Total votes : 84

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:32 pm

hwacker hwacker:
sandorski sandorski:
If Canadian Culture/Values have Merit, they will continue to exist and will be adopted by Immigrants. If they don't, Immigrants will reject them. Don't be the schmuck that isolates Immigrants and forces them to reject Canada.

It's called our culture , I'll be a schmuck all day. Thanks.

Well, there you go.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:
Just what are you saying? Are you saying that only Europeans should be allowed to immigrate to Canada?

You said the natives were colonialised..Who did that? Europeans! You have truly ingrained racial prejudices and I hope everyone else sees that.

I think you are an idiot. :P Did you even read what I said or understand the meaning of it?

I don't think Europeans should be the only ones allowed here but should always remain a majority for that is what Canada is mostly based upon European culture especially that from Britain.

Yes natives were colonialised by my people and most people living here. Canada isn't a Native Indian country. Perhaps it has played a part to some degree but I could hardly associate myself with any of the former tribes here or many of their practices and culture.

That is my point if we never adapted much or anything of the people living here before us what makes people think other people who become greater numbers than ourselves will either? I simply believe they won't and we will share the same fate as the natives and become pushed aside and lose our own country we live in.

You are a sad, sorry little human. What about the French influences in Canada. What about the German influence. Do you realize that a rather large majority of the Canadian Pacific railway was built by Chinese. You have a very one sided outlook on Canada's past and it's future.

In your views we should build camps to inter any non-European immigrants until they can be assimilated.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:41 pm

$1:
You are a sad, sorry little human. What about the French influences in Canada. What about the German influence. Do you realize that a rather large majority of the Canadian Pacific railway was built by Chinese. You have a very one sided outlook on Canada's past and it's future.

In your views we should build camps to inter any non-European immigrants until they can be assimilated.

?

You don't get it and I think you just want to cry racism and discrimination rather than actually talk about the subject.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:48 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

Italians and Irish weren't the first Europeans really here or in any significant numbers at the start. The Irish who came to Canada did assimilate and were quite different than those found in the United States. They mostly became loyalists while many Irish-Americans were not. .

There you go...the 'assimilation' depends on a LOT of factors and is not a race specific trait. You still see Italian, portuguese immigrants who consider themselves Italian, portuguese, greek first.

$1:
Outside of that that's when other people's culture is foreign and their practices are not even as remotely the same as my own and I do not wish for that culture to come to dominate this country.

Their culture will not dominate this country. Canadian Culture will not remain the same either 'stagnant' cultures implode or are marginalized.
Culture itself will morph into an newer culture which will be called 'canadian' in keeping with how it always worked out.
e.g most of the churches in my neighborhood are filled with Chinese,phillipinoes, Indians etc. The character of the church itself has changed from a french-canadian one to one of mixed cultures.

$1:
Also note I don't associate Pizza with Canada it is Italian food to me. Much like hamburgers are from Germany and butter chicken is Indian.

There are many Italians, Indians and probably Germans who disagree with you or who will tell you that the stuff you get here is the 'Canadian' version:) of the 'real' thing.
It does not mean a thing WHAT you associate with being Canadian because you are not an authority on that by default(as you may think) :D . Honestly, I think I am more Canadian than you. 8)

If you choose not to make race an issue...it will not be one.

Last edited by JakeAnim on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:50 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

?

You don't get it and I think you just want to cry racism and discrimination rather than actually talk about the subject.

What is there to talk about. If someone who brings a skill or special talent or is willing to work and pay taxes wants to immigrate what difference does it make as to which continent that they are coming from.

Most people taking the lower jobs that you think you are too good to do are from nations that are not European.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:50 pm

As a white guy, I have to say that I'm not looking forward to being a minority either. It's just that the minorities are always bitching that they are a minority, which leads me to believe that it must suck, and is a situation to be avoided.

That said, there's not a lot that can be done about. White people don't seem to procreate as much as others in Canada or elsewhere, so the inevitable outcome is that eventually we will be outnumbered by people with brown skin.
There is really not much that can be done about this. There have been some interesting solutions attempted in the past, but most of these have failed and anyway would be deemed rather unsavoury by contemporary standards.

I think it's our culture we should seek to preserve, not our race.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:58 pm

What is the Canadian culture?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:59 pm

$1:
I'd say a Canadian is someone who speaks one of the official languages (in addition to other languauges), contibutes to society, is part of the economy (pays taxes) and who follows Canadian customs and law. I'd say that would be the vast majority today.

Well, if allowing almost 1.5 million immigrants in 10 years (before WW1 when our total population was below 8 million) didn't drastically change Canada, I'm not too worried about allowing 200,000 (non-European/Non-American) immigrants in when we have a population of 32+ million. We allowed 400,000 immigrants in one year (1911 I think) and it didn't destroy Canada. Toronto and Vancouver had Chinatowns in the first decade of the 1900s, so this ethnic enclave argument doesn't fly either.

