Tortorella will bring a very different coaching style to the Canucks than did his predecessor, Alain Vigneault.

"He is more intense, both on the bench throughout the games and between periods and stuff," Naslund said of Tortorella. "But in a good way. In my experience, and that's only half a season, I thought he was honest and straightforward. And as a player I appreciate that, even if sometimes it's stuff you might not like to hear. I appreciate people that bring it to you and are up front."

Tortorella is expected to be named the Canucks' new head coach early this week. To avoid making the announcement on the same day as Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals, many expect the Canucks to delay formally introducing Tortorella until Tuesday.

After leaving the Canucks as a free agent, Naslund signed a two-year deal with the Rangers in the summer of 2008. He played only one season, walking away from the $3 million he stood to make in the second year of his contract.

Tortorella replaced Tom Renney as head coach of the Rangers during Naslund's one year in the Big Apple. Naslund insisted Tortorella's intense and sometimes abrasive coaching style did not factor into his decision to take early retirement and head home to Sweden, where he is now general manager of his hometown team, Modo, in the Swedish League.

"No, not at all, it was just that I had found that it was my time to walk away," Naslund said. "I enjoyed playing under John.

"He was demanding, but I thought he was a good coach. He did a good job for us coming in and changing a little bit of the structure and how we approached the game. I think he's a good hockey mind."

Tortorella managed to get the Rangers into the playoffs that season.

"But we lost in seven games to Washington in the first round," Naslund recalled.

Naslund expects the Canuck veterans, many of them his former teammates, will have an adjustment to make playing under Tortorella.

"Yeah, any time you make a coaching change there definitely will be changes," he said. "A lot of those guys have only had Alain as their coach in the NHL. I am sure it will be an adjustment."

But players will always know where they stand with Tortorella.

"I think he's a coach that doesn't want his guys guessing and like I said he'll tell you good or bad," Naslund said. "It keeps the guessing game away. He had a good dialogue with the players when I was there. But again, that was only for half a season. I don't know if things changed after he was there for three or four years. I can only speak to the time I was there and my experience."

There have been reports suggesting that some of the Rangers expressed their displeasure with Tortorella during their end-of-season exit interviews with general manager Glen Sather and that played a factor in his firing. Vigneault was announced as his replacement this past Friday.

Naslund, who as a former Canuck captain understands the intense media scrutiny the team faces better than most, also said Tortorella will have to commit to having a more positive relationship with reporters in Vancouver.

"I know he's had a couple of run-ins with (New York Post reporter) Larry Brooks," Naslund said. "He has to have a working relationship for it to work and I would think he understands that, too.

"I didn't find any comparison in the media scrutiny in New York compared to Vancouver. There is so much focus on the hockey team in Vancouver. It's something that comes with the territory and you need to be able to handle it if you are the coach. Coming from Tampa to New York was probably a big step media-wise for John. Now it's another step."

Another former Canuck, Dixon Ward, thinks Tortorella will handle the media just fine in Vancouver. Ward, who is now vice president of the Okanagan Hockey Academy in Penticton, played one season (1995-96) for the Rochester Americans when Tortorella was the head coach. The team won the AHL's Calder Cup that season.

"He is very intense, he is very passionate, but from my experience everything he did was based around what was going to help the team win," Ward said Sunday. "Anything he does in the media is usually to try and deflect attention from his group. He is a very smart guy, he doesn't do anything without thinking about it first."

Ward said the Canuck players can expect a more hands-on coach. He remembers Tortorella as being a coach who was constantly communicating with his players.

"He will be a contrast (to Vigneault)," Ward said. "He's a hands-on guy. He is very communicative and he'll have that communication and those conversations will happen on a daily basis. The one thing he does very well is set expectations for each and every player very early on so there's no confusion about what is expected of them."

Ward, who played two seasons for the Canucks in the early 1990s, thinks Tortorella just might turn out to be a good hire for the Canucks.

"Obviously, when you change a coach you're looking to change some sort of a culture," he said. "Alain did a heck of a job, but every team needs a culture change after seven or eight years. That's just the way it is and if you are going to do that you are going to have to find someone that is entirely different than what you had and that's John."

link

I guess time will tell.....but until then, IMO he's just a loud mouthed schnook.....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Still amazed though that Tortorella lost his job in New York while Glen Sather keeps his. It's just uncanny.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Canucks name John Tortorella head coach

$1:
Vancouver Canucks President and General Manager Michael D. Gillis announced today that John Tortorella has been named Head Coach of the Vancouver Canucks. Tortorella becomes the 17th Head Coach in club history.

“We are proud to introduce John Tortorella as Head Coach of the Vancouver Canucks,” said Michael D. Gillis, President and General Manager, Canucks Sports & Entertainment. “John has coached championship teams and is passionate about winning. He has a proven ability to bring the best out of his players and we believe he has all of the qualities to bring our team success.”

Tortorella, 55, is a Boston, Massachusetts native with a 13-year NHL head coaching career between the New York Rangers and Tampa Bay Lightning. He has posted a record of 410-340-37-67 in 854 NHL regular season games coached, reached the playoffs on eight occasions, won the Stanley Cup in 2003-04 and was recognized with the Jack Adams Award as NHL Coach of the year, following the 2003-04 season. Tortorella currently ranks first on the NHL’s all-time wins list among American-born coaches and ranked fifth among active coaches for most games coached at the conclusion of the 2012.13 season.

Tortorella’s coaching experience spans 24 years, serving in a number of different capacities. He previously acted as an Assistant Coach with the New York Rangers (1999-00), Phoenix Coyotes (1997-99) and the Buffalo Sabres (1989-95). Tortorella had success at the AHL and ACHL level, winning the league championships with the Rochester Americans (AHL) in the 1995-96 season and the Virginia Lancers (ACHL) in the 1986-87 campaign. 

On the international stage, Tortorella most recently served as an Assistant Coach for the silver medal-winning Team USA at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. He also served as Team USA’s Head Coach at the 2008 World Championship and Assistant Coach at the 2005 World Championship.

Prior to taking the helm behind the bench, Tortorella played right wing as a member of Salem State College and the University of Maine of the East Coast Athletic Conference (ECAC). He continued his playing career in Sweden before returning to North America where he joined the Hampton Road Gulls, Erie Golden Blades and Virginia Lancers of the ACHL.

Away from the rink, Tortorella and his wife play an active role in the community, with the John and Christine Tortorella Family Foundation. Both personally and in conjunction with the NY Rangers Garden of Dreams Foundation and the Tampa Bay Lightning Foundation, they have focused their unique resources to advance amateur hockey and educational enrichment opportunities for children, along with medical research and treatment for those in need.

Tortorella and his wife, Chris, have two children, Brittany and Dominick.

link

Goodbye cruel world......Image

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 722 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 43  44  45  46  47  48  49  Next