bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:50 am

Thought I'd put up a topic for all things to do with today's Brexit vote.

Feel free to add whatever you want to it.

My own take on it is that the fix is in. The US stock markets are rising in anticipation of the Brits staying in the EU while all of the polls have the exit vote leading by 2% to as much as 12%. To me that means that the banksters know something that the rest of us don't know.

So my prediction for today's vote is this:

When the polling places report their vote the Brexit will win.

When the mail-in ballots are counted tomorrow the Brexit will lose. And in some cases...just like in Austria's recent presidential election...the mail-in ballots for various precincts will exceed the number of registered voters in those precincts and the liberal government will say they're valid ballots.

tl;dr I'm anticipating widespread vote fraud and will be very surprised if it doesn't happen.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:51 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brita ... SKCN0Z902K

$1:
World watches as Britons vote on EU membership after tight campaign

Britons were voting on Thursday on whether to stay in the European Union in a referendum that could change the face of Europe and is being nervously watched by financial markets and politicians across the world.

A British exit, or Brexit, would deprive the 28-member EU of its second-biggest economy and one of its two main military powers, sending political shockwaves across the continent.

After four months of bitter campaigning, polling stations opened at 0600 GMT (0200 EDT) and will close at 2100, with results expected to be announced by the 382 individual local counting areas between around 0100 and 0300 on Friday.

Prime Minister David Cameron, who is for "Remain", called the vote under pressure from the anti-EU wing of his Conservative Party and the surging UK Independence Party (UKIP), hoping to end decades of debate over Britain's ties with Europe.

Even with a vote to stay, Cameron could struggle to repair the rifts in his party and hold on to his job.

The "Leave" campaign says Britain's economy would benefit from a Brexit. "Remain" says it would cause financial chaos and impoverish the nation for years or even decades to come.

Two polls conducted on Tuesday and Wednesday found "Remain" was in the lead, although the overall picture from the last few days of polling was of a vote that was too close to forecast.

An Ipsos MORI poll for the Evening Standard newspaper found support for "Remain" on 52 percent and "Leave" on 48 percent. A Populus poll found "Remain" 10 points ahead on 55 percent.

Cameron voted early, and said on Twitter: "Vote Remain - so that our children and grandchildren have a brighter future."

His main rival, former London mayor Boris Johnson, who is the favorite with bookmakers to succeed Cameron, tweeted: "Now is the time to believe in this country and #VoteLeave. Let's make today our Independence Day."

It is only the third referendum in British history. The first, also about membership of what was then called the European Economic Community, was in 1975.

The campaign, which has exposed bitter divisions in the ruling Conservative Party, was dominated by immigration and the economy and shaken by the murder of pro-EU Labour lawmaker Jo Cox last week.

If Britons choose to leave, Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon has suggested Scotland, where sentiment towards the EU is much more positive, may call a referendum on leaving the United Kingdom.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:53 am

I'm of the opinion that Boris Johnson is a misguided idiot who should keep his mouth shut a little more often than he does.

Therefore, do the opposite of whatever Boris wants.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:58 am

That both the big parties, who BTW successfully covered up for decades a major pedophile ring that was operating in the background of both of their ranks, are against leaving then everyone should vote to exit.

Politicians, especially sitting governments, have an astonishing ability to ignore/halt/reverse the results of referendums they don't like. I won't be surprised at all if, after two to three years of "consultations", they put together an exit "procedure" that takes a decade to accomplish. Brexit could win but it'll be made into such a tedious and drawn-out experience that the status quo will remain in place for so long it'll be like the referendum never even happened at all. Look at how long it took to get rid of the gun registry in Canada as something similar, and that was from a Tory government that on the surface was entirely gung-ho to abolish it.

Last edited by Thanos on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:05 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

When the mail-in ballots are counted tomorrow the Brexit will lose.

Entirely possible since the expats very much want to stay in the EU. Otherwise they will all have to come home, so that's and apparently some will even be stateless.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:10 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I'm of the opinion that Boris Johnson is a misguided idiot who should keep his mouth shut a little more often than he does.

It's kinda like Trump. I don't like either option. The status quo is disgusting, but the alternative seems just as bad. Who will rid me of these troublesome politicians? A pox on both their houses.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:24 am

andyt andyt:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It's kinda like Trump. I don't like either option. The status quo is disgusting, but the alternative seems just as bad. Who will rid me of these troublesome politicians? A pox on both their houses.

Exactly. Borked if you do, Borked if you don't.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:31 am

Sky News is saying the shooting in Germany might impact the vote on the Brexit.

Not much of a surprise there.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 am

From a Brit who voted about two hours ago:

$1:
What did I think....um...Pencil or Crayon, to much choice !.

This area is almost certainly going to be for Exit. There are signs in the fields, nailed to trees , In Windows, all saying Exit.
The British don’t talk much to strangers unless they are “on a mission”, today there was a lot of chattering in the Queues for the voting papers.

However, this is a Conservative area, who knows how the rest of the country will go. But the Tea leafs do suggest an Exit vote.

The rain has now started ,this usually helps keep Our younger generation away from the Polls.
Fingers crossed and a following wind. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:25 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... endum.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -myth.html

THE 4 BIG LIES REMAIN USED IN THE CAMPAIGN.

$1:
On Turkey, EU diplomats said talks on the country's membership will reopen next week;
On trade, Germany's top industrialist dismissed claims Brexit would spark a tariff war;
On migration, EU chief Jean-Claude Juncker ruled out more changes to free movement rules;
On welfare, Mr Cameron was accused of falsely claiming jobless migrants can be kicked out.

Too bad it basically comes too late.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:29 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Sky News is saying the shooting in Germany might impact the vote on the Brexit.

Not much of a surprise there.

Too late for most people.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:29 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
From a Brit who voted about two hours ago:

What did I think....um...Pencil or Crayon, to much choice !.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -plot.html

A Brexiteer was lending her pen to Leave voters in a polling station.
After Austria, there is a case to be made for using a pen. The UK usually provides only a pencil for voting.
So, of course, someone called the police.
And, of course, the police showed up. Funny how that works.

Times have changed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:32 am

Batsy mentioned in another thread he voted Leave, but thinks Remain will win.

I agree with him.

Project Fear turned into Outrageous Project Bully, Lie, and Slander.

It was shameful to watch that; the UK is a supposed democracy.
What a joke.

Results should happen very late tonight in Canada;
5 -6 am in Europe.

Many thanks to Nigel Farage for campaigning for this for over 20 years.
Job well done. R=UP

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:15 am

Should they end up with a majority voting to exit the EU I'm wondering if it will prompt other EU countries to consider having their own referendums to do the same. :?:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:27 am

Strutz Strutz:
Should they end up with a majority voting to exit the EU I'm wondering if it will prompt other EU countries to consider having their own referendums to do the same. :?:

That's exactly what I was hoping for.

I have seen firsthand the destruction the EU has wreaked on Europe.

This referendum was the best way to get the ball rolling for either some serious,
really serious reform in Europe, or for other countries to start getting out of this train wreck.

Instead, the Euros will get closer political union, tax harmonization,
another million rapefugees (200k so far this year), and now an EU army.

The med countries will get no respite from financial pressures,
and the turds will continue to swirl the bowl.