bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:57 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Fighter Fighter:
Key Points from Imran Khan's Victory Speech.

1. To make Pakistan an Islamic Welfare state, as per Medina.

2. To make policies to help poor and marginalized communities.

3. Will work towards enrolling 25 million out of school children.

4. To provide clean drinking water.

5. I have forgotten all personal attacks on me, even if you didn’t vote for me.

6. I will not engage in political victimization. I will make rule of law and take action across the board.

7. Accountability will start from me and my Ministers.

8. Will fix governance system and have a big economic challenge ahead.

9. Will reduce cost and difficulty in doing business.

10. Will ask overseas Pakistanis to invest in Pakistan.

11. Promises simplicity and austerity. Says will protect tax money.

12. I won’t live in PM house we will make it an educational institution. We will use the Governor houses for public.

13. Will use hill side resorts for public.

14. Change will start from me and my team.

15. Will create new jobs.

16. We have a bug foreign policy challenge, economic and security challenge. Pakistan needs stability.

17. We will improve relations with China.

18. We will learn poverty alleviation from China.

19. Afghanistan has lost most in War on Terror followed by Pakistan. Both countries need peace.

20. We want to end the fight rather than extend it.

21. I was portrayed like a Bollywood villan in India. But, I understand we need good relations with India, we need trade relations.

22. We need to address human rights issues of Kashmir and the Kashmir issue.

23. I will prove to you we can improve governance here.

24. I pledge that we won’t have protocols.

25. Pakistan’s policies will be made for poor people. Will give rights to people who work in homes.

26. On rigging: this election comission was made by PMLN and PPP. Any party wherever they say has been rigging, we will fully investigate it and any constituency that you want us to open we will open.

27. He thanked everyone.

For your sake, I hope he is able to accomplish even half of those things! [B-o]

Sounds like a pretty nice guy. But then again, they usually do this early in the game. Can you tell I'm a bit jaded? ;)

hahah...

No, you're not jaded :)

Politicians sell this sweet talk before elections and that is why people all over the world have been weary of them. But I think Imran will be different as first time ever a man is arised who has broken the dynasty politics in Pakistan. He is straight forward guy with no prior experience of governance/diplomacy...I think he will be given suitable time to prove his mettle :)

looks like for few days, I will be occupied with Imran related news :)

Thanks for your kind words :)
-----------------------------------

Imran Khan With His Son's Sulaiman Khan and Qasim Khan at London Airport

Imran Khan | Believe You'll Win | True Life Story | Goal Triggers

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Imran Khan and the Sydney University maiden

CRICKET broadcaster Kerry O’Keefe has spilled the beans on the most legendary performance by an overseas player on Aussie soil.

Adam Santarossa
news.com.auFebruary 9, 20178:24am

Pakistani politician, former cricketer Imran Khan.Source:News Limited

SHANE Warne is considered by many as cricket’s greatest playboy, but former Test spinner Kerry O’Keeffe has lifted the lid of his experiences with another, Pakistani legend Imran Khan — and the tale leaves “Warney” in the shade.

O’Keeffe played alongside Khan during the 1984-1985 season, when the Pakistan all-rounder turned out for New South Wales and also Sydney grade club, Sydney University.

It was at University where O’Keeffe got up close to Khan and the former Australian leg spinner has shared a hilarious story as part of his YouTube series.

Khan would make just seven appearances for the club side during his time in Australia but one match against North Sydney will go down in folklore.

The match was held at University Oval No. 1 in December of 1984, as the Students took on North Sydney.

Pakistani Test cricketer Imran Khan in his playing days.Source:News Corp Australia

Khan was considered a notorious playboy during his legendary career and O’Keeffe recalls how the Pakistani great had caught the attention of one glamorous blonde watching on at University Oval.

“She only had eyes for one player and it wasn’t happily married Uni captain Mick O’Sullivan with five daughters — it was the Pakistan all-rounder,” O’Keeffe explains.

“Who was never short of female company it has to be said. I’m not saying they were groupies, but Imran Khan was attractive to women without question.”

Khan was staying at the up market apartment complex The Connaught, overlooking Sydney’s Hyde Park and would zoom around Sydney in a red sports car provided by a sponsor.

Sydney University were defending just 180 on a flat deck and North Sydney was making easy work of the run chase as the lunch break was called.

While Sydney University players were “nibbling nervously on some Sao’s”, Khan had other things on his mind.

“He was waltzing out of the carpark with the blonde into the red sports car and back to The Connaught,” O’Keeffe said.

“Now, A, you could lock in (they were heading back) for Tofu. B, to watch re-runs of Gunsmoke or, C, horizontal folk dancing — I’m not saying which one it was.

“All I’m saying after the forty minutes Sydney University strode out to try and defend their meagre total at 180 — only with 10 men.”

North Sydney was well poised for victory. At 3/130, chasing 180, things looked bleak, and University were now without their strike man.

Imran Khan had not returned. Captain O’Sullivan was livid. North Sydney’s score was mounting, in lots of 10 towards the small target. The visitors knew that without the star bowler on the ground, they were a huge chance of victory.

“20 minutes after the break, Imran Khan with the blonde and the red sports car returned, and casually strolls onto the field at fine-leg,” recalled O’Keeffe.

