Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:16 am

EVERY country is responsible in how it treats prisoners .

http://www.mediamonitors.net/mosaddeq29.html

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0129-03.htm

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:24 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story ... 92,00.html

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:50 pm

Geeze buford, what kind of monsters have you got running things down there? Does any of this ever make the mainstream news?

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:48 am

I figured y'all probably knew about this sort of thing anyway since Canada has a marginally more free press . Although considering the subject matter , it's possible that mostly polite Canadians would wish to avoid discussing this sort of thing . As for the U.S. , I heard a few press reports regarding " questionable " treatment of captured Afghanis in Cuba , but not much coverage after a few stories over the course of a week or so , and like the 9/11 investigations - it 's not an issue anymore . Maybe we have short attention spans , or maybe U.S. violations of the Geneva conventions are not worth wondering about - unless they are being committed against us .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:00 pm

To all "polite" Canadians...there is a bit of a difference between a punch in the head, and a bullet in the head! I just can't sleep at night untill I'm sure the "clients" in Guantanamo bay have had 3 "culturally sensitive" meals per day! I'm off today, and an old friend came by for lunch. This guy, bless his leftie ass, is so anti-American, so pro anything not American, that I wonder why I even deal with it. Wait, I know why...I like to hear the other side of the story, no matter how skewed it is. If anybody thinks American soldiers in captivity are getting what they dish out, you're FUCKED! Go to "ogrish.com", the search engine is at the bottom of the page, and punch up "Chechnya". Go see how some of those great bastions of freedom (Russia being the first that comes to mind) deal with pow's/civilian populations. War is a dirty fucking business, and if ya ask me, out of two shitty choices, I'd rather my POW ass in GITMO, than uncle saddam's dept. of corrections. Propaganda is everywhere, cnn/state dept./defence dept. included, but something tells me we're right on this one (Iraq). Questioning our leaders & countries policies is a great and noble thing, but KEEP YOU'RE EYES OPEN while ya do it! Uhhh, where's my meds...shit, missed a dose, damn,...

P.S. To my buddy Buf,...if ya think Canada has a "marginally" more free press, listen to "CBC" on radio, tv, or netcast. The only difference to me is the anchors on "al jazeera" speak Arabic!!!

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:13 pm

Let's hope there's no truth to this :

http://rawa.fancymarketing.net/antiwar2.htm

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:43 pm

Actually, Absolut....most press critics say that Al Jazeera is one of the most objective news agencies out there. The CBC and BBC are also held in high esteem.

The point isn't that other countries treat their prisoners worse than we do, and I include Canada in this, but that we should treat our prisoners according to the conventions and agreements that we've signed. If we can't do that, then we are breaking the law. Is being guilty of criminal negligence causing death a whole lot better than manslaughter? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:42 pm

What rev. blair said. Not to mention that you can't cry fowl when your doing the same dirty deed.

Electric, I'd read those reports. I didn't think that anybody would care to know about that. What struck me ( but, sadly, I didn't think anybody else would catch) was that these individuals are only SUSPECTED of having terrorist affiliations.

I also read a report that those identified as having flown the planes into the pentagon and the WTC were actually alive and well in their home country. Interesting to say the least. I'll see if I can find that particular article. It's funny how sometimes you stumb le across an article only to have it dissappear days later............

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:21 pm

Don't ever under-estimate the intelligence of the population, Twila. I was talking to a model the other day...a girl too stupid to tell the difference between the shipping/receiving room and the model change room (I work for a photographer). We got to talking (models love married guys with no teeth 'cause we don't hit on them) and she's incredibly into the Iraq thing.

Anyway, the point is that this girl took an interest and the time to educate herself and, even with her extremely limited brain power, had managed to formulate some opinions. Some of those opinions were wrong, mind you; but she still had them. She also understood that there was a complexity that she didn't quite grasp, but she knew that something was wrong with everything coming out of Washington.

I've had the same basic conversation with everybody from college profs to drunk guys in bars. Odd how samrt people really are.