CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:33 pm

http://www.startribune.com/malaysia-ind ... 432842133/

$1:
Malaysia, Indonesia Muslim groups call for Starbucks boycott

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Muslim groups in Malaysia and Indonesia have called for a boycott of Starbucks because of the coffee chain's support for LGBT rights.

Malaysian group Perkasa, which supports a hard-line form of Islam and nationalism, this week called on its more than 500,000 members to stay away from Starbucks coffee shops. This week and last, leaders of Indonesia's second largest mainstream Muslim group, Muhammadiyah, with an estimated 29 million members, denounced the chain.

The groups were apparently reacting to comments made several years ago by former CEO Howard Schultz in support of gay rights that drew renewed attention amid an increasingly anti-LGBT climate in both of the predominantly Muslim countries.

Perkasa said in a statement that the Malaysian government should revoke the trading license given to Starbucks and other companies such as Microsoft and Apple that support LGBT rights and same-sex marriage.

Amini Amir Abdullah, who heads Perkasa's Islamic affairs bureau, said Muslims should stay away from Starbucks because its pro-gay rights policy is against Islam and Malaysia's constitution.

Sodomy is illegal in Malaysia and punishable by up to 20 years in prison. Homosexuality is not illegal in Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation, but a case before the Constitutional Court is seeking to criminalize gay sex and sex outside of marriage.

A boycott Starbucks hashtag was briefly popular on Twitter in Indonesia and shares of the company that operates Starbucks in the country fell sharply this week. But its stores in the capital Jakarta appeared as popular as ever.

Gavin Bowring, a Malaysia analyst at risk consulting company Eurasia Group, said the boycott was unlikely to amount to much but reflected "a growing tendency toward conservatism and strict adherence to Islamic principles."

[popcorn]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:44 pm

So we'll see what Starbucks prefers, Malaysian money or LGBT rights money... unless they convince Perkasa and Muhammadiyah that they can hate LGBTs in Malaysia but still love them elsewhere.

I really don't care myself because I find that Starbucks coffee is overrated and not worth my money.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Meh.... no different than the American Talibaptists and their terror campaign on Planned Parenthood and a woman's right to choose. The muzzie fundies haven't blown up a Starbucks or murdered a barrista yet. Same can't be said about the American Talibaptists.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:29 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Meh.... no different than the American Talibaptists and their terror campaign on Planned Parenthood and a woman's right to choose. The muzzie fundies haven't blown up a Starbucks or murdered a barrista yet. Same can't be said about the American Talibaptists.

It is different. It's apples and oranges.

Mohammedans have killed gays. Tons of them. So if that's what you're talking about - death for the offense - compare that. Abortion murders don't come close to the gays in Muslim countries that have found themselves flying from the rooftops or hanging from various upper reaches.

This is a boycott of Starbucks. For that you'd compare to something like the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movements Progressives are so fond of.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:41 am

raydan raydan:
I really don't care myself because I find that Starbucks coffee is overrated and not worth my money.

Agreed. I've never really understood why everyone makes such a fuss about their product. I know anytime I've been in the local mall there is ALWAYS a line-up at the Starbucks.

I actually very rarely have coffee anywhere other than home and work and the occasional after dinner coffee if I dine out with others at a restaurant and typically I'll have one only if we decide to have dessert.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:41 am

Strutz Strutz:
raydan raydan:

Agreed. I've never really understood why everyone makes such a fuss about their product. I know anytime I've been in the local mall there is ALWAYS a line-up at the Starbucks.

I actually very rarely have coffee anywhere other than home and work and the occasional after dinner coffee if I dine out with others at a restaurant and typically I'll have one only if we decide to have dessert.

Funny, because there is a Starbucks and a Timmies near each other at YEG airport. Starbucks usually has a line of people waiting for their order, none waiting to order. Timmies has a longer line waiting to order, and no one waiting for their order.

If Muslims don't want coffee, I see no reason they should be forced to have any. ;) Seems to me they could use a little less caffeine anyhow.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:01 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
The muzzie fundies haven't blown up a Starbucks or murdered a barrista yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Jakarta_attacks