Khan led Pakistan to a World Cup win in 1992.Source:Getty Images

Suddenly a wicket fell. North Sydney now only had four wickets in hand, a further 30 runs needed.

Imran Khan would walk up to his captain Mick O’Sullivan and simply said “I will bowl now,” says O’Keeffe – Khan offering no explanation as to why he was late.

“He bowled the most withering spell of reverse swing ever seen at Sydney University Oval,” O’Keeffe said. The Pakistani great firing University to victory.

While O’Keefe’s recollection flatters Khan (O’Keeffe claims he took 5/3), Sydney University’s 1984-1985 season reports sheds insight into the fateful day — also verifying Khan’s extra-curricular activity.

The long struggle on the second day saw us restricting the run rate but finding it difficult to obtain wickets. That is until at 2.10pm after a slightly longer than scheduled lunch (for who knows what) Imran’s wonderful words, “Captain, I will bowl now” were uttered. After a big Imran off cutter hit Graham Spring’s stumps, Greedy Grimble chipped in with Trevor Chappell’s wicket. Two more Imran off cutters for LBWs saw the game turn our way. Good pressure was maintained and we scraped home by 9 runs. Imran’s 4-25 from 23 overs was a high point. I am sure all players derived enormous satisfaction from watching him.

Khan is now a politician in his native Pakistan.Source:AFP

“Imran was last seen driving out of the car park in the red sports car with the blonde, driving back to The Connaught,” O’Keeffe said.

“The clear message is, if you’re playing club cricket and the tedium of lunch gets too much for you, there are options”.

O’Keeffe’s tale also verifies what cricket players of Khan’s era always said — that once Imran got those balls swinging, he was impossible to play.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/imran-khan-and-the-sydney-university-maiden/news-story/314f27bd6d69b7cdd34210c881228f30

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 am

10 Surprising Facts About Imran Khan

Julian Assange Interviews Imran Khan On His Success In Politics

The Julian Assange Show Episode 10: Khan (2012)

Last edited by Fighter on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:25 pm

7 years old interview...Ah, the memories.

So, he got there...He reached his aim...He is now PM of Pakistan :)

10 Questions for Imran Khan | TIME

Lady interviewer, looks like had a crush on him lol

TEDxKarachi 2011 - Imran Khan - Never Give up on Your Dreams

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Queen Elizabeth praises Pak Army officer’s platoon for ‘outstanding achievement’

Major Umar Farooq from Pakistan Army joined British Army’s military academy last year as an instructor. — Geo News

LONDON: A platoon of cadets at UK's Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS), led by a Pakistan Army major, has been declared as the best platoon of the course this year for demonstrating outstanding skills, with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth praising the Pakistani officer for “outstanding achievement.”

Major Umar Farooq from Pakistan Army joined British Army’s military academy last year as an instructor — taking over from Major Uqbah who returned to Pakistan last year after serving as the first Pakistani military instructor. UK’s chief of General Staff Gen Mark Carlton Smith was the chief guest.

On Friday, Sovereign’s Parade of Commission Course 173 was held at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, with UK’s Chief of General Staff General Mark Carlton Smith as the chief guest. Major Farooq was platoon commander of the course and trained cadets for over a year.

Out of eight platoons, his was declared the best platoon of the course at the ceremony, which was attended by a large number of people, including retired and serving military officers, families of cadets and ambassadors from dozens of countries.

Pakistan High Commissioner Sahebzada Ahmed Khan attended the parade and congratulated Major Farooq and his platoon for achieving this coveted position.

In recognition of his outstanding performance, the Pakistan Army officer has received a letter of appreciation from Her Majesty the Queen. His name has been written on the Sovereign’s platoon board in Royal Military Academy library, which is an honour for Pakistan Army.

This correspondent has seen a copy of the appreciation letter sent by the Buckingham Palace to Major Farooq.

In recognition of his outstanding performance, the Pakistan Army officer has received a letter of appreciation from Her Majesty the Queen. — Geo News

Queen Elizabeth wrote that she was "delighted to learn that Number 12 Platoon The Somme Company has won the Sovereign's Banner Competition this term."

Her majesty added: "I send my warm congratulations to you, Colour Sergeant R. Kirkbrigght THE YORKSHIRE REGIMENT and all members of the Platoon on this outstanding achievement."

Major Farooq is from 44 SP Artillery. Before coming to RMAS, he has served in Pakistan Military Academy Kakul as Adjutant and Platoon Commander.

At the parade, 173rd Commission Course passed out and two cadets from Pakistan Army were also among the ones completing the course.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/206964-queen-elizabeth-praises-pak-army-officers-platoon-for-outstanding-achievement

---------------------

Exclusive: As Trump cracks down on Pakistan, U.S. cuts military training programmes

Idrees Ali, Phil Stewart

ISLAMABAD/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump’s administration has quietly started cutting scores of Pakistani officers from coveted training and educational programmes that have been a hallmark of bilateral military relations for more than a decade, U.S. officials say.

The move, which has not been previously reported, is one of the first known impacts from Trump’s decision this year to suspend U.S. security assistance to Pakistan to compel it to crack down on Islamic militants.

The Pentagon and the Pakistani military did not comment directly on the decision or the internal deliberations, but officials from both countries privately criticised the move.

