GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:46 pm

$1:
Winnipeg Free Press
July 6th 2007

Letters to the Editor
Featured Letter

Canadians aren't quitters

Your front page Thursday stated: Six more soldiers killed. An increasingly war-weary Canada asks: Is it time to bring troops home?

Where are the headlines like this coming from? We didn't send our troops to a tea party. We sent them to war. People on both sides die in a war. We are fighting for freedom. War is hell and terrorists are evil. We have six more soldiers die so now we want to consider packing up our toys and leaving the sandbox? Aren't we the spoiled brats. Too bad the Taliban aren't thinking the same way. Wouldn't that warm and fuzzy though be nice for us if it happened. Don't worry, it won't. The Taliban are in this war to win, not go home because they lost some soldiers. You have the luxury of publishing your headlines. The NDP has the luxury of demanding the troops come home. Canadians who have never been to war have the luxury of saying that they are war-weary.

The media, politicians and Canadian public in the Second World War didn't ask the same question as your front page asks. They supported the troops and the troops stayed and fought the Nazis in Europe and we lost not 66, but tens of thousands of Canadians for the cause of freedom. Where would we be today if Canadians back then said, "We lost 66 soldiers -- let's bring our troops home. It's too dangerous fighting Hitler -- he's so powerful and I don't know if we can beat him?"

We were leaders back then. Leaders don't quit.

This was in the Winnipeg Free Press today. Reaffirmed my stance on Afghanistan.

What if this mentality was around during Hitler?

This Liberal-minded mentality is why we why the Western Nations are no longer the world powers we used to be.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:20 pm

westmanguy westmanguy:
What if this mentality was around during Hitler?

And here is one example of an answer to your question:

$1:

NORMANDY, FRANCE (June 6, 1944) Three hundred French civilians were killed and thousands more were wounded today in the first hours of America's invasion of continental Europe. Casualties were heaviest among women and children. Most of the French casualties were the result of artillery fire from American ships attempting to knock out German fortifications prior to the landing of hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops. Reports from a makeshift hospital in the French town of St. Mere Eglise said the carnage was far worse than the French had anticipated, and that reaction against the American invasion was running high. "We are dying for no reason, "said a Frenchman speaking on condition of anonymity. "Americans can't even shoot straight. I never thought I'd say this, but life was better under Adolph Hitler."

The invasion also caused severe environmental damage. American troops, tanks, trucks and machinery destroyed miles of pristine shoreline and thousands of acres of ecologically sensitive wetlands. It was believed that the habitat of the spineless French crab was completely wiped out, thus threatening the species with extinction. A representative of Greenpeace said his organization, which had tried to stall the invasion for over a year, was appalled at the destruction, but not surprised. "This is just another example of how the military destroys the environment without a second thought," said Christine Moanmore. "And it's all about corporate greed."

Contacted at his Manhattan condo, a member of the French government-in-exile who abandoned Paris when Hitler invaded, said the invasion was based solely on American financial interests. "Everyone knows that President Roosevelt has ties to 'big beer'," said Pierre LeWimp. "Once the German beer industry is conquered, Roosevelt's beer cronies will control the world market and make a fortune."

Administration supporters said America's aggressive actions were based in part on the assertions of controversial scientist Albert Einstein, who sent a letter to Roosevelt speculating that the Germans were developing a secret weapon -- a so-called "atomic bomb". Such a weapon could produce casualties on a scale never seen before, and cause environmental damage that could last for thousands of years. Hitler has denied having such a weapon and international inspectors were unable to locate such weapons even after spending two long weekends in Germany. Shortly after the invasion began, reports surfaced that German prisoners had been abused by American soldiers. Mistreatment of Jews by Germans at their so-called "concentration camps" has been rumored, but so far this remains unproven.

Several thousand Americans died during the first hours of the invasion, and French officials are concerned that the uncollected corpses will pose a public-health risk. "The Americans should have planned for this in advance," they said. "It's their mess, and we don't intend to help clean it up."

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:29 pm

Tying into Bart's post.......

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:34 pm

Yeah and I can just imagine the official reaction to that article.

Some-body here said "this is WW2...." It certainly is not.

:roll:

Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:44 pm

I've been having trouble lately trying to lay out my feeling on this mission. I 100% support the right of people to say or feel how they want about it but I do see it destroying the mission from the inside out.

I do not think the mission with succeed at the pace of things here at home. I can't come to a decision or completely make up my mind on everything because of that. I want the troops to stay and keep going at it because I know (as much as anyone can, I guess) that it will work and they can do it given the time. The time it would take as suggested by certain generals awhile back. 2015-2020. I don't have a link and i'm not going to look for one.

But the mission will probably end in 2009. So are the deaths of the troops from here til then a waste? I hope not. I hope our allies can keep the momentum going.

Getting back closer to topic. I don't think it's so much liberal Canadians. I think nearly all of them do support the individual soldiers and just want what they think is best. I do think it's the political parties and leaders that hurt things a helluva lot more by manipulating things for their own wants and needs.

That's what makes politics so hard for me. I want to be involved but they all look like one big viper nest. Which snake do I want to bite me? Answer: None.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:55 pm

If the Mission becomes impossible, sticking it out becomes foolish.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:10 pm

"Stay until the job is done"???
What job? Getting rid of drug trade? Nice job. I'ts icreased by 300% or so. Thanx.
Getting rid of Terrorism? Nice job. Increased by.. wait. What was the amount before foreign troops arrived?
0%? Then the number today is going to blow the charts.
Minimising Civillian cassualties? Oh.. I... C.. What is it? 50,000? 100,000 dead? More? Eh... Whos counting anyway
Do the job. Kill and maim till the gas and oil pipes are up and running and the central bank is in american controle. Petro-dollar anyone?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:13 pm

OPP OPP:
What job? Getting rid of drug trade? Nice job. I'ts icreased by 300% or so. Thanx.
Getting rid of Terrorism? Nice job. Increased by.. wait. What was the amount before foreign troops arrived?
Minimising Civillian cassualties? Oh.. I... C.. What is it? 50,000? 100,000 dead? More? Eh... Whos counting anyway
Do the job. Kill and maim till the gas and oil pipes are up and running and the central bank is in american controle. Petro-dollar anyone?
You have any proof to back up your numbers?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:14 pm

Wullu Wullu:
Tying into Bart's post.......

Yes... The afghans are evil and they're sceeming to take over the world. :roll: :roll: :roll: IDIOT!!!!

Last edited by OPP on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:15 pm

$1:
You have any proof to back up your numbers?

It's from, 'The Leftist Manual of Random Numbers for any Arguement'.

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:17 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
It's from, 'The Leftist Manual of Random Numbers for any Arguement'.
They must have just released their latest edition.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:17 pm

OPP OPP:

OPP..... the "job" has changed. We originally were supposed to be going in there and ferreting out those responsible for 9/11......Now it's "helping" the people of Afghanistan and fighting the "Taliban". What do you think it will be next?

Oh yes.....and those responsible for 9/11....bin laden........ hasn't been found.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:20 pm

GerryHurt GerryHurt:
OPP OPP:

OPP..... the "job" has changed. We originally were supposed to be going in there and ferreting out those responsible for 9/11......Now it's "helping" the people of Afghanistan and fighting the "Taliban". What do you think it will be next?

Oh yes.....and those responsible for 9/11....bin laden........ hasn't been found.

Growing opium I presume.

Last edited by OPP on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Actually, he's likely fertilizing a poppy field.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:25 pm

...All for the good of the people I must add. So that they can keep their living. Someone's gotta' make those tons of heroin and why not empty your pockets for "your" army to protect the trade?