Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:30 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:45 pm

We all said this was coming China was waiting for the world to be distracted and now they're going to end HK once and for all.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Now, will they take big gulps or small nibbles? If the move on HK how far behind can Taiwan be?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 pm

Scape Scape:
Now, will they take big gulps or small nibbles? If the move on HK how far behind can Taiwan be?

Taiwan isn't Hong Kong and they won't go quietly into the night.

And they won't be alone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:25 pm

You think the US would come to Taiwan’s aid? Not under this administration. China will just throw some money and trademarks Trump’s way and he’ll act like nothing is wrong.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

Taiwan=Poland.

Sure, they will put up a scrap but without backup how long can they hold?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:34 pm

What’s the red line for the west going to be?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:34 pm

Scape Scape:
Taiwan=Poland.

Was Poland worth it ?

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
What’s the red line for the west going to be?

Better hope it's not Obama's red line. You know, the one that never existed.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:38 pm

Scape Scape:

And they won't be alone.

Something people here may find interesting. When I was doing my second Parasitology Class, the Prof told me a story ( and I have heard this only from him, not from a Journal.
The Red army had pushed the Nationalist Army into Formosa and was about to make a naval invasion when large numbers of the Red Army came down with schistosomiasis. This rendered enough of their men sick enough to not be fit for duty. By the time the plague had subsided the U S Navy was sitting in the Taiwan Strait and the Reds reconsidered. Score one for S. japonicum

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:52 am

一个国家一个系统

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:10 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
Scape Scape:

And they won't be alone.

Something people here may find interesting. When I was doing my second Parasitology Class, the Prof told me a story ( and I have heard this only from him, not from a Journal.
The Red army had pushed the Nationalist Army into Formosa and was about to make a naval invasion when large numbers of the Red Army came down with schistosomiasis. This rendered enough of their men sick enough to not be fit for duty. By the time the plague had subsided the U S Navy was sitting in the Taiwan Strait and the Reds reconsidered. Score one for S. japonicum

That wouldn't surprise me in the least but, much like the Kamikaze that saved Japan from Mongol invasion nature, pure blind luck and lousy hygiene seems to keep countries safe.

But since it's unlikely to happen again I can see why the Taiwanese have armed themselves to the teeth and why the US is moving troops there in accordance with their Taiwan Relations Act.

Taiwan knows it can't win a protracted war but, if they can make it painful enough for the Red's to take the island it's quite likely that they'll at the least think twice about trying and failing. The Nationalists are probably hoping the people on the mainland would get tired of their gov't wasting human and financial resources in a protracted attempt to invade Taiwan. Especially since the Red Chinese regime has nothing to fear from the Nationalists except their democracy.

Besides the Red's haven't tried to take Quemoy in over 50 years so if they're going to attack Taiwan they'll likely try and take the biggest thorn in their, the Kinmen Islands before the big battle. Something that should give the Taiwanese and the Americans enough time to brace for the onslaught. And if history has taught us anything you need a powerful enough navy to ensure success and a powerful enough air force to ensure it's protection which means China has some problems. They aren't even the best navy in the region and they haven't got a dominant enough air force to ensure that any invasion attempt will be successful especially if the US and their allies step in to stop them.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:17 pm

That wouldn't surprise me in the least but, much like the Kamikaze that saved Japan from Mongol invasion nature, pure blind luck and lousy hygiene seems to keep countries safe.

But since it's unlikely to happen again I can see why the Taiwanese have armed themselves to the teeth and why the US is moving troops there in accordance with their Taiwan Relations Act.

Taiwan knows it can't win a protracted war but, if they can make it painful enough for the Red's to take the island it's quite likely that they'll at the least think twice about trying and failing. The Nationalists are probably hoping the people on the mainland would get tired of their gov't wasting human and financial resources in a protracted attempt to invade Taiwan. Especially since the Red Chinese regime has nothing to fear from the Nationalists except their democracy.

Besides the Red's haven't tried to take Quemoy in over 50 years so if they're going to attack Taiwan they'll likely try and take the biggest thorn in their, the Kinmen Islands before the big battle. Something that should give the Taiwanese and the Americans enough time to brace for the onslaught. And if history has taught us anything you need a powerful enough navy to ensure success and a powerful enough air force to ensure it's protection which means China has some problems. They aren't even the best navy in the region and they haven't got a dominant enough air force to ensure that any invasion attempt will be successful especially if the US and their allies step in to stop them.

R=UP agreed

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:50 pm

So how about some reality instead of "stories I heard".
Chiang Kai Shek took the navy with him. Mao couldn't even get to Quemoy and Matsu...

and they still have the same problem. Crossing four times the width of the English Channel without being blown out of the water.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:19 pm

herbie herbie:
Chiang Kai Shek took the navy with him. Mao couldn't even get to Quemoy and Matsu...

and they still have the same problem. Crossing four times the width of the English Channel without being blown out of the water.

What? You don’t like stories. Besides, I would have thought the USN Pacific Fleet would be at least just a bit more intimidating than what a Chaing had on offer :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:03 pm

herbie herbie:

The difference is that now the PLA has a decent air force with close to 1500 modern fighters, which is 3 or 4 times what Taiwan has. The PLA Navy is also much more powerful than the collection of coastal patrol boats Mao built. Add to that the hundreds of surface to surface missiles the PLA has emplaced across the Taiwan Strait, the PLA can invade Taiwan under the cover of missiles and air cover, but it will be very costly getting across the Strait.

Most government buildings in Taiwan are built like bunkers and the Taiwanese Army is well trained and equipped, so taking the island is going to be a meat grinder for the PLA, but they would eventually do that too.

Having said all that, a military invasion of Taiwan is unlikely because it would likely turn a large portion of the world's major nations against China. Given that Taiwan is also one of the largest foreign investors in China, it would kill that golden goose and seriously hurt the Chinese economy.