U.S. officials, speaking to Reuters on the condition of anonymity, said they were worried the decision could undermine a key trust-building measure. Pakistani officials warned it could push their military to further look to China or Russia for leadership training.

The effective suspension of Pakistan from the U.S. government’s International Military Education and Training program (IMET) will close off places that had been set aside for 66 Pakistani officers this year, a State Department spokesperson told Reuters.

The places will either be unfilled or given to officers from other countries.

Dan Feldman, a former U.S. special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, called the move “very short-sighted and myopic”.

“This will have lasting negative impacts limiting the bilateral relationship well into the future,” Feldman told Reuters.

The State Department spokesperson, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the IMET cancellations were valued at $2.41 million so far. At least two other programmes have also been affected, the spokesperson said.

It is unclear precisely what level of military cooperation still continues outside the IMET programme, beyond the top level contacts between U.S. and Pakistani military leaders.

The U.S. military has traditionally sought to shield such educational programmes from political tensions, arguing that the ties built by bringing foreign military officers to the United States pay long-term dividends.

For example, the U.S. Army’s War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, which would normally have two Pakistani military officers per year, boasts graduates including Lieutenant General Naveed Mukhtar, the current director-general of Pakistan’s powerful spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence agency (ISI).

The War College, the U.S. Army’s premier school for foreign officers, says it has hosted 37 participants from Pakistan over the past several decades. It will have no Pakistani students in the upcoming academic year, a spokeswoman said.

Pakistan has also been removed from programmes at the U.S. Naval War College, Naval Staff College and courses including cyber security studies.

“LIES AND DECEIT”

In his first tweet of 2018, Trump slammed Pakistan, saying the country has rewarded past U.S. aid with “nothing but lies & deceit.” Washington announced plans in January to suspend up to roughly $2 billion in U.S. security assistance to Pakistan.

But weeks later, Pakistan’s foreign secretary was quoted by local media saying that Islamabad had been told the United States would continue funding IMET programs.

Officially allies in fighting terrorism, Pakistan and the United States have a complicated relationship, bound by Washington’s dependence on Pakistan to supply its troops in Afghanistan but plagued by accusations Islamabad is playing a double game.

Tensions have grown over U.S. complaints that the Afghan Taliban militants and the Haqqani network that target American troops in Afghanistan are allowed to shelter on Pakistani soil.

Current and former U.S. officials said Defense Secretary Jim Mattis argued against excluding Pakistani officers from IMET courses.

“I am shocked... We worked so hard for this to be the one thing that got saved,” said a former U.S. defence official, who was involved in the conversations.

The Pentagon declined to comment on internal government discussions, but Dana White, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said Mattis long believed in the value of the IMET programme as a way to build relations between foreign militaries.

Pakistani Senator Mushahid Hussain, chairman of the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee, told Reuters that a U.S. decision to cut off such exchanges would be counter-productive and push Pakistan’s military towards other countries.

“It is one of those silly, punitive measures that they have deployed,” said Hussain, who sat next to a Chinese and Pakistani flag in his office.

Russia and Pakistan signed an agreement earlier this week that would allow for Pakistani military officers to train at Russian institutes.

Pakistan’s military has ruled the country for about half of its history and traditionally seen the country’s foreign policy in its domain.

IMET courses have been able to withstand poor relations between the two countries in the past, even after al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed in a U.S. Navy SEAL raid in the Pakistani town of Abbotabad in 2011.

A NATO helicopter raid killed 28 Pakistani troops later that year in a friendly fire incident on the Afghan-Pakistan border.

Feldman said that after the raid, when relations were at a low point, the United States limited large security assistance items, but made active efforts to continue the IMET programme.

UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE

In the 1990’s former U.S. President George H.W. Bush refused to certify that Pakistan did not have nuclear weapons, triggering the so-called “Pressler Amendment” that required cutting off all military assistance. That included IMET courses.

“The unintended consequence was we didn’t know a decade of the Pakistani military leadership as well, and therefore couldn’t engage as effectively with them when we needed to,” Feldman said.

Mattis, in private discussions within the government, had warned that excluding Pakistani officers from IMET courses could contribute to a similar situation in years to come, the former U.S. defence official said.

Pakistan had been the largest recipient of IMET between 2003 and 2017, according to the Security Assistance Monitor which tracks U.S. assistance.

“You can advocate for cutting off everything else and this was the one thing we were not supposed to touch,” the former official said.

https://in.reuters.com/article/pakistan-usa-military/exclusive-as-trump-cracks-down-on-pakistan-u-s-cuts-military-training-programmes-idINKBN1KV16R

------------

hmm...Relations are going down the hill fast under Trump.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 pm

PHOTO: Pakistan PM-elect Imran Khan gifted bat signed by Indian cricket team

Senator Senator Faisal Javed confirmed Kapil Dev, Navjot Singh Sidhu and Sunil Gavaskar have been invited to Imran Khan's oath-taking ceremony.

Imran Khan (R) presented with a bat by Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan Ajay Bisaria. (Source: ANI)

Pakistan’s Prime Minister-elect Imran Khan has been gifted a bat signed by the Indian cricket team on Friday. The bat was presented to the former Pakistan cricketer and World Cup winner by the Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan Ajay Bisaria. As per reports on Pakistan media outlet Geo TV, Imran will take oath on August 18.

