canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:50 pm

Debate about what, Godz? When has anybody here ever supported the religious hard-liners in Iran?

If you would have done some research and looked into the history of the situation you would have found that things were loosening up and becoming more democratic in Iran. They began to crack down after Bush gave his "axis of evil" speech and invaded Iraq.

If you read any of the reputable analysis (left, right, or neutral) of the situation in Iran you will find that the present crackdown was predicted. You will also find that most experts on Iran feel that any military action against Iran will cause the Ayotollahs to gain support because it will cause a rise in Irani nationalism.

The full article also alludes to Iran's reformist movement in government and the fact that "President Khatami has ordered an investigation into the reports of torture."

The issue is not anywhere close to as black and white as you would present it to be, Godz. Of course you really don't care about freedom of speech in Iran, your only trying to spread untruths about people who don't buy your line of crap.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:53 pm

Now now rev, no need to get all upset, godz said that he wanted a debate not a war. i know that you have been exceptionally moderate in nearly all of your 5000+ posts, so please try to continue your record.

Relax, i'm just joking around, i agree with alot of what you say rev, i really do, in this case i just agree with godz. You were right on one thing rev: the issue is never as black and white as anyone ever wants it to be. but things are easier to understand if they are just black and white because we can never know all the factors in everything.
It is most unfortunate that even the internet is being sensored by governments. I want things in the mid-east just to be sane, like nearly everyone else in this world

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:57 pm

they told Bush to go piss up a rope though.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:05 am

$1:
If you actually did some reading on Iranian politics, you'd notice that Khatami's power is rather limited.

Again, that power was building before the US started pissing around in the area. The religious hard-liners were allowing more and more freedoms.

$1:
The reformists can shout from the rooftops (with no help from the Liberal left in the west ironicaly)

Actually they've had support from several organisations that you would consider very much leftist, Godz.

$1:
As long as he stays, nothing will change.

Things were changing though. 20 years ago things were much worse than are now. 3 years ago they were much better.

$1:
I want things in the mid-east just to be sane, like nearly everyone else in this world

I want things to be sane too, but while US actions are making things worse in Iran they have no trouble with so many places that are as bad or worse.

The reason the democracy movement in Iran is running into increased resistance from the religious right in that country (and a fundamentalist whacko is a fundamentalist whacko, no matter what their religion) is that the threat from the US is making the leaders more and more defensive.

$1:
godz said that he wanted a debate not a war.

No, Godz said that he'd like to see the Iranian students debate with leftists from here in an attempt to imply that people on the left support the repression by the Ayotollahs. In other words he started another thread with another of his lies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:15 am

Thats right about the States in Iraq is giving the religous nuts over there good cause for not reforming.Hell there just using fear tatics to keep the population in line.Alot of people say Bush is doing the same thing and yeah he is but the diffrence is Bush was elected.He could have been tossed out of office but yet the people voted him in.The same scare tatics that the Liberals used against Harper.Fear works to control people unless they balls up and say enough.Here we can do that at the voting both in Iran they will have to fight for it and we should help them as much as we can.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:17 am

Dan74 Dan74:
Hell there just using fear tatics to keep the population in line.Alot of people say Bush is doing the same thing and yeah he is but the diffrence is Bush was elected.
So was Hitler...

The Bush supporters that surround me have no idea. Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan... all the same to them. "Them bad, us good" is the aditude in the south, doesn't matter what the reasons are.

It's actually kinda scary.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:17 am

that Bush wasn't elected.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:55 am

$1:
(Both Human Rights watch and reporters without borders codemmed the decision).

Just a couple of those leftist groups you said never did anything to help the Iraqi democratic movement, Godz. Make up your fucking mind for a change.

$1:
Yeah Rolling Eyes That's why protestors were shouting "Bring back the Shah!" after a soccer game in Tehran in 2001. And signs that read "Down with the Taliban in Kabul and Tehran"

Who was in power twenty years ago, Godz? Look it up. The year 1985. Who was ruling Iran? Your completely inadequate grasp of history is frightening but it does help to explain your lack of understanding.

Things were better in 2001 than they were in 1985. In 1985 those people would have shot and/or jailed for taking part in a protest like that.

Nobody on the left support the right-wing religious regime that rules Iraq, Godz. To suggest that they do is to be a liar. You are a liar Godz. Now go sign up for George Bush's goon squad and prove you aren't a coward as well.

See what I meant dg? He didn't want to discuss Iran and the repression of freedoms at all. He's so incredibly moronic that he thought he could use the actions of right-wing regime in Iran to condemn people who oppose George Bush in Canada. That was his intent from the beginning.

Oh, I almost forgot:

Libby Davies helps an Iranian student

NDP Emergency Resolution on student protest in Iran

NDP letter to Prime Minister re: human rights in Iran

I can get you more links, Godz. I'm not going to bother though because these demonstrate once again that you are lying.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:20 am

Rev, allow me to explain my statement about agreeing with godz: on this one, i generally agree with his opinion, yet i find his facts supporting that opinion quigte misinformed.

Now, could you two stop bickering! it is getting annoying

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:59 am

He doesn't have a point though, dg. He does this all the time...starts a thread to slam anybody who opposes George Bush in any way. He's not here to discuss the issue(s). He never has been.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:05 am

i never said he had a point