canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

$1:
Dutch MPs to decide on burqa ban
Clash of civilizations update from Holland, from the BBC, with thanks to Designnut:

The Dutch government will announce over the next few weeks whether it will make it a crime to wear traditional Islamic dress which covers the face apart from the eyes.
The Dutch parliament has already voted in favour of a proposal to ban the burqa outside the home, and some in the government have thrown their weight behind it.

There are only about 50 women in all of the Netherlands who do cover up entirely - but soon they could be breaking the law.

Dutch MP Geert Wilders is the man who first suggested the idea of a ban.

"It's a medieval symbol, a symbol against women," he says.

"We don't want women to be ashamed to show who they are. Even if you have decided yourself to do that, you should not do it in Holland, because we want you to be integrated, assimilated into Dutch society. If people cannot see who you are, or see one inch of your body or your face, I believe this is not the way to integrate into our society."...

Mr Wilders has explicitly linked his wish for a burqa ban with terrorism.

"We have problems with a growing minority of Muslims who tend to have sympathy with the Islamo-fascistic concept of radical Islam," says Mr Wilders.

"That's also a reason why everybody should be identifiable when they walk on the street or go to a pub or go into a restaurant or whatsoever."

$1:

"We have problems with a growing minority of Muslims who tend to have sympathy with the Islamo-fascistic concept of radical Islam," says Mr Wilders.

As opposed to the true, peaceful kind? Well shouldn't we be hearing more from the moderate Muslims? Shouldn't they, rather than Mr Wilders, be speaking out against the burqa?

They don't even defend there own religion from violent terrorism, but they'll sure as hell defend there burqa, lol

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:42 pm

I feel that a woman should under any circumstances wear a Burka in any Western State. Further, any woman who chooses not to should be protected from whatever version of Sharia Law that is either legally or illegally practised in that particular community and is one of several sticks used to keep women in line.

Having said that, it should not be made illegal and no State should have the right to dictate how, why and what you dress like beyond what is required under certain safety regulations such as hardhats and steel toed boots at construction sites or official uniforms like that of police, military etc.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:16 pm

I say let them wear burkas as long as they are made of clear plastic.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:43 pm

Folks can wear what they want but I don't believe this choice should take legal presidence over things like passport or drivers licence photos. There are very legitimate reasons to see peoples faces.
I would also be terrified of seeing someone in a burka driving.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:47 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
Folks can wear what they want but I don't believe this choice should take legal presidence over things like passport or drivers licence photos. There are very legitimate reasons to see peoples faces.

Which are all valid points, particularily in a culture where the display of the face has been accepted for since its inception.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:02 pm

$1:
"We don't want women to be ashamed to show who they are. Even if you have decided yourself to do that, you should not do it in Holland, because we want you to be integrated, assimilated into Dutch society. If people cannot see who you are, or see one inch of your body or your face, I believe this is not the way to integrate into our society."...

Bravo for the dutch !

In western society it simply scares people, If they really want to fit in they would not wear them, but obviously some of them dont. ... whats that called again multiculturism ?

When in rome .... yada yada yada

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:34 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:

If a woman is so observant as to wear a burqa then she should also be so observant as to not drive.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:36 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
ridenrain ridenrain:

If a woman is so observant as to wear a burqa then she should also be so observant as to not drive.

I'll go one better, go back home where it's accepted.

or get your ass in a pair of tight jeans.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:48 pm

Here is my question why come to Canada as a refugee on the grounds you had to flee from repression and a hateful regeme and then procede to rebuild the same life style (including Sharia law) you supposedly fled from? The Burka is not a Muslim tradition it's become popular in the West as a sign of support for radical Islam. Not once prior to September 11 did I see ONE Burka and now I see them in rural fishing villages. I don't care what they choose to wear but when the time comes that a few Radical Males strap a bomb on and slide into a Burka it will be to late for the Appeasement crowd to say opps perhaps we were wrong. The Burka could be the perfect weapon of mass murder.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Lily?come on now, It most certainly applies to canada and any other country where these "supressed" people choose to move to.

I have said it before, Amalgamation is key to keeping our national identity.

Scrappy has an amazing point with her post......

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Orinx Orinx:
Which one is that, exactly? That Burkas are just a recent fad in "support of radical islam", or that they're a weapon of mass murder? ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:08 pm

Orinx Orinx:
Lily?come on now, It most certainly applies to canada and any other country where these "supressed" people choose to move to.

I think you're looking for a different word than amalgamation.

a‧mal‧ga‧ma‧tion  /əˌmælgəˈmeɪʃən/

1. the act or process of amalgamating.
2. the state or result of being amalgamated.
3. Commerce. a consolidation of two or more corporations.
4. Metallurgy. the extraction of precious metals from their ores by treatment with mercury.

You're probably thinking of integration. Though, Muslims in Canada and the US have done a much better job of integrating into each country's society than their European counterparts.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:12 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Orinx Orinx:
Which one is that, exactly? That Burkas are just a recent fad in "support of radical islam", or that they're a weapon of mass murder? ROTFL

That if they are fleeing repression and seeking political asylum,why are they building the same life for themselves and using symbols like the burqa which represent the oppression they were fleeing in the first place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:15 pm

Maybe someone can explain why women's groups are not up in arms over this. Here is a religious enforced costume designed to hide the identity of women and no one from that community is saying a single bad thing about it.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:15 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Orinx Orinx:

I think you're looking for a different word than amalgamation.

a‧mal‧ga‧ma‧tion  /əˌmælgəˈmeɪʃən/

1. the act or process of amalgamating.
2. the state or result of being amalgamated.
3. Commerce. a consolidation of two or more corporations.
4. Metallurgy. the extraction of precious metals from their ores by treatment with mercury.

You're probably thinking of integration. Though, Muslims in Canada and the US have done a much better job of integrating into each country's society than their European counterparts.

1. the act or process of amalgamating.becoming one,no??

integration would probably be a better word, thanks for pointing that out.Although I think you get the point.