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran, whose party won 116 general seats in the National Assembly elections in the July 25 polls, is slated to become Pakistan’s next prime minister.

Senator Senator Faisal Javed also confirmed that three former Indian cricketers Kapil Dev, Navjot Singh Sidhu and Sunil Gavaskar have been invited to Imran Khan’s oath-taking ceremony. Also invited for the ceremony are members of Pakistan’s 1992 World Cup winning team who were Imran’s compatriots.

“I would like to take our government’s OK, take their view, opinion whether I should travel there even if there is a day when I am able to go,” Gavaskar had said on invitation to India Today.

“I just got the invite yesterday, and the invite was from his (Imran’s) office, his party. An official invite in a way hasn’t been there. I would like to travel but whether I would be able to travel is a different matter. And I say this because I have got commitments to do commentary for the second Test starting at Lord’s. As of now from what I gathered the date of the swearing-in is not yet certain.”

“If it is on the 15th (August) I clearly won’t be able to go because it’s my mother’s 93rd birthday, apart from it being India’s Independence day. And the same evening I am going to England to cover the remaining three Test matches,” he had said.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/pakistan-prime-minister-imran-khan-bat-photo-5300862/

---------------

Imran Khan: The changing face of Pakistan's Gulf relations

Despite the blame game of poll-rigging and perceived electoral manipulation in Imran Khan's favour, former cricket-star-turned-politician and chairman of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party (PTI) is all set to take the oath as Prime Minister of Pakistan next week.

Although the party of PM-designate Imran Khan failed to achieve the magic figure of 137, negotiations are already underway with smaller parties and independent members of the National Assembly to acquire the required majority.

During an election campaign that was marred by violence and infighting, the PTI like other parties, all but ignored the crucial issue of the country's foreign policy, focusing instead on issues of domestic governance, unemployment, corruption, poverty and other slogans around lifting the fate of poor labourers and neglected groups.

But once the PTI chief realised his party was on the road to power, he offered some glimpses of his foreign policy goals and gave an outline of country's priorities in the international arena.

In his first victory speech, Imran Khan spoke of Saudi Arabia and Iran - two major strategic and political players in the Middle East. He stated that his government will further improve its relationship with Iran and Saudi Arabia, which is an old friend that has always stood by Pakistan in times of crisis. He also expressed his desire to play a conciliatory and peacemaking role in the resolution of conflict that has plagued the region for many years.

When it comes to Pakistani ties with Gulf states, it was the Afghan jihad of the late 1970s and 1980s which deepened their relationship, and their inter-dependence later transformed the mutual cooperation into deep strategic partnership.

"With the exit of Nawaz Sharif, Saudi Arabia has lost a reliable ally"

Today, Pakistani armed forces provide arms training to all six GCC countries. Many members of the Pakistani armed forces serve in GCC countries and some Saudi military battalions count Pakistani troops among their ranks.

Pakistani forces are also deployed in various sensitive locations such as oil refineries and security installations in Saudi Arabia and Qatar. During his recent visit to Doha, Pakistan's chief of army staff, Mr Bajwa said that Pakistan's military would also provide troops to Qatar at the next football World Cup.

With the exit of Nawaz Sharif, Saudi Arabia has lost a reliable ally who never concealed his affection for the Gulf states in general, and Saudi Arabia in particular for both personal and strategic reasons.

His close affiliation with the Gulf states no doubt prevented forging of warmer Pakistani ties with Iran. But this might be about to change, as it was in part Imran Khan's political mobilisation and pressure that deterred the erstwhile government from sending Pakistani forces to join the Saudi-led coalition's continuing and catastrophic war in Yemen, after the National Assembly voted against it.

The harsh reaction from UAE's foreign minister, Anwar Gargash warned that Pakistan would pay a heavy price.

Unlike his predecessor, Imran Khan has no family business stake in the Kingdom or any particular personal affiliation with the Middle East politics. Moreover, he owes nothing to Saudi Arabia, unlike Mr Sharif who was granted asylum during his years of exile. Mr Khan has also announced his intention to diversify sources of investment, and he will be looking more toward Pakistanis residing in western countries to invest in the nation.

But the new government will still need Saudi Arabia for financial assistance to aid it in overcoming the ever-deepening economic crisis. A Saudi-backed bank recently proposed a loan of US$4 billion to Pakistan, an offer that Khan, once he is sworn in as prime minister, is likely to accept.

The Prime Minister-designate Imran Khan has made it clear that he would also seek closer ties with Iran and would revive Iran-Pakistan pipeline project that was neglected under the previous government.

Khan accepted Rouhani's invitation to visit Iran, and said that he would like to tour its historic sites. But he will also be mindful of Pakistan's dependence on Iran's gas, given the volatile scenario since the US' withdrawal from the nuclear deal, or JCPOA.

"Houthi chief Mohammad Ali al-Houthi in Yemen - ally of Iran - sent a congratulatory message to Imran Khan"

In another indication of newly emerging dynamics in the region, Houthi chief Mohammad Ali al-Houthi in Yemen - ally of Iran - sent a congratulatory message to Imran Khan, saying that the new leader would surely understand the quandary of fighting other people's wars.

The fate of the 41-nation Islamic Military Counter Terrorism Coalition, (IMCTC, formerly the IMAFT), headed by former Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif, is likely to be affected with the change of guard, as it is seen as anti-Iran coalition, particularly after President Trump's address to the Islamic Summit in Riyadh in May, 2017.

