CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:56 am

*The average age of the Infantryman is 19 years of age.

*He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy.

*Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country.

*He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's; but he has never collected unemployment either.

*He's a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sports activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away.

*He listens to rock and roll or hip hop or rap or jazz or swing and 155mm Howitzers.

*He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk.

*He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less, in the dark too.

*He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must.

*He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a professional.

*He can march until he is told to stop or stop until he is told to march.

*He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity.

*He is self-sufficient.

*He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other.

*He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry.

*He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle.

*He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts.

*If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food.

*He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.

*He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands.

*He can save your life - or take it, because that is his job.

*He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still find ironic humor in it all.

*He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed.

*He feels every note of the National Anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to "square-away" those around him who haven't bothered to stand, remove their hat, or even stop talking.

*In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.

*Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom. Beardless or not, he is not a boy.

*He is the American Fighting Man that has kept this country free for over 200 years.

*He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding.

Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

-Any Comments

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:06 am

$1:
*In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.

The only comment I have is in regards to the above quoted portion. He has my respect. If this were any other war I would feel indebted to him for protecting my freedom, safety and security. However this war is not about freedom or safety. It is about protecting self interests and making sure that everyone on this side of the planet can drive a environmentally poluting gas wasting vehicle is they want. It is about the corporatations increasing their bottom line and making a profit.

He has my respect for doing what he is told. His president does not.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:26 am

Pretty much what twila said , and as I have said before - they are some of society's finest . Along with firemen , EMS , and law enforcement , they are the best of our citizens . Most of the time , they are asked to perform their duties in a righteous cause or purpose . Those of us protected by them have the responsibility to insure that their lives are not squandered . We aren't suprised that firemen ran back into burning buildings to save others , but some of us may ask why there is no investigation as to how those buildings came to be struck in the first place . We support our armed forces , and as they protect our rights in a democracy , we reserve and excercise the right to question those that send them into conflict . If we find that the motives of those who sent them were less than honorable , we will hold those who SENT them responsible for the loss of our protectors and the damage done to BOTH sides in the war .

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:30 pm

Sending somebody like that out to fight, maybe get killed, so a few rich bastards can make a few bucks is obscene.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:43 pm

I think we can all sleep better tonight knowing that there are people like these to defend us. Though as of now I am unconvinced this is about oil, if Rev_Blair is right then someone should have bloody hell to pay.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:56 pm

I BET (sarcasm) the "righteous" soldier would really feel he was fighting for freedom, if he was mortally wounded while securing an oil well in Iraq.

I can't believe how American brains turn off when patriotism turns on.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:13 pm

Spitzer Spitzer:
I BET (sarcasm) the "righteous" soldier would really feel he was fighting for freedom, if he was mortally wounded while securing an oil well in Iraq.

I can't believe how American brains turn off when patriotism turns on.

*Cough* Im ex infantry and that sums it up to a T, be nice mr "I only have 3 posts..". Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:47 pm

Spitzer..........Read the quote I posted on the CKA main page......Do the math.........Read between the lines.......

Spineless. :twisted:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:51 pm

HollywoodHitman HollywoodHitman:
Spitzer..........Read the quote I posted on the CKA main page......Do the math.........Read between the lines.......

Spineless. :twisted:

""War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight; nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better people than himself"
- John Stuart Mills"

There HW I posted it here for ya. RH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:55 pm

Thank you, RH, Brother.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:08 pm

While we are on the subject of using quotes.....lol

Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
-Sir Winston Churchill

-BTW I'm ex-Infantry as well. I'm not bashing infantryman by any means, only the justification of the current OP in Iraq. I should have clarified that. Pardon me. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:22 pm

Ahhhh.........Whatever dude. If you were ex infantry (I don't mean cadet corps either) you'd be supporting the troops no matter what your position on the war. I'm not "for" the war, but I'm definitley "for" the troops on the ground. If you ARE infantry ( I don't believe that once you get out you stop being what you are) you should be supporting the troops. Bash the government and it's policies all you want, but don't insult the soldiers over there who are fighting because they believe their freedom and way of life are at stake. They've earned the right.

I'm not anti-Iraqi soldier, I think those guys are brave and tough as well and because they're fighting for what they believe in, I RESPECT them and wish them a prosperous life, albeit a short one. I know they have families and people who love them, but they're NOT my allies!

The coalition members are our country's closest allies and we've alienated them in this matter. This is going to end up costing us somewhere down the line, who knows where. Human lives aren't as big as a country. They never are. There are other things at work, things behind the scenes that none of us are privy to. Trust the governments 100%? Never......

Consipiracy theories are out there! They big bad governments are out to get us!!! :twisted:

As I've said before, I'm NEVER embarrassed to be a Canadian, I'm very proud, but I'm embarrassed as a soldier that my country opted out of a conflict in which many of us have friends and family members participating in......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:16 am

Well, Iraq is one place you wouldn't wanna be right now.

As a matter of fact, I was also an Army cadet for five years.

Once you get away from the military, you begin to see things a little differently. Like using your own head instead of being told what, and how to think. Don't forget, there's alot of propaganda in the military.

Again, my intent was not to bash American troops, only the "ILLUSION" imprinted upon them of "fighting for freedom and their way of life", by invading and bombing the hell out of Iraqi people. This "ILLUSION" of justification is spun by the U.S. govt' suggests that Iraq presents a clear and present danger to the United States of America. Which I think is a big load of crap! Also when anyone questions the U.S. govt's "ILLUSION of Justification" they are ridiculed and labeled as unpatriotic Liberals that don't support the troops. It's a modern mind control technique called "propaganda".

"Gee, maybe if we call it "OP Iraqi Freedom" they'll buy it." "Ya, just like they bought "OP Just Cause."

Come on now, is it that hard to see the questionable motives behind this aggression against Iraq?

Did you know the U.S. supplied Iraq with chemical/biological "WMD" during the war with Iran? They also turned a blind eye when Saddam gased the Kurds.

I support Canadian Troops.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:45 am

Yes tuhe US supplied Saddam with some weapons during the 80's but so did many other countries like Russia, France and Germany.

I send my support out to all Coalition troops, sailors,and airmen fighting in Iraq.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:38 pm

Many of us may have different views about the motives of those who sent the trrops in . The one thing that has been clear to me is that the soldiers , almost without exception , are doing an exemplary job under the most difficult circumstances . Same for the airmen , and naval personnel . Military medical people are doing their utmost to save lives and alleviate suffering on both sides , often under fire or in unsecured areas , and to me it takes a very unique person to do that . Again , these people are some of the best our society produces , and no matter what the motivations of their leaders , it won't diminish their honor .