Trust me, when the immigrants from this decade have children, those kids will be more worried about a PS3, clothes from the GAP, hockey etc and will join Canadian society as have hundreds of thousands of children in the past.

Assimilation is not something that happens overnight. But I would be willing to bet that of 10 children born in Canada to immigrants today, 9 ofthem will become Canadians first and foremost. Odds are that half of them will lose their 'native' language and maybe even culture.

Growing up, I knew a bunch of Chinese and African kids who as they grew up became more interested in hockey than soccer, lost most of thier native langauge skills, and celebrate Christmas, as well as contribute to our society. And my friends all grew up in the 80s, well after the much feared 'multiculturism' was put in place...

Last time I checked, there was only one race, Homo Sapiens. There is no Homo Asiana or Homo Europa or Homo Africanus. People are people period. And like I've said in other threads, the Canada you long for died with the British Empire. The Two solitudes is no more. Canada is richer and more diverse these days and IMHO, that is a good thing.

Your idea of a Canadian is a fairly lose one and not sure what your definition of Canadian customs are either.

Guess where the people were mostly coming from in the early 20th century to Canada? They also made up about 65% of Canada in 1900. It is kind of like fruit. Canada was mostly made up of apples and by adding more apples just makes apples. So why would the society change for apples + apples = apples. But once you take away the apples then oranges, pears, and even watermelons start coming the makeup changes. So by adding 200,000 oranges and watermelons every year it will change the country overtime.

Going to the GAP and having a PS3 makes you part of this country or more of a Canadian?

Let's face it how many Chinese and African kids did you really grow up around? If you grew up where everyone around you was Chinese do you think there would have been more assimilation of them or perhaps more of yourself?

Race: A group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
Homosapien race? The world has many races but all belong to the homosapien family.

Homosapiens: The modern species of humans, the only extant species of the primate family Hominidae.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:04 pm

PJB PJB:

The Charter of Rights, our law, our customs and, most importantly, our hockey.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:06 pm

PJB PJB:

If you don't know you're not one of us.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:08 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:
YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE WHITE TO BE CANADIAN!

It generally helps. I always have preferred Western Europeans than other races because I have gotten along better with them than those who are the visible minority. Also I do not wish for the visible minority to become the majority either and limits should be put to make sure that never happens.
*cough* Racist Separatist *cough*

:x

$1:
So you would like Europeans to become a minority in Canada?

I don't really care.

We could all be Asian, I wouldn't give a shit. Why? Because I don't think Canda needs a national race or colour.

Separatists are Nazi's, I knew it!

Why does race amtter? Why do Europeans have to be a majority in Canada? Why is that so important?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:08 pm

hwacker hwacker:
PJB PJB:

If you don't know you're not one of us.

Please give me your interpretation. I want to see if I am truly Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:11 pm

$1:
There you go...the 'assimilation' depends on a LOT of factors and is not a race specific trait. You still see Italian, portuguese immigrants who consider themselves Italian, portuguese, greek first.

Their culture will not dominate this country. Canadian Culture will not remain the same either 'stagnant' cultures implode or are marginalized.
Culture itself will morph into an newer culture which will be called 'canadian' in keeping with how it always worked out.
e.g most of the churches in my neighborhood are filled with Chinese,phillipinoes, Indians etc. The character of the church itself has changed from a french-canadian one to one of mixed cultures.

There are many Italians, Indians and probably Germans who disagree with you or who will tell you that the stuff you get here is the 'Canadian' version:) of the 'real' thing.
It does not mean a thing WHAT you associate with being Canadian because you are not an authority on that by default(as you may think) Very Happy . Honestly, I think I am more Canadian than you. Cool

If you choose not to make race an issue...it will not be one.

It is somewhat race specific because those of my same race I will be more comfortable with than those of others because we share more. I share little or anything with those from Greece, Italy, Romania, China, India, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, or any of these countries. They are not my country and they are not part of my culture it is foreign culture.

Well why I want my culture to marginalised within Canada? I do not want Canada to turn into something I cannot recognise or associate with. Other foreign cultures should become part of this culture. I don't want to be part of other people's culture if I did I would immigrant there.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:15 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Why does race amtter? Why do Europeans have to be a majority in Canada? Why is that so important?

Because the people coming to Canada (now) are living in a dump, you want that for Canada?

Europeans built this place and made it nice. If China, India, Middle East is so good why are they leaving?

There is a reason why the western countries did so well and it's not the people that came from 3rd world counties.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:16 pm

Clogeroo...I cannot figure you out. The first Europeans forced their culture on the natives that were here before any European arrivals. You defend that but you are afraid that others might do exactly the same thing to you.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 252 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 ... 17  Next