Looking to pursue a politics of pragmatism, Khan, like Mahathir of Malaysia, could chose to opt out of the IMAFT, an ill-advised project since its creation.

Given Imran Khan's preference for an inclusive approach in foreign policy, the new government will try not to get dragged into the ongoing intra-GCC conflict, or the Iran-Saudi conflict.

Protecting its economic interests along with maintaining a sort of neutrality will present the biggest challenge for the Khan's new government.

Qatar, for example, has already introduced a free 30-day visa on arrival for Pakistani citizens, and has acquired 49 percent stake in Pakistan's Port Qasim project. The growing economic ties between the two are likely to earn the ire of UAE and Saudi Arabia.

The new government will hope to avoid the divisive politics of the Arab world, unlike Nawaz who had embraced one at the cost of the other.

It will not be an easy ride for Pakistan when it comes to dealing with the Arab world. The country's energy and economic requirements will force Khan to tread carefully, and any policy of apathy or neutrality might entrench the region's ties with India, which Pakistan perhaps cannot afford.

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/comment/2018/8/10/imran-khan-the-changing-face-of-pakistans-gulf-relations

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:44 pm

71 years of independence, so here we go...14 August, our independence day from British rule :D

Pakistan celebrates 71 years of independence, day dawns with gun salutes

ISLAMABAD: The nation is celebrating 71st Independence Day today (Tuesday) with traditional fervour and enthusiasm.

All major public and private buildings, roads and avenues have been decorated with illuminations, national flags, portraits of national leaders, banners and buntings to give a festive look. Fireworks began as soon as the clock struck 12:00 am midnight.

The day dawned with thirty-one gun salute in the federal and twenty-one gun salute at the provincial capitals.

The main event of the day was a flag hoisting ceremony at Convention Center in Islamabad where President Mamnoon Hussain was the chief guest. At 8:59 am in the morning siren was sounded and the traffic came to standstill for one minute.

Then president hosted the national flag followed by national anthem. The president also addressed the nation on the occasion.

Caretaker Prime Minister Justice (R) Nasirul Mulk, federal ministers, speaker and deputy speaker of the National Assembly, parliamentarians, services chiefs, envoys of various countries and people from all walks of life graced the occasion.

Special prayers are being offered in mosques at dawn for peace, solidarity and prosperity of the country and for the resolution of long standing issue of Kashmir.

Educational institutions have arranged art exhibitions, declamation contests, national songs competitions and tableau shows.

Horse and cattle shows, folk music and stage shows, sports tournaments for children, exhibitions of fruits and vegetables have also been organized in villages, towns and cities across the country.

The services of heroes of Pakistan Movement are also being highlighted through electronic and print media on the day to pay tribute to their struggle for making Pakistan a reality.

In their messages to the nation on 72nd Independence Day, President Mamnoon Hussain, caretaker Prime Minister Justice ® Nasirul Mulk and federal ministers said that in order to rid the country of political, social, economic and other complex issues, the nation will have to rise above its personal and factional differences.

In their messages to the nation on 71st Independence Day, they believed that the dream of taking the country to the zenith would not come true unless we singularly concentrate on our national goals and objectives.

The president, caretaker prime minister, federal ministers and other greeted the countrymen on Independence Day and said the day revives our enthusiasm as we rejuvenate our resolve to put our country on the track of progress and prosperity.

They said on this day, our devotion to honour our national flag enhances manifold as it is the day for fulfillment of our hopes and aspirations and is the time for jubilation. “Pakistan is a heaven and a blessing for the Muslims of the subcontinent and was liberated after numerous sacrifices by our forefathers. Now it is our responsibility to take our country forward on the path of progress and prosperity according to the aspirations of its founders. This requires all segments of the society to live together with harmony and brotherhood,” they remarked.

They said it is satisfactory to note that our new generation is full of patriotism, and has a sincere passion for development and progress of the country. However, he said, still there is a need to keep our children aware that why Pakistan was created, the sacrifices rendered by our sages and the dedication of Pakistan’s founders for a separate homeland.

They said it is one of the objectives of commemorating the national days to apprise the society, particularly the young generation of our national objectives and the struggle to achieve them.

They believed that the dream of taking the country to the zenith would not come true unless we singularly concentrate on our national goals and objectives. He said only by dedicatedly pursuing these principles we can materialise the dream of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah and Allama Muhammad Iqbal.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/354907-pakistan-celebrates-71st-independence-day

Iran is wishing Pakistan a Happy Independence Day

Neighbouring country Iran has put up banners on its roads and metro trains to congratulate Pakistan on its 72nd Independence Day.

The country’s metro trains and screens are displaying congratulatory messages to promote friendly ties between the two countries.

Google celebrates Pakistan's Independence Day with doodle

Search engine Google released a doodle on the occasion of Pakistan’s 71 years of independence. Photo: Screenshot

Search engine Google has released a doodle on the occasion of Pakistan’s 71 years of independence.

This is not the first time the search engine has paid tribute to Pakistan on its Independence Day. Last year also, it released a doodle celebrating the country's birthday. The Google doodle has also paid tribute to legendary musician Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, philanthropist Abdul Sattar Edhi and Shehenshah-e Ghazl Mehdi Hassan on their birthdays.

