CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:00 am

Wow, I didn't know there was so much xenophobia coming out of Quebec. And such hatred of non-Europeans, wow. It's impressive enough to compare to the worst of the internet - all non-Europeans must be uneducated and welfare grabbers, I guess. Let's ignore the fact that the Globe and Mail found immigrants to be more educated, on average, than native citizens. Let's ignore the fact that census results for places like America (U.S.) show that immigrants, specifically those from India, China and Africa, have far higher rates of education (68, 50, and 43% respectively, versus around 23% of native citizens and 29% for immigrants from Europe). Back to Canada, statcan shows that immigrants to Canada, despite all the whining about reunification and soft policies - still are more than twice as likely as the general public to hold university degrees. No, forget all that - non-European immigrants are welfare user and we hate them. Yep. No questions. Right.

On the topic of culture. Perhaps in this regard I don't think government should see it as their responsibility to accommodate too much. This goes for anyone, whether you are from Poland or Somalia. There is a certain Canadian culture and society, and I think immigrants, regardless of origin, should try and fit into that mold. Certainly I think immigrants from more conservative parts of the world should be shown videos or such that say certain messages. "This is Canada. Canada is a more liberal place. Women walk around beaches in bikinis. The word 'gay' is not taboo." and etc. On the other hand, Canada has strong roots in diversity beginning with the coexistence of the English and French. The balance between the two ends defines the country.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:17 pm

gentletorontonian gentletorontonian:
Wow, I didn't know there was so much xenophobia coming out of Quebec. And such hatred of non-Europeans, wow. It's impressive enough to compare to the worst of the internet - all non-Europeans must be uneducated and welfare grabbers, I guess. Let's ignore the fact that the Globe and Mail found immigrants to be more educated, on average, than native citizens. Let's ignore the fact that census results for places like America (U.S.) show that immigrants, specifically those from India, China and Africa, have far higher rates of education (68, 50, and 43% respectively, versus around 23% of native citizens and 29% for immigrants from Europe). Back to Canada, statcan shows that immigrants to Canada, despite all the whining about reunification and soft policies - still are more than twice as likely as the general public to hold university degrees. No, forget all that - non-European immigrants are welfare user and we hate them. Yep. No questions. Right.

I don't see why Quebecers should be proud for draining the best brains from underdeveloped countries who need them.