bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:09 pm

Eric Margolis a conservative? The man is extremely anti-bush and is in fact a very pro-liberal supporter.Other than that I do agree that the world financial market is definitely going to be an interesting ride for the immediate future.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:33 am

Do you have a source for that quote? It's not that I don't believe that it is from Margolis, but every column I've read of his in the last year has had a decidedly liberal bent. If in fact it is his writing I will be more than surprised. But in keeping with the tone of this forum I noted your comment to grow up. Why is it with some people on this site that ANY time you disagree with their statements they immediately resort to either snide remarks or outright insults.
You might want to think about that Avro.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Margolis has always been a conservative writer, 2Cdo. It could be that's why he doesn't agree with the right-wing radicals in the Bush regime.

As for snide remarks...you make your share of those too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:36 am

I'm still waiting for the source of that quote. As for him always being a conservative every column I've read in the last year has had a definite left or liberal slant to it, just the way I see it!
As far as the snide remarks I have decided as my New Years resolution not to initiate any, but if they are directed at me I'll respond in kind, a little tit for tat you might say :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:24 am

It doesn't really matter how you see it, 2Cdo. The man is a conservative. He is not a Bush supporter, he is not a Harperite, he is not part of the neo-conservative/neo-liberal movement, he is not a right-wing radical, he's not a religious fundamentalist. He is a conservative and is recognised as such by the rest of the world. He's also recognised as an excellent commentator.

Trying to write off what he has to say by trying to label him with a title that you consider to be derisive does not change any of those things.

It's funny...I was watching Scott Taylor of Esprit de Corps magazine on CPAC a month or so ago. Taylor is the Canadian journalist who was taken hostage in Iraq, then released. He has never been embedded with the US military. He was saying much the same thing that Margolis is saying. I've also seen speeches by Romeo Dallaire with the same basic message...that the US is in way over its head and won't acknowledge it, that US actions in Iraq are making things worse, not better.

Are those two just liberals or leftists too? Should we ignore what they have to say? Should we just accept that the US can go to war to gain access to any resources they want?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:18 pm

Wow, it doesn't really matter how you see it. Thanks for your 2 cents worth but it really doesn't matter how you see it! :lol:
So according to you my views on something don't matter?
Funny but I've been thinking the same about most of your pro-NDP posts, they don't really matter! :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:38 pm

$1:
Wow, it doesn't really matter how you see it. Thanks for your 2 cents worth but it really doesn't matter how you see it!

The point is that your opinion does not change fact, 2Cdo. Margolis is a conservative. He is known as a conservative commentator. It is reflected in his writing and it is reflected by who he writes for. I didn't decide that and you can't change that by denying it.

This bizarre impule of those on the right to label anybody they don't agree with as a liberal or a leftist or a communist belies a real lack of consideration.

Your disagreement with what Margolis says comes from his position that George Bush has made a severe error in Iraq. That isn't something that makes one left or right. In Margolis' case it comes from studying foreign affair and conflict for most of his career. He understands the politics and the likely outcomes. He is professional enough to give voice to that instead of toeing some imaginary line that puts criticising the Bush regime off limits.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:12 pm

Maybe the man is a conservative, maybe not. You seem to be of the opinion he is. I based my opinions on his news columns of the past year or so, that seemed to have a decidedly liberal bent.
Maybe he has changed his views, it isn't unheard of(Scott Brison comes to mind). The gist of the matter is that I agreed that the world economy is going to be in for some hard times. That I thought would be a no-brainer to anyone who understands the world economic structure. It will affect us all and the overall cost of EVERYTHING will continue to rise for the immediate future.
I will concede that Margolis is/was a conservative but in the future please don't hold Scott Taylor up as a journalist/military expert as I personally know the man and if he was half as smart as he thought he was he would be running the country!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:54 pm

Avro, without you thinking I'm being a dickhead or something, what would you suggest the west do in regards to the war on terror?
I'm just looking for suggestions without being judgemental, it seems alot of people are against the war on terror but offer no alternatives.
I won't even bother with the war in Iraq because their is no grey area, you're either for or against and no discussion is going to change anyones opinion.
The war on terror though isn't so cut and dried, and I'm wondering what you might offer as a means to deal with it. I look forward to your reply! [B-o]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:01 pm

Whatever happened to respect?

What pisses you off more than anything in this life? Let me give it a stab. When someone disrespects you, you feel hurt, angered, dismayed. Ultimately, you feel a pounding desire to reciprocate or at least assert that you have been insulted.

With regard to Margolis being a liberal or a conservative. Who the hell cares. The guy tells it like it is. To me, that seems rare in the mainstream media. This guy sounds like a man to listen to.

With regard to US foreign policy? Well, what can I say? Among many things, they are reckless, disrespectful and don’t even make an effort to be believable when they make up lies. As a side note, my overwhelming impression is that most US troops believe the rhetoric and seem innocent. This aspect of the story seems to just another one of the many tragedies created by US foreign policy.
My answer to Terrorism?
1) Recognize the fact that most of these groups out there are not terrorists but rebels.
2) Find out why they are rebelling
3) Try to give them what they want.
4) Make populations in problem areas so happy that they will longer be interested in fighting. World pressure could facilitate this.
5) Beating a population into submission has never worked … ever!! Beating a population into submission only serves to anger that population.
6) People are people the world over. Everyone just wants personal security and the ability to function within the culture they know.