Pakistan is celebrating its independence today with traditional fervour and enthusiasm.

Earlier in the day, a 31 gun salute took place in the federal capital and a 21 gun salute in the provincial headquarters.

A change of guard ceremony was held at the Quaid’s mausoleum in Karachi and Iqbal’s mausoleum in Lahore, where cadets of Pakistan Navy took charge of their duties.

Later in the day, a flag hoisting ceremony was held at Jinnah Convention Centre in Islamabad where President Mamnoon Hussain hoisted the country’s flag.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/207360-google-celebrates-pakistans-independence-day-with-doodle

Pakistan, India come together for special Independence Day message

By Our Correspondents
Published: August 14, 2018

KARACHI/MUMBAI:

India and Pakistan’s leading digital platform Arré and Teeli has collaborated to co-produce, co-write, and co-create the first digital short filmed across Delhi and Karachi, to celebrate Independence Day for India on the 15th of August and for Pakistan, on the 14th of August, stated a press release.

The collaboration is an attempt to engage with shared cultural values like food, language, and social relationships, rather than the politics that has shaped the current narrative.

The short film explores the possibility of a personal relationship between young people in these two countries and tries to ask the question: What would happen if one of us got a chance to befriend someone across the border? Would the countries’ political and social history come in the way? Is the sarhad more than just a geographical construct demarcating territory?

Matched! captures the unlikely friendship between an Indian girl from Amritsar and a Pakistani boy from Lahore, made possible through a dating app. Lahore and Amritsar are only 50 kilometres apart – and yet, are separated by more than just geography.

So what happens when two people who only associate India with Bollywood and Pakistan with Coke Studio, strike a conversation? A friendship evolves, similarities are discovered, differences are cast aside, and by the end of it, you’re left wondering what makes them so different from us.

The film was simultaneously shot in in Karachi and New Delhi by members of the two teams and every attempt was made to deliver a film that is not one country’s version of the other, but a joint expression of two neighbours.

Sharan Saikumar, Creative Director Arré, said in a statement, “Matched! is a product of the digital age. It suggests that even though our countries and politics may falter, as people we can always be true.”

Gul Zaib Shakeel, Head Writer, Teeli, went on to add, “The fact that content from either side of the border resonates with the other is testament to how truly similar we are at the core. This is what the video is about.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1779877/4-pakistan-india-come-together-special-independence-day-message/

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:34 am

DIL DIL PAKISTAN by Vital Signs

Shukriya (Thanks) Pakistan - Official Video

Dil Say Pakistan - Haroon, Muniba Mazari, Javed Bashir, Farhan Bogra

In this below video/song, Christopher Lee played as Mr. Jinnah....Just a glimpse of what happened in partition of Sub continent.

Ae Jawan Jeet Hay Tera Nishan

Hum Zinda Qaum Hain Painda Qaum Hain

The Life of founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah - Part 1

part 2

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 am

All thanks to this man, Mr. Jinnah, also called Quaid-e-Azam, and his companions, to whom we owe our freedom and to countless Muslims as well who got killed just because they were asking for separate country, for their rights. Finally, British lost, congress as well.....while Mr. Jinnah won.

Note: Mr. Jinnah did campaign for Pakistan but initially, in his early days, he was not campaigning for it. In fact, he was called the ambassador of Hindu Muslim unity. He was great proponent of Hindu-Muslim unity but after seeing true colors of Congress (Hindu dominated party), he decided to join and become head of Muslim league...He went for Pakistan, campaigned for it, and being a lawyer, he won his case...Pakistan, on 14th August 1947 came into being on world's map.

Read the book of retired officer of the Indian Army and a former cabinet minister of India, Jaswant Singh, titled "Jinnah, India, Independence and Partition".....This book pissed off Indian nationalists to an extent that they fired Mr. Singh from their party. He wrote Truth.

After 30 yrs, I'm sacked over a book: Jaswant

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/after-30-yrs-im-sacked-over-a-book-jaswant-399982

Without mincing his words, Jaswant Singh has squarely put the blame for partition of India in 1947 on Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Vallabhai Patel and the Congress rather than Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. In his book, he evokes momentous episodes that set in motion the movement for partition of India besides the “epic journey of Jinnah from being the ambassador of Hindu-Muslim unity, the liberal constitutionalist and Indian nationalist to the Quaid-i-Azam of Pakistan”.

https://www.dawn.com/news/866013

Interesting fact: The grand father of Mr. Jinnah was Hindu but afterwords, he accepted Islam.

Something I found on roots of Mr. Jinnah

Roots of Jinnah

Here are some interesting facts on the Lohana roots of Mohammad Ali Jinnah the founding father of Pakistan:

He was the grandson of a Gujarati Premji bhai Thakkar (Gondal – Gujarat – India), who, to support his family, entered into the trading of fish within the coastal town of Veraval (Gujarat – India).

His business, however, clashed with the (vegetarian) strong moral ethics of the Lohanas (A caste in Kathiyavadi – Gujarati) and as a result he was ostracised from the community.

He made enough money in this trade and attempted to rejoin the community. He also discontinued the fish business. The Lohana leaders, in their wisdom, did not accept his request. (think about the course of history, if they had not had inflated egos and had welcomed him back!)

Premjibhai’ s son Punjalal Thakkar (Jinnah’s father) was enraged at his father’s humiliation and reacted like any other Lohana – with equal and opposite force. He adopted the Muslim religion and changed the names of all his four sons.

However, he continued to use his Gujarati nickname:
Zino (pronounced Jinno in old fashioned Gujarati) which means ‘Skinny.’
Jinno`s son – Mohammad Ali – changed his family name to Jinnah – the nickname of his converted father.

So, here is the fact. Gandhiji who effectively gave birth to independent India (Bharat) and Jinnah, who is the father of Pakistan , are both sons of Saurashtra,(old Katahivad) Gujarat!

https://www.smileosmile.com/celebrities/roots-of-jinnah-a-amazing-historical-fact-probably-known-to-very-few/

There were lot of other people at the forefront of Pakistan campaign, like Mr. Iqbal, the poet

and Chaudhry Rehmat Ali, who published this:-

NOW OR NEVER

---------

Some praises for Mr. Jinnah :-

“Few individuals significantly alter the course of history. Fewer still modify the map of the world. Hardly anyone can be credited with creating a nation-state. Mohammad Ali Jinnah did all three.” Stanley Wolpert

“If Muslim League had 100 Gandhis and 200 Abdul Kalam Azad and Congress had only one Jinnah than India would have never divided”. – Vijay Laxmi Pandit

“Although without Gandhi, Hindustan would still have gained independence and without Lenin and Mao, Russia and China would still have endured Communist revolution, without Jinnah there would have been no Pakistan in 1947.” – John Biggs-Davison.

http://insider.pk/opinion/this-was-jinnah/

200 million Pakistanis along with whole world/history respect and admire this man....He had TB disease in last stage but didn't let anyone know of it....He died just one year after we gained independence, in 1948.

Jinnah’s Tuberculosis: Could His Secret Have Stopped Partition?

https://www.thequint.com/news/world/could-jinnahs-well-kept-secret-have-stopped-the-partition

Let me end this beautiful story with national anthem of Pakistan

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Thank you, Mr. Trudeau and Canada....We are humbled :D

I hope Pakistanis living in Canada do more for Canada and contribute to Canadian society...All power to them.

Statement by the Prime Minister on Pakistan’s Independence Day

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement on Pakistan’s Independence Day:

“Today, we join the people of Pakistan and members of the Pakistani community in Canada and around the world to celebrate Pakistan’s 72nd Independence Day.

“Canada was one of the first countries to establish diplomatic relations with Pakistan in 1947. The people-to-people ties between Canada and Pakistan are older still. People from what is now Pakistan first migrated to Canada over a century ago and, since then, our connections have grown and deepened.

“Today, Canada and Pakistan work together on a number of global and regional issues, including climate change, security and defence, development and prosperity, trade and investment, governance, and democracy.

“On behalf of the Government of Canada, Sophie and I wish everyone celebrating a joyful Independence Day, and invite Canadians to reflect on how the Pakistani-Canadian community has made Canada a stronger, more successful country.”

https://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2018/08/14/statement-prime-minister-pakistans-independence-day

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:27 am

Imran Khan is officially Pakistan’s 22nd prime minister

August 18, 2018
Samaa Web Desk

Imran Khan is the new prime minister of Pakistan. The 22nd prime minister of the country just took oath.

President Mamnoon Hussain administered the oath of the office of the prime minister to him at President House in Islamabad.

Imran stood on stage along with caretaker prime minister Nasirul Mulk and President Mamnoon Hussain.

President Hussain began administering the oath and Imran fumbled while reading it out. He could not pronounce Khatim-un-Nabbiyin and the president had to elaborate it for him.

Shortly after taking oath, Imran left for Prime Minister House where he was presented with a guard of honour.

Imran’s wife Bushra Maneka arrived at President House at 9:57am.

The prime minister’s security protocol arrived at Bani Gala to take Imran to President House at 9am and Imran left Bani Gala around half an hour later.

“Imran Khan has the capabilities and vision to bring change,” said Punjab Assembly Speaker Pervez Elahi. Our prayers are with him, he said.

Guests have started to arrive at President House.

“It was our dream to see Imran Khan as prime minister,” said Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Mehmood Khan. We will continue to perform the way we performed in KP for last five years, he added.

“The two biggest parties in the country, the PML-N and PPP, have not been able to deliver. Now we have hope in the shape of Imran Khan,” said PTI leader Shah Mehmood Qureshi.

Imran’s teammates from the 1992 cricket World Cup Waseem Akram, Javed Miandad, Ramiz Raja, Mushtaq Ahmed and Aqib Javed are at President House to attend their former captain’s oath-taking ceremony.

The ceremony was supposed to start at 9:30am.

Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa has arrived at President House.

Road to Prime Minister House

On Friday, the PTI chief was elected prime minister with 176 votes. His opponent, PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif, secured 96 votes. The PPP members refrained from voting.

After being elected the PM, Imran said in his speech, “I thank the nation for giving me the chance to bring a change… a change that this country was waiting for for 70 years.”

The first thing we must do is carrying out sweeping accountability, he said. “As God as my witness, no single NRO will be given to any dacoit.” They will all be made to bring the money back.

No military dictator reared me, he said. My father was not in politics. I did not have any experience. It has been a 22-year struggle, he added.

The only other person who struggled like this, was my leader, Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah.

In an event indicative of the country’s bitter political divisions, opposition lawmakers surrounded Imran and disrupted his speech by shouting “thief, thief Imran Khan” and “puppet”.

https://www.samaa.tv/news/2018/08/updates-imran-khan-to-take-oath-as-pakistans-22nd-prime-minister/

------------

British PM May, Imran Khan agree on stricter action against money laundering

ISLAMABAD: British Prime Minister Theresa May called Prime Minister-elect Imran Khan, the chief of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), and congratulated him on emerging as victor in the July 25 election, a Downing Street spokesperson said.

According to the spokesperson, the British prime minister said that her government is ready to further strengthen and diversify bilateral diplomatic relations between Pakistan and the United Kingdom.

"We will give our cooperation the incoming government," she said.

Both the leaders agreed that money laundering is a huge issue for the developing economies, adding that Pakistan would desire to receive assistance from the UK to minimise money laundering.

The British PM also noted the importance of Pakistan delivering on its commitments to strengthen institutions responsible for upholding the rule of law, and to advance the rights of women and minorities.

Prime Minister-elect Imran Khan expressed his gratitude to the British prime minister for her warm wishes.

British PM May:-

Pleased to talk to @ImranKhanPTI, Prime Minister of Pakistan. The UK and Pakistan share deep and important links. There is plenty for our two countries to work together on, not least increasing bilateral trade and mutual security issues.

https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1030729217946857472

https://www.geo.tv/latest/207844-british-pm-may-calls-imran-khan-agrees-stricter-action-against-money-laundering

----------

University of Bradford

Congratulations to our former Chancellor, @ImranKhanPTI. Today he has been sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Pakistan. From cricket hero, to #UniversityofBradford Chancellor, to Pakistani PM, an incredible journey. #PrimeMinisterIK #TeamBradford

https://twitter.com/UniofBradford/status/1030755935151632385

----------

Imran Khan takes oath as 22nd prime minister of Pakistan | 18 August 2018

Capital TV; Prime minister of Pakistan Imran Khan presented with guard of honour

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:52 am

No holiday when there is a country to be run, Prime Minister Imran Khan has reached office

Sunday 19 Aug 2018

https://www.facebook.com/ImranKhanOfficial/

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:32 pm

I will say I think you folks have elected one of the best looking politicians of the whole world. I just hope his record ends up looking as good as he does.

From what I've seen and heard of him I'm optimistic that he's going to do a good job for Pakistan. [B-o]

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:54 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I will say I think you folks have elected one of the best looking politicians of the whole world. I just hope his record ends up looking as good as he does.

From what I've seen and heard of him I'm optimistic that he's going to do a good job for Pakistan. [B-o]

I am dead sure he will do what he says. Pashtuns are usually very honest people. The name Khan represents leadership and pride... His Indian cricket fellow, a Sikh Punjabi, named Navjot Singh Sidhu, who once played cricket with him, has nothing but praise for this Khan...He said that Imran Khan, being a captain of Pakistan cricket team, always lead from the front...

More what he said in below article

Navjot Singh Sidhu praises Pakistan's Imran Khan 'Sahab': He can be trusted

Aug 02, 2018, 17:47 IST | mid-day online desk

Along-with Navjot Sidhu, Imran Khan has also invited former Indian cricketers Sunil Gavaskar along with actor Aamir Khan for his oath-taking ceremony

Navjot Sidhu and Imran Khan

Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu on Thursday said that Pakistan Prime Minister-in-waiting Imran Khan's invite for the oath-taking ceremony is a personal one. While addressing a press conference here, Sidhu said, "He (Imran Khan) has risen from the scratch in politics, he has exhibited great character. I see him as a ray of hope."

"It is a huge honour for me. It is a personal invitation from him and not a political one. I respect the foreign policy of the Government (of India) and the country, but this is a personal invitation. I believe sports persons and artistes break barriers," he added. Sidhu said on Wednesday that he would attend the swearing-in-ceremony of Imran Khan which is scheduled on August 11.

Calling Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chief as 'a man of character', Sidhu asserted that the leader could be trusted. "It is a great honour and I accept the invitation. Men of genius are admired, men of power are feared but men of character are trusted. Khan Sahab is a man of character. He can be trusted," Sidhu said.

Imran Khan has also invited former Indian cricketers Sunil Gavaskar along with actor Aamir Khan for his oath-taking ceremony. PTI yesterday confirmed that the Prime Minister-in-waiting will take oath at the President House in Islamabad.

Imran Khan had earlier conveyed his desire to take oath at the D-Chowk or Parade Ground. Quoting sources in the President House, Geo News however reported that the location of the ceremony would not be shifted.

https://www.mid-day.com/articles/navjot-singh-sidhu-praises-pakistans-imran-khan-sahab-he-can-be-trusted/19663161

------------

A video of US comedian who compared Imran Khan with Trump....People get crazy in comment section....When Indians, the bitter enemy of Pak, start defending Pakistani leader Khan, that means Trevor messed up big time :)

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:06 am

Fighter Fighter:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I am dead sure he will do what he says. Pashtuns are usually very honest people. The name Khan represents leadership and pride...
...and magic!

Does he plan to visit Canada?